Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Different people have different personalities, though. I cannot imagine bouncing so hard off a knife that, when it arrives, I say "oh no way" and put the lid back on and resolve to sell it. But I can imagine a person who would do that.
I have definitely done ‘oh **** I should not have spent that much money on a knife…’

Or ‘oh **** this is completely redundant when compared to this other knife now I see them side by side’

What's weirdest to me is people saying "BNIB, only used to make dinner twice." What?
Where are these listings?? I keep missing them and would love to drop a sarcastic GLWS.

What's weirdest to me is people saying "BNIB, only used to make dinner twice." What?
IMHO, the term 'BNIB' on BST is nonsensical—it's like cars, once you drive it off the lot, it's 'used,' touched by another owner's hands, new car smell gone.
I prefer terms like: NRFB (never removed from box), mint/perfect, excellent, very good, good, fair, BUATTSOOT (banged up and thinned the s**t out of this).

I think BNIB is likely just rife with dishonesty. Not knowing who to trust and who not to as a newer user, I just distrust any claim of BNIB in BST.

Of course scrupulous honesty about condition and history is a must for listings.

Different people have different personalities, though. I cannot imagine bouncing so hard off a knife that, when it arrives, I say "oh no way" and put the lid back on and resolve to sell it. But I can imagine a person who would do that.

You're not likely to see a listing from me that says "never sharpened." I've had a few knives that I didn't much like when they arrived, just seemed wrong somehow, but after a good sharpening and some use, got very affectionate about.

tbh I just have more knives than Im going to use so a lot of the time it's less that and more I think oh Ill get to this one eventually and a year later Im looking to reclaim some shelf space

IMHO, the term 'BNIB' on BST is nonsensical—it's like cars, once you drive it off the lot, it's 'used,' touched by another owner's hands, new car smell gone.
I prefer terms like: NRFB (never removed from box), mint/perfect, excellent, very good, good, fair, BUATTSOOT (banged up and thinned the s**t out of this).
This is a false equivalence. For one to drive a car off the lot you have to drive it. That's use any way you look at it. If you didn't use the knife for what knives are used for than it hasn't been used. It is not like knives go bad if you look at them or even hold them. For another, cars loosing value as soon as you drive them off the lot has very little to do with minimal use since many of these cars that are sold by a dealer as brand new have been driven, by the dealer or test driven by you or other prospective buyers.

I've had a few knives that I didn't much like when they arrived, just seemed wrong somehow, but after a good sharpening and some use, got very affectionate about.
Same here. A recent BST Newham felt weird nor did it excite me when I first held it. After a meal or 2, I love the damn thing. Felt the same way with my RDG, now you'll have to pry it from my hands in my casket.
I think it's funny that we're talking about martinis interspersed with talk of buying a knife and then regretting the purchase when it arrives. They seem like they could be related discussions.
The only regret I'd have during this scenario is the martini not being bourbon

Me, for example. Thought that a rainbow petty would be nice. Couldn't stand looking at it for more than ten seconds in a row up close. No way.

This is a false equivalence. For one to drive a car off the lot you have to drive it. That's use any way you look at it. If you didn't use the knife for what knives are used for than it hasn't been used. It is not like knives go bad if you look at them or even hold them. For another, cars loosing value as soon as you drive them off the lot has very little to do with minimal use since many of these cars that are sold by a dealer as brand new have been driven, by the dealer or test driven by you or other prospective buyers.
Point taken, sensible. I guess for me, I can't imagine buying a knife and not ever using/testing it.

Careful, this sounds mean-spirited and poor journalistic practice.
IMG_0103.jpeg

"should have discussed it here" basically the same as "we'd listen if the tone were different" huh?

I think BNIB is likely just rife with dishonesty. Not knowing who to trust and who not to as a newer user, I just distrust any claim of BNIB in BST.
Have you ever bought anything in BST? I’ve bought 100-200 items easily over the past decade things go great 99.999% of the time. Seems like a baseless claim

It is not unreasonable for you as a newer member to mistrust and be careful until you learn about the place, get a feel for the people and the culture. This is a very decent place and most transactions in my experience go well. I've done hundreds. Nevertheless, be careful and do your due diligence like with any transaction anywhere. BNIB does not mean the person is lying.

I've never bought from BST or sold from it. There are many people who seem to do so regularly, and likely plenty of good, solid transactions with no misleading from the buyers.

However, there have also been scams -- some identified and taken down, some not, and lying.

To me, the most likely thing not to be true is someone saying BNIB. Was the knife ever taken out of the box? What exactly does BNIB mean? I don't really know, so I take it to mean "probably not noticeably used."

I'm much more likely to trust someone saying that a knife was used for a few dinner preps than someone claiming it is BNIB.

I'm not saying many people are lying or not, I just...don't trust people on the internet that I have no experience dealing with. I doubt most people do as a matter of course.

I'm not saying many people are lying or not, I just...don't trust people on the internet that I have no experience dealing with. I doubt most people do as a matter of course.
Sure, but you realize that the topic of your post is your own mistrust, not any quality of the BST.

I've had very good experiences myself, without exception. Of course I am wary of people who don't post in knife discussions, or who appear to be here only to buy and sell.

It is a jab at those of use who criticized his writing.
Oh, I get that, it just doesn't make sense.

I've never bought from BST or sold from it. There are many people who seem to do so regularly, and likely plenty of good, solid transactions with no misleading from the buyers.

However, there have also been scams -- some identified and taken down, some not, and lying.

To me, the most likely thing not to be true is someone saying BNIB. Was the knife ever taken out of the box? What exactly does BNIB mean? I don't really know, so I take it to mean "probably not noticeably used."

I'm much more likely to trust someone saying that a knife was used for a few dinner preps than someone claiming it is BNIB.

Your conclusion is totally valid and reasonable. That said BNIB means it hasn't been used I have and sold knives that I haven't used, at all. I don't want to lie and say I used them if I haven't. I could force myself to use them and say so to make people more comfortable, but that seems backwards somehow.

I also haven't yet bought a BNIB knife that I could tell was used, so either I just can't tell or it hasn't been used and to me these are the same.

Back