Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that for people to even try offal, it has to be in a form where it can't really be seen. E.g. salted fried liver will get protests, pate / headcheese household loves....
When I was very young I had a Cypriot babysitter, and spent a lot of time at her elderly parents house as they only lived down the road.

They barely spoke any English, but we had a fantastic relationship and I considered them my third set of grandparents.

They had me eating some pretty out-there stuff, including some dishes that featured a full lamb or sheep’s head (eyes, brain, everything). I don’t vividly remember that much from my childhood, but I sure as hell remember standing at the butcher’s counter, eye level with a row of skinned sheep heads staring right back at me.

I recently tried a lot of food release orientated knives and had about 10 in a side by side testing. I don’t want to name them all here, but out of all the knives I tried and tested, Kamon S hook was the clear #1 when it comes to food release. This convex knife I bought from @ashy2classy was #2. It outperformed all other “food release grind” knives I had in my testing (although by a tiny margin against a couple of them). In addition, both of these knives are S tier cutters if the easy of cutting was the only criteria. Another thing that’s a bit funny to me - I bet you if I list this absolutely S tier knife I bought from @ashy2classy on BST today at the same price I bought it at, it won’t be an instant sale.

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/miura-itadaki-y-tanaka-polished-as-240mm-gyuto.70075/
Can any of the knives that you tested dice onions without having the majority of the onions sticking to them?

When I was very young I had a Cypriot babysitter, and spent a lot of time at her elderly parents house as they only lived down the road.

They barely spoke any English, but we had a fantastic relationship and I considered them my third set of grandparents.

They had me eating some pretty out-there stuff, including some dishes that featured a full lamb or sheep’s head (eyes, brain, everything). I don’t vividly remember that much from my childhood, but I sure as hell remember standing at the butcher’s counter, eye level with a row of skinned sheep heads staring right back at me.

Yes! ability to eat these things usually need to come from early age familiarity. I think the proliferations of grocery stores impacted people's ability to eat a varied diet as people generally stick to consistent comfort rather then making do with what is around/available.

Pros and cons of this could probably take another 100 pages of debate here, but i do think its sad that many people can't eat certain things because foreignness of certain textures and tastes that used to be common just 30 years ago because you can get tenderloin and string beans year round wherever you go.

Burgers greatly benefit from the holy trinity of condiments—mayo, mustard, ketchup
IMG_2997.jpeg

IMG_2999.jpeg

I'll always remember trying calf's brain in Spain ~25 years ago. Opened my eyes that there is more than meat, potatoes, and pizza out there. I'm happy to dig into cheeks and tongue, but the pieces from the digestive tract just don't do it for me.
Cheek done up as cabeza is a real treat. I spent the winter reverse-engineering a somewhat local taquería’s cabeza since the Walmart reliably has cachete available.

When it’s fresh from the fridge, the fat can be a challenge. That’s when I reach for the Yoake, a knife that approaches gnarly cuts of cow with a real hold m’beer! attitude.

I grew up eating fried chicken gizzards from a real proper (country) chicken establishment that did them right. Just little nuggets of tender dark meat when freshly fried.

When I was in college I bullied a bunch of my fraternity brothers into trying them at a local BBQ place but I guess they'd been under a heat lamp because it was like eating fried rubber balls. They absolutely sucked, and no one trusted me again for months.

Love me chicken livers, beef cheeks, beef liver, pork knuckles, lengua, pâté, boudin all that irony rich goodness. Never could get down with tripe though. Tried a bunch and just don't care for it.

Growing up on the gulf coast definitely helps too since it's common knowledge the cheeks and throats of snapper/grouper are some of the best meat on the fish. That knowledge easily extrapolates to terrestrial critters for a kid

I grew up eating fried chicken gizzards from a real proper (country) chicken establishment that did them right. Just little nuggets of tender dark meat when freshly fried.

When I was in college I bullied a bunch of my fraternity brothers into trying them at a local BBQ place but I guess they'd been under a heat lamp because it was like eating fried rubber balls. They absolutely sucked, and no one trusted me again for months.

Love me chicken livers, beef cheeks, beef liver, pork knuckles, lengua, pâté, boudin all that irony rich goodness. Never could get down with tripe though. Tried a bunch and just don't care for it.

Growing up on the gulf coast definitely helps too since it's common knowledge the cheeks and throats of snapper/grouper are some of the best meat on the fish. That knowledge easily extrapolates to terrestrial critters for a kid
Mama, who grew up in Vienna, used Beuschel (lung as food) as a swear word.

Offal was familiar comfort food for me growing up—tripe, hearts, tongue and spleens, etc. Here's one of my fave offal counters, a pit stop when visiting family.
F6A31B5E-2F38-4B65-999E-0E840F655169 2.jpg

You only eat burgers with mustard being the only condiment?
Now that's truly an unpopular opinion.

Growing up we did cheeseburger with mustard and relish. It becomes a fallback preference. Also a good way to tell if the burger is actually any good.

I have just the recipe to ease people in!

View attachment 321821
Is this a Hannibal Lecter meal?

I like Mayonaisse spread thin. Most burger places use way too much. Many mayo based sauces. The whopper at BK is decent flame grilled piece of meat. Has good condiments but too much mayo, it shouldn't be first thing you taste over meat & vegetables. Also chains so much sauce makes a runny sloppy mess that dominates the burger. German mustard is a must for meat side of the bun.

Generally, the more upscale the burger, the more minimalist the approach—compared to down-market burgers slapping everything under the sun onto a burger.

Here's the $38 Minetta Tavern Burger made from prime beef cuts, served with caramelized onion.
km_02.jpg

TBH, I'd rather spend $26 on a pastrami on rye from Katz's Deli.

Last edited:
Back