Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like his second book. There's complaints about poor picture quality but that doesn't really matter to me. The first book I didn't like as much, because as someone said, it's all just stuff that was already on Seriouseats.
I would say it definitely does have info on cooking (maybe not as much wok specific, but tbh there's not too much to talk about) but it is kind of sprinkled randomly throughout the book.

A lot of the well-known websites for Asian cooking are not very good. Recipes are often very underseasoned/basic and their strength is probably SEO/pictures more than cooking. The problem is there are so few people doing this that just dumping a ton of basic recipes + basic SEO is enough to be ranked highly.

The correct height for a gyuto is 60mm
63mm on a 260 is perfect, I'm not proud. It's all about comfort.

web.jpg

functional height is way more complicated than a mm measurement. Regardless, it's all overrated. People who say"ugh, love this knife but wish is was 56mm instead of 53mm because I can't use something that short" are delusional IMO.

On the height issue, I'd rather have a 270 Suji than full size cleaver as my sole use knife. I don't believe in rectangles >185x60 and think the ideal size is 178x55.

I'd also be welling to bet there is at least one TF apologist who has sent a custom knife back to a western maker because it was a couple mm or <10g off spec.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back