What is Raquin Infatuation About?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things about a Raquin is that no two are alike. He does what he wants, and that can vary from knife to knife.

I have a 225 of his. Not sure what he called the grind on this one, but the best way to describe it is like a Takeda grind (low bevels, slight forged hollow behind). It was a satin finish originally and I've polished it to mostly kasumi. The handle is perfect size and weight, giving this knife a most awesome feel. I will not get rid of this knife. I generally prefer convex blades, but this knife just does something for me. It's only slightly heavier than some other knives I have, but it projects a feeling of strength, weight and power.

I had a smaller one, 200mm convex grind. Handle, while the same finished burnt oak, was just a bit oversized for my liking. I sold this one as it didn't gel with me the way the 225 did.

As for "they cut fine" - that could be said about many knives and makers. I've tried a lot, and they all cut fine. You just have to use the right knife for the right task.

So people seem to love the workhorse cutting tool that it is and people say it is exceptional at that job. That’s what I’m gathering and that makes sense as to why they are so popular. Thank you for the links to other similar posts.

5CB6FD79-8901-42BB-AEC0-D0755E082B9B.gif

I borrowed a KT from a forum member and went into it very skeptical but it’s basically a perfect workhorse with shinogi line knife in terms of steel grind profile finishing KU and handle. If those knives were easier to find I wouldn’t hesitate to buy.
FWIW I’m not even interested in western knives, but Raquin and Yannick appear to be exceptions

I love the aesthetics and the steel's good. I tried a couple of them that were total wedge monsters, but the one (I assume) labor's talking about was real nice. Good powerful workhorse, and actually cuts apples/squash instead of making them explode.

let's do this, but I do not do anything but the knife , someone have to manage this here for me.
Is this where I comment "I'm in!" ? :p

I would love to try one as well, 145sc has been something I've eyeing for a bit.
A bit occupied with the current drop, but hope this can happen!

Last edited:
I’m definitely in with this, been intrigued and want to try his work.

the only thing I ask is if it happen, I would like to make a raffle at the end, but the "winner" have to send cash to a charity something, like Red Cross or...
just to not make a knife for nothing...
Bryan, I’m happy to manage the PA if you want. If that seems agreeable, send me a PM and you can let me know if you have any opinions on the structure or number of participants. Personally, I‘d love to try a regular grind 210-240 (I’ve only ever tried KTs). I think that would be a popular choice, but of course whatever you want to make would be great. Also happy for someone else to organize.

the only thing I ask is if it happen, I would like to make a raffle at the end, but the "winner" have to send cash to a charity something, like Red Cross or...
just to not make a knife for nothing...

This is why I love this forum. We talk about a knife, we possibly get a passround knife direct from the maker and to raise money for charity. This is awesome.

Last edited:
One suggestion:
  1. Participants pay an entry fee and are responsible for cost to ship to next participant. Entry fee based on cost of knife divided by number of participants.
  2. Organizer sends collected fees to Bryan.
  3. Bryan donates to charity of his choice.
  4. After pass around, knife is raffled to participants.

mhhh, I can make a 220/240 regular grind with 145 core.
i do not like the idea to pay for entry , and I do not want to collect cash to send it somewhere else ( in & out is not fun to deal with for my books).

knife will cost xxxusd , each people in the PA should be ok to pay for the knife. and at the end I take a name , randomly , and the winner send money to charity , directly and keep the knife.
each member deal with post office & co. insured or not, but if there is a Pb during shipping ( lost or ....) the sender take this on him.

I'd also be willing to buy the knife up-front then organize the PA if that'd make it easier for you, @bryan03. Then I could collect "entries" from those wanting to participate and donate it once everything is in (would obviously provide a paper trail here to keep things above water). At the end of the PA we could randomly select a person who would get to keep the knife or offer up the option to buy the knife for initial purchase price less initial PA entry - potentially doubling the total charity contribution, but does limit the raffle aspect to those willing to purchase the knife outright at the end. Just some thoughts...

