Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah the Yankee part of Texas (north of a line that goes El Paso-Austin-Houston basically) is a culinary wasteland as far as TexMex goes and possibly barbecue too.

Mmm, sometimes I do crave pineapple and Canadian bacon on a pizza; or arugula and prosciutto; or white pizza with clams, bacon; or anchovies; or kinchi, squid, hotdogs. Honestly I'd be bored to tears just eating traditional Italian, or standard pizza house concoctions.

Pizza is a blank canvas. Pizza is akin to rap music—a vehicle for cultural identity.

View attachment 269277
BBQ Brisket Pizza
View attachment 269275
NJ Taco Pizza
View attachment 269276
Hawaiian Pizza with Kalua Pork, Portuguese Sausage, Spam, Char Sui and Fresh Pineapple
View attachment 269278
I feel like this post made the very vocal online Italians who claim only Margherita pizza is true pizza have an aneurysm, and I love it.

Also kranch sounds like a monster 17th century German parents would threaten children with if they don’t finish their vegetables. Like a salad themed krampus

I feel like this post made the very vocal online Italians who claim only Margherita pizza is true pizza have an aneurysm, and I love it.

Also kranch sounds like a monster 17th century German parents would threaten children with if they don’t finish their vegetables. Like a salad themed krampus

Real, authentic, Italian pizza.

There’s great bbq across the—not hard to find good ‘que in Oakland, NY, Chicago, etc. Cooking up bbq ain’t rocket science.

Yeah. Slovaceks is decent for kielbasa, but it’s a challenge for sure.

Re other bbqs with pork, the problem is the midwesterners douse the damned thing in sugar, and the carolingian sauces are just gross. Pulled pork can be excellent, though, I’ll give you that, but so many people screw that up too.

Southern Idaho, Eastern Oregon, Central and Eastern Washington all have some outstanding Mexican food. The closer the town is to farming, the higher the chances of the food being excellent.

There's actually pretty damn fine Mexican food scattered throughout small towns all over the Midwest too for much of the same reason.

I have lived a lot of places and traveled a lot. The absolute worst place for Tex Mex that has restaurants that claim to be Tex Mex is London, England (although I haven't been in ten years things can change). In the States the worst place for Tex Mex is New England. Followed closely by Mid-Atlantic. Most other places have a high enough percentage of folks from Mexican descent that if you can't find something decent you just aren't trying hard enough. Or you belong to a dogmatic food religion based on where you live and I can't help you there.

There's actually pretty damn fine Mexican food scattered throughout small towns all over the Midwest too for much of the same reason.

In the States the worst place for Tex Mex is New England. Followed closely by Mid-Atlantic. Most other places have a high enough percentage of folks from Mexican descent
if you’re in New England or canadia and see something resembling Mexican, just don’t. It is practically guaranteed to be the worst food you’ve ever had.

Russian food without the influences of its former satellite states is pretty grim. The best Russian food is usually Ukrainian or Georgian in origin
Disagree. Yes, the ex-Soviet republics have influence Russian cooker, but what cuisine isn’t without significant influences. Personally I love Russian food, which was at one time a major cuisine on the world stage.

Disagree. Yes, the ex-Soviet republics have influence Russian cooker, but what cuisine isn’t without significant influences. Personally I love Russian food, which was at one time a major cuisine on the world stage.
I've never been to Russia, but I eat at Kachka in Portland every chance I get and like it a lot; guess it's broadly ex-Soviet Republics cuisine. But even basic Russian dishes like the pelmeni, cabbage rolls, soups, black bread, and the little salads/cold dishes are great. For that kind of stuff I liked Cafe Yarmarka in Seattle back when it existed, if anyone remembers that place.

Serviceable pork bbq isn't that hard to find, good beef bbq is rare. Great bbq sausage is also exceedingly difficult to find.
I've preached this gospel before and agree with these sentiments. It's hard to screw up pork but also hard to make it truly shine. Beef is easy to screw up and hard to perfect.

I'm all over the country on a regular basis; Carolinas have best pork, Texas has best beef. Not to say you can't get good stuff elsewhere, but as a regional per-capita of excellence those are my seasoned observations.

Yep. Houston is an incredible city to eat in, but it is, without question, a pizza wasteland. The rest of Texas is pretty much the same way.
Has Canne Rosso made it down to Houston yet? Started in Dallas and was expanding when I left. Good VPN Neapolitan pizza and one the restaurants I miss most from my time in TX.

Back