Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have yet to thin a knife in being here for 5 years.

It might help if I stopped selling for something new....
I could have said that, too, until recently. I had no need to thin, because I don't take much off when I sharpen, and the wear is spread out over a number of knives.

Then I bought a knife that would have been perfect for me, if only it were thinner behind the edge. I could not bear to just use it, nor to just sell it; I could almost see the perfect knife for me hiding within its corpulent shape.

So I set to work. That was the pebble that started the avalanche. Now I always seem to have a thinning project or two going on.

99% of thinning for me is thinning the tip 1/3 of the knife to restore geometry after sharpening out chips or fixing the tip.

I like thin tips and I'm hard on them so I end up thinning a little bit every time I sharpen.

I couldn't care less if the heel of a knife is an absolute axe. Fat bottomed girls rule the world.

99% of thinning for me is thinning the tip 1/3 of the knife to restore geometry after sharpening out chips or fixing the tip.

I like thin tips and I'm hard on them so I end up thinning a little bit every time I sharpen.

I couldn't care less if the heel of a knife is an absolute axe. Fat bottomed girls rule the world.
Nobody likes a flat butt. Convex all the way.

Concave butts are just weird.
Concave knives on the other hand can work very well.

Half of our geometry issues are due to absolutely out of control want of super tall knives 210s with 56 height 240s with 60+, just get a rectangle already and stop ruining perfectly good triangles. It doesn't add up for me how same people can request every knife to be extremely tall while complaining about food release and praising how great KS used to be🤷‍♂️

Half of our geometry issues are due to absolutely out of control want of super tall knives 210s with 56 height 240s with 60+, just get a rectangle already and stop ruining perfectly good triangles. It doesn't add up for me how same people can request every knife to be extremely tall while complaining about food release and praising how great KS used to be🤷‍♂️
It's probably no coincidence that the quest for better food release started at around the same time that taller knives became more popular.
My favorite potato knife isn't some fancy hollow ground gyuto or godly convex monster. It's my Ashi 210 petty.
Although admittedly I'm one of those people who cheats with drawcuts.

It's probably no coincidence that the quest for better food release started at around the same time that taller knives became more popular.
My favorite potato knife isn't some fancy hollow ground gyuto or godly convex monster. It's my Ashi 210 petty.
Although admittedly I'm one of those people who cheats with drawcuts.
I don’t think draw cuts are cheating. In most circumstances I think complaints over food release can be summed up with “skill issue”

I don’t think draw cuts are cheating. In most circumstances I think complaints over food release can be summed up with “skill issue”
Most of the time I'm actually struggling to see the problem. It's somewhat relevant when you're making dice or brunoise because it's a bit easier when the product stays on the board for the next cut.... but for all other things... 🤷‍♂️

Never cared about food release, but I also have a 300x80x10mm gyuto on order and don’t mind giving myself joint issues by using a weapon of war to mince garlic at weird angles.

Halloween Skeleton GIF

I agree. Concave is exceeding functional.

45mm 210s are awesome. 50mm 240s are my wheelhouse.

Concave bevels are a great choice for someone that has no desire to work on their knives aside from sharpening. They can go much longer without needing to be thinned. Nothing wrong with them, but just not for me.

@Barmoley I don’t think every profit is a flip.

I’m sure there are lots of factors you could take into account. For me, if you’ve owned it less than a year (arbitrary), haven’t improved it (saya/polish), and are selling for more than maker’s MSRP, you’re probably flipping. Yeah, raffles are muddy, or if you buy from Snake at a crazy price and then try to sell.

I have no problem with knives being sold at market price, regardless of much the owner paid or how long they had it. @OwlWoodworks certainly did not and does not owe anyone an explanation for his pricing and I’m sorry he now feels pressured into explaining all of that on his BST posts.

Calling out “flippers” for their pricing when they’re an honest normal person just selling a knife only serves to drive sellers to other platforms like eBay. “Honest” is the key word - definitely call out the misrepresented knives, the knife acquired for free as a reject/second and sold at full price, etc.

If you sit next to @martinhuber on a plane on his way to a bladeshow and by some miracle manage to out-drink him on a bet and he hands you a knife for free, by all means sell it the next day for $600. If Yannick is your bestie and he gives you a knife for Christmas, hell yes sell it to me for 1k. And if a River Jump sells for 3k, then sell it for 3k.

And @OwlWoodworks dammit I still want your Straub jailbird but that one I think we should make an exception and you should sell it to me for 50% off. On 2nd thought I still can’t afford it at 50% off so maybe 75% off.

Rolling your cuffs on pants looks dumb as hell.

I've been looking at some "heritage" (non work focused) redwing moc toes after being smitten with my moc toe work boots. Every model and 95% of random users on IG have their pants rolled up like they're about to go walking through the surf. Just buy the right size!

View attachment 303798
View attachment 303800
They’re showing off their fancy selvedge denim. It’s a whole thing, the same way we show off patina and normal people think it just looks like an old, dirty knife from Saw II.

NYC Boston has the worst drivers in the USA. NYC drivers are just aggressive and a lot of people trying to make a living off of them (cabs uber).

Boston in my experience has just been idiots.
Driving through Chinatown in Boston was a nerve-wracking experience

NYC Boston has the worst drivers in the USA. NYC drivers are just aggressive and a lot of people trying to make a living off of them (cabs uber).

Boston in my experience has just been idiots.
Driving through Chinatown in Boston was a nerve-wracking experience
Honestly, I think its the street layout that contributes to it. NYC area is a grid so its somewhat predictable.

In boston, some ******* stops you from making a turn you are instantly lost and going through some random ass toll tunnel for the 2nd time.

Houston has a traffic circle with internal yields - most accident prone intersection in the country I bet. Just dumb design - I’ve seen dozens and dozens of accidents there.

And Houston has some pretty horrendous drivers at a baseline. And lots of unregistered vehicles with paper plates. And terrible traffic in general.

Back