Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I second this! Would love to try recipes by other forum members as well as share some Turkish ones.

Do you guys follow recipes when you cook? I just kinda look through my fridge and see what pops into my brain that momment ....

Depends on what I am making. Some recipes are just in my brain, taught by my mom or by watching her cook when I was a kid. But some stuff, like gyozas, fresh pasta, Asian food I cook--I do follow recipes and edit them to my liking.

Roast beef with sauce "Holandes" with kampotski long

Attachments

• DSC00857.jpg
    DSC00857.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC00859.jpg
    DSC00859.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Is there a recipe share forum on here?
So many good dishes need to be memorialized
We can do that, I don’t mind sharing my recipe, maybe others too

in the mean time, extra crispy roasted pork loin for today.
(Imagine the sound it made when you cut through the crackling) ;)

Attachments

• CBCE71DB-3765-4330-87A8-A6CC2EEF4F7A.jpeg
    CBCE71DB-3765-4330-87A8-A6CC2EEF4F7A.jpeg
    167.4 KB · Views: 55
Any herbs or spices used. I am going to make this tonight. Thanks for posting

ginger, green onions the white parts, and garlic.

ground pork goes into the wok. until cooked.

dump in can of corn..i added frozen roasted corn leftovers i had.

added white pepper, salt and some soy sauce. then the rest of the green parts of the green onion.

Do you guys follow recipes when you cook? I just kinda look through my fridge and see what pops into my brain that momment ....
It depends. I have probably 150+ recipes in my head that I can make at the drop of a hat. Then there are things I haven't made in ten years or so, and I go on the web and refresh my memory. Then there are things I've never ever done before, so I go and do a bit of research on the web. (I'm about to descend down the sourdough rabbit hole…)

But, really, a lot of the time, I go to a market and just browse. And often see things that I don't know (and can't read the label of, because it's in Chinese or some other Asian script). Then I buy the thingamajig anyway, just to find out what it is, and research it and figure out what to do with it. (I've had big surprises that way, both positive and negative. Bitter melon was a really positive one; I bought it on impulse just to find out what can be done with it, and I really liked it.)

And, quite often, a recipe just sort of takes shape in my head as I see various foods that look nice at a market, and then think "this would go well with that. So I buy a few things and round out the "recipe" as I go. Usually, that approach works quite well. Lots more hits than misses that way, at any rate…

I actually like recipes. I think it's nice for inspiration and trying something different than my usual staples.
Tonight I made stuffed aubergines only because I stumbled on a recipe while surfing the BBC.
Being kinda stuck in the "meat+veg"-school of thought it's nice to get out of my comfort zone a little..
..And it tasted great!
IMG_0337.jpg

Testing Recipe Format

Katsu-Don and Miso soup combo, est time 1hr, knife highlight: Tanaka Ginsan Nakiri

Ingredients:

Pork Rib Chops x 4
Eggs x 6
Onion x 1
Green onion x2
Shitake (fresh) x 6
Shimeji Mushrooms x 1 bunch
Diakon x 1/3
Rice 2.5 cups
Miso, soy sauce, sake (rice wine), mirin, sugar
Panko and flour
Katsuobushi and Kombu for Dashi

Prep:
Cook rice.
Beats eggs, seperate two cups for the pork. Veg cut into bite sizes. Pork chops (salt and pepper) in flour-egg-panko. Make Dashi with Kombu and Katsuobushi. Save some Dashi combine with sake, soy sauce, mirin, sugar to make sauce for KatsuDon.

Instructions;
1)Add diakon and shimeji to dashi
2)in a pan with cold oil, add in pankoed chops, then turn to med high after chops go in.
3)cream in miso once the diakon is translucent (aprox 5-7mins)
4)porkchops can be fliped once it has reached desired colour, once the other size has browned take out and drain, save a few spoonful of the oil
5)heat another pan, add saved oil, add onion, green onions, shitake, fry until soft. Add base sauce prepared earlier.
6)rice in bowl, cut chops, add egg into sauce, heat off and use risidual heat to cook egg. Top egg/sauce onto half of chop, on rice add more green on top and in miso soup. Soup reasy. And Serve.

Video Guide:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B7OXUhknjFS/?igshid=155qj0sb9ei74

So easy a 5 year old can do it

Xenif... nice work on the recipe post!
Loved the featured knife idea...
Now what do we need to do to get an admin to set up a separate forum link?

20200115_205450.jpg

The venison roasts are on the left, the beef roasts to the right. Both are quite tasty.

Thermometer is set to max hold, reading shown is after 2.75 hours in the cheap-O Walmart charcoal fueled water smoker.

I did these roasts sous vide for 36 hours at 137° F, then chilled for about 16 hours, then smoked over lump charcoal with apple wood trimmings from pruning my own trees. The deer being smoked/sous vide cooked had just prior to being harvested eaten some windfall apples off of the very same trees providing the smoking wood- Great circle of life, y'all.

Back