Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No I meant that the actual stone tends to feel gummy. It just dries up constantly, and you get residual slurry that literally starts to feel gummy. It's basically a stone that feels much better if you soak it for a while, but you can't since it's a magnesium stone that will develop spider cracks from soaking (which mine already did even tho I barely soaked it).

I used get all over extreme taped blade, but more and more I start to like medium subtle taper with a thin taper, some of the super extreme taper seems to lack strength in the front part of the blade
This just sounds like a middle aged man trying to rationalize why his non-tapered waist is okay. COGNITIVE DISSONANCE! :p
I'm the opposite; more taper is more better for me. It's what actually makes the tip a joy to use. If I want strength I'll just use the rear half of the blade.

No I meant that the actual stone tends to feel gummy. It just dries up constantly, and you get residual slurry that literally starts to feel gummy. It's basically a stone that feels much better if you soak it for a while, but you can't since it's a magnesium stone that will develop spider cracks from soaking (which mine already did even tho I barely soaked it).
I was referring to steel feel he reply to, but some stone do feel like that
This just sounds like a middle aged man trying to rationalize why his non-tapered waist is okay. COGNITIVE DISSONANCE! :p
I'm the opposite; more taper is more better for me. It's what actually makes the tip a joy to use. If I want strength I'll just use the rear half of the blade.
some Medium taper can have thin tip tho, just don’t want front 3/5 of the blade all be 1mm thick

some Medium taper can have thin tip tho, just don’t want front 3/5 of the blade all be 1mm thick
Shoutout Munetoshi and Mazaki.

My fiance caught me measuring an onion and thought I was insane, but that's the direction I've veen asking for on my customs. I just want a strong taper and slippy tippy for the first ~50-70 mm of a 240-250 blade. After that I like beef to add stiffness and keep the aggressive forward balance I like.

Just for clarification. The white parts will be at the 'ends' of the lobes where you get closest to the center. So the way you cut the lobes is you either go slightly around there, or if you want to maximize yield you cut right there, at which point removing the white is just a simple cut at the end of the lobe. As long as the white stuff is at the edge of the part you took off it's an easy thing to fix.

Unless you have those perfect almost square or perfectly round models people normally use to demonstrate the 'rolling out' method I always invariably ended up with either lower yield, or having a lot of white, because my peppers are just not never that regularly shaped, regardless of where I buy them here.
For the record, my way of taking down a bell pepper, because it hasn't been mentioned yet.

My goal is, almost always, to get the largest amount of uniformly sized pieces, for a stir-fry or whatever. One always wants that uniformity, both for visual reasons and because it makes everything get to the same degree of doneness in the same time.

So I would not lop off the sides like that, because it would not leave uniform squares to be had from the top. And I would not roll it out, for the same reason, except when I had to do that during an ARM because I had vowed to only use one nakiri, and it had a rounded toe.

What I do instead is use a paring knife to take out the core, making the smallest circle around it that I can. Then I make cuts from the top with a Chinese cleaver or whatever knife I feel like using, running the knife along the boundaries, and even angling the cut, to get the most pepper while excluding the white stuff. IOW, my vertical slices consist of a wide part, then a really narrow part for the white pith, then another wide part, and so on. It's quite quick, and gets me to the result I want, nice coherent wedges of the usable part of the pepper that I can then divide up into pieces that are reasonably uniform in mass. No need for a second step to remove the pith.

I do the barrel roll if the peppers are uniform and big and I don't need anything too pretty or precise. The problem I have with the barrel roll is it it leads to more cracking and bruising than cutting off panels. So if I need pretty and precise I peel panels off the peppers. I use the tops and bottoms and deal with the pith just fine either way. But for presentation it makes a big difference.

PXL_20240124_121252091.MP.jpg

Enjoyed S&B, took it along in my suitcase on the last trip—very little heat, which isn't an issue since I boost heat with other ingredients. Pricey though.
I just did a side-by-side comparison of the Lao Gan Ma Crispy Chilli Oil and S&B Crunchy Garlic with Chili Oil.

IMG_6349.jpg

While in the same groove, they are distinctly different. The Lao Gan Ma is very crispy, clean tasting, with not much salt and the chilli flavour being very forward. There are slight woody/bitter notes in the taste (in a good way).

The S&B is much saltier and has a strong meaty character, even though there is no meat in it. Reminiscent of chicken stock, and the umami is very strong, much more so than with the Lao Gan Ma.

They are different, and I like both.

Gravy and icing are the same in this way: they always degrade what’s beneath them. To state the obvious.

I just made gravy tonight. Roast chicken drippings, prosecco vinegar, spicy brown mustard, gizzard stock, chicken liver seared in butter and then smashed through a sieve, cremini mushrooms, and Vidalia onions. Don't care if you think it is degrading. Don't matter anyway, I am not sharing, we already ate it.

Are we calling hollandaise "gravy" on a Benedict?

I recently had savory beignets smothered in crawfish etouffee as a play on biscuits and gravy. Makes me pop a woody again just thinking about it.
I think of sauce and gravy very differently.
And good crawfish étouffée is in a world of its own - a wonderful world.
I just made gravy tonight. Roast chicken drippings, prosecco vinegar, spicy brown mustard, gizzard stock, chicken liver seared in butter and then smashed through a sieve, cremini mushrooms, and Vidalia onions. Don't care if you think it is degrading. Don't matter anyway, I am not sharing, we already ate it.
This is either about nomenclature, or my lack of exposure. Aside from the age old discussion of whether that tomato-based stuff on pasta is sauce or gravy, I think of gravy as containing AP flour or corn starch in notable quantities, or even arrowroot or tapioca flour. What you described sounds like a delicious sauce. Sorry I missed it!

But seriously, biscuits and gravy? Ham and red eye gravy? Carrot cake with a nice cream cheese frosting? Turkey, stuffing, and a nice giblet gravy? Bavarian creme donut with maple frosting?

All of these are wholes greater than the sum.

Aside from the age old discussion of whether that tomato-based stuff on pasta is sauce or gravy

Learn something everyday, I have never heard anyone call tomato sauce gravy before, but I guess it's a thing.

Pasta gravy? Tomato gravy? 🤨

Back