This place is cool and never ceases to amaze me ☺️

*Edit for additional clarity on what I'd propose:
  1. Someone buys knife direct from Bryan
    • This person becomes responsible for coordinating shipping, tracking knife process etc.
  2. 15-30 members in good standing who are interested pitch in $15-30 ea to enter the pass around
  3. Total funds collected, including anything potentially in excess of purchase price, gets donated to charity immediately
  4. Knife starts it's journey, each person getting 5-7 days with the knife before being responsible for sending it on
    • From the moment you receive the package to the moment the next member gets it, the knife is your responsibility - eg if you don't buy insurance and it gets lost, you pay the full value (as outlined by Ryan above)
  5. At the end if anyone is interested in purchasing the knife outright they can let the coordinator know. From those interested a name is drawn and that person pays and gets the knife. Their payment goes to charity as well. If no one wants to buy outright then everyone is in the raffle and a name gets drawn and that person pays shipping to them.
I think the benefit here is that we are almost certain to generate significantly more than the knifes value for charity, its easy for Bryan, and lets a good number of people try his work and someone obtain it permanently for no more than retail. I for one would happily pay $15-30 + shippings costs to get too try his work.

Last edited:
I'd also be willing to buy the knife up-front then organize the PA if that'd make it easier for you, @bryan03. Then I could collect "entries" from those wanting to participate and donate it once everything is in (would obviously provide a paper trail here to keep things above water). At the end of the PA we could randomly select a person who would get to keep the knife or offer up the option to buy the knife for initial purchase price less initial PA entry - potentially doubling the total charity contribution, but does limit the raffle aspect to those willing to purchase the knife outright at the end. Just some thoughts...

This place is cool and never ceases to amaze me ☺️

*Edit for additional clarity on what I'd propose:
  1. Someone buys knife direct from Bryan
    • This person becomes responsible for coordinating shipping, tracking knife process etc.
  2. 15-30 members in good standing who are interested pitch in $15-30 ea to enter the pass around
  3. Total funds collected, including anything potentially in excess of purchase price, gets donated to charity immediately
  4. Knife starts it's journey, each person getting 5-7 days with the knife before being responsible for sending it on
    • From the moment you receive the package to the moment the next member gets it, the knife is your responsibility - eg if you don't buy insurance and it gets lost, you pay the full value (as outlined by Ryan above)
  5. At the end if anyone is interested in purchasing the knife outright they can let the coordinator know. From those interested a name is drawn and that person pays and gets the knife. Their payment goes to charity as well. If no one wants to buy outright then everyone is in the raffle and a name gets drawn and that person pays shipping to them.
I think the benefit here is that we are almost certain to generate significantly more than the knifes value for charity, its easy for Bryan, and lets a good number of people try his work and someone obtain it permanently for no more than retail. I for one would happily pay $15-30 + shippings costs to get too try his work.

Sounds good to me. I would nominate @ethompson to do this if Bryan’s on board.

@bryan03, obviously the PA should work however you want it to work, but I think a raffle as mentioned above makes more sense than having someone buy the knife at the end. The problem with that approach is that at the end of the PA they’re not buying a new knife, but rather one that has lost like 5mm because everyone sharpened it on the sidewalk. I suppose if it went back to you at the end for a full restoration, buying it at the end could make sense, though.

I definitely want in on this.

I'd have to agree with Ian's comment about about the raffle, unless it's fully restored.

If I don't have a sidewalk near my place, what is the preferred sharpening surface? I guess I could use the basement floor?

The problem with that approach is that at the end of the PA they’re not buying a new knife, but rather one that has lost like 5mm because everyone sharpened it on the sidewalk. I suppose if it went back to you at the end for a full restoration, buying it at the end could make sense, though.
I had forgotten how these usually go. Silly me for thinking people would be judicious in their stone work with a PA knife... Point quite well taken.

Back