Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For breakfast we have an American style bacon and eggs inspired Japanese Ramen, with Cha siu cut by an American made suji inspired by a Japanese suji (Kato)
DSC_4690.jpeg
DSC_4684.jpeg

Last edited:
As I have been tasked with preparing this years christmas lunch I have been practicing my roast pork.
This is my second attempt and it was nice and juicy, but the crackling was a tad chewy, so for the premier I will keep it under the broiler for at bit longer to crisp.
Had it for dinner with a couple spuds and some stewed brussel sprouts.
IMG_0237.jpg
IMG_0240.jpg
IMG_0241.jpg

Leek and potato soup with a handful of chives..
View attachment 65885
You've got a
As I have been tasked with preparing this years christmas lunch I have been practicing my roast pork.
This is my second attempt and it was nice and juicy, but the crackling was a tad chewy, so for the premier I will keep it under the broiler for at bit longer to crisp.
View attachment 65970 View attachment 65971 View attachment 65972

What cut of pork is that?

Yeah its hard to buy loin with skin on in North America, people here seem to be anti-pork skin

View attachment 65970 View attachment 65971 View attachment 65972
Looks good. Looks like Pork belly.
For the crispy skin, have you tried stabbing it with a spiked meat tenderiser lots and lots of times. It helps if you haven’t done so.

another trick i learned from a chef friend of mine is to put a salt crust on the skin and roast with it on for the first hour; remove the salt and finish roasting until the color and degree of crispiness is achieved.

this method yields the most cracklin' skin ever! try it and you'll never look back.

I scored the skin all the way through the fat and saltet the scores and the skin. Then put it in the fridge for 24h. Roasted it in a low oven till it had an internal temp of 63c then left it for 30min and finished under the broiler.
Really, I do think it would have been perfect after another bit under the grill.

Salting ahead of time achieves something different from what i was suggesting. That draws salt into the meat and seasons it--dry brine. What the salt crust does is it draws moisture out of the skin and captures it, thereby making it crispy.

But there are many different roads to Rome, and i'm sure your roast will be perfect either way!

Yeah belly I can get with skin, but loins are much harder to get skin on
definitely, and less fatty. I personally prefer the belly but it pot belly luck for that cut and can vary from too meaty to too fatty.

I know that rubbing salt into the skin makes it crispy but sometimes like you say, it can get chewy if it doesn’t penetrate enough. I do find that a lot of people tend to over do the salt tho and I can understand why. Makes me want to make some Chinese roast pork belly again. Not done it in a long long time.

Jackson! fancy meeting you here. that dish is so vibrant; it looks like it came out of a food magazine. What did you stew the beef in and for how long?

Haha thank you man! I used pressure cooker to tenderize the beef first (20min maybe) then I took them out and cooked with the veggies on low heat (30min ish) so not that long of process.
Regarding seasoning, I like to try new things this time I added some oyster sauce:) turn out pretty good

If you are already from Sweden do you just call them meatballs? Now I crave Ikea meatballs that are no longer cheap

One of the eternal questions. I once ordered a salad at a touristy place in Greece. The waiter looked at me, depressed, asking me to clarify: - Greek salad?
I think that counts as an answer.
Btw I happen to know the guy who made the recipe for the Ikea meatball. He’s great!

I've wondered in the past why people get so excited about Ikea meat balls. Not that I think they are bad, but they aren't that good either. Way too bland, for my taste. To me, they are nothing special.

I've wondered in the past why people get so excited about Ikea meat balls. Not that I think they are bad, but they aren't that good either. Way too bland, for my taste. To me, they are nothing special.
The thrill ... Is that I dont have to cook it [emoji13] and an excuse to buy more knife racks at ikea and thus more knives

Latest posts

Back