Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed most people's grated cheese isn't fine enough. I grew up in an Italian household, and our cheese was always super-fine. It was almost the consistency of powder. The advantage to grating your cheese so fine is how it literally disappears into the sauce. For a carbonara, this is exactly what you want when you mix your cheese and your eggs together. It makes the sauce velvety smooth, along with the pasta water that's added to temper the mixture.
Yes, that's what I did. The sauce was perfectly smooth. I just grated some extra cheese over the top before service, mainly for the looks of things.

The guy who cut my steak were clearly having a bad day as it was about 50% thicker at one end. It came out rare/med-rare/med from one end to the other 🤷‍♂️
IMG_2264.jpg

The farce is made with a mix of veal (32%), pork shoulder (25%), pork back fat (18%), and ice (25%).

Per kilogram of farce:
  • 18 g salt
  • 2 g phosphate
  • 5 g white pepper
  • 0.5 g mace
  • 0.2 g powdered ginger
  • a little lemon zest
  • some chopped parsley (optional)
Put the the meat and, separately, the back fat through a mincer with a 2-3 mm disk.

Add the meat, salt, phosphate, and half the ice to a food processor and process to a fine consistency.

Now add the fat, spices, and lemon zest and keep processing, gradually adding the remainder of the ice. Keep going until you have a paste that is bound together well and sticks to your fingers when holding a blob of it upside down. Keep checking the temperature; it must not exceed 12 ºC. Right at the end, add the parsley just so it is mixed in, but doesn't get chopped much finer.

Fill into 30-32 hog casings and make 10-12 cm links.

Blanch the sausages in 75 ºC salt water for 20 minutes and eat right away.

To freeze, cool the sausages in ice water after blanching and then freeze in vacuum bags.

I never heard of adding ice to a sausage mixture. Is this to stabilize the fat or something? Sounds really good.

Yes, that's what I did. The sauce was perfectly smooth. I just grated some extra cheese over the top before service, mainly for the looks of things.

It looks very good. I commit sacrilege every time I make my carbonara, I saute' onions in the pork fat and add them to the carbonara. they'd probably burn me at the stake if I lived in Italy! 😂

Honestly, I'm sure people in Italy make their carbonara the way they like it, though if you add cream it's not carbonara. What's the point?

Spatchcocked Guineafowl
That's one mighty good looking guineafowl. I don't know why it's not a lot more popular; it blows chicken out of the water when it comes to taste.
Lately when I buy whole birds I go the next step and debone it entirely (by Peppin's method). It's a little bit more work but there's just something extremely satisfying about basically just having one large slab of whole-bird fillet. Prep it the evening before, drybrine overnight and it's also one of the easiest things on the day you actually eat it.

That's one mighty good looking guineafowl. I don't know why it's not a lot more popular; it blows chicken out of the water when it comes to taste.
Lately when I buy whole birds I go the next step and debone it entirely (by Peppin's method). It's a little bit more work but there's just something extremely satisfying about basically just having one large slab of whole-bird fillet. Prep it the evening before, drybrine overnight and it's also one of the easiest things on the day you actually eat it.
Absolutely! I love that preparation.

I never heard of adding ice to a sausage mixture. Is this to stabilize the fat or something? Sounds really good.
It’s common to add water to sausages. It helps with binding of the proteins. For a fine farce made in a food processor, ice counters the heat that is generated. (If the farce gets much above 12 °C, the emulsion will break.)

It’s common to add water to sausages. It helps with binding of the proteins. For a fine farce made in a food processor, ice counters the heat that is generated. (If the farce gets much above 12 °C, the emulsion will break.)

This whole thing is a farce Michi and you know it!

🥁

:D

I don't know... Indian-ish chicken...?

Opening some thighs. Ittestsu Bunka from Sharp Knife Shop. Maybe not the best tool for this job but it was already in use.
zY2DN8L.jpg

Yogurt, tomato paste, smoked paprika, cumin, turmeric, cinnamon, clove, I mean...

"What did you use for spices?"

"Yes."

Sat for about five hours.
Bq26x81.jpg

Skewered and onto the coals:
oDTyaLk.jpg

A salad would be good...
3SqYIIQ.jpg

Served up with a lemony-garlicy-tahini sauce on the chicken and aged white balsamic and olive oil on the salad.
gNAy1US.jpg

Monkfish with a 45 minute shio koji marinade and then poached in a red pepper/sherry puree. @Ochazuke it worked beautifully with the monkfish as well, I never noticed the “off flavors” until I eliminated them!

First course was fried eggplant, Provençal baby artichokes and roasted cauliflower. Enjoyable meal.
77B6ADCE-AE7B-449E-BDB0-C64F33612BED.jpeg

I have smoked pork butt still left over from when I smoked last so I decided to make Pork Stir Fried Rice for lunch today. I don't know how well I did but it does taste good. I like the smoked pork in it.

IMG_0305.jpg

Last edited:
On Tuesday I cooked my first supper party since the covid lockdown in March 2020.

One of the dishes was Korean Style Bavette Steak.

Bavette steak marinated overnight in apple, onion, garlic, scallion, sesame oil, shoyu, sake, sugar, gochugaru, black pepper.

270 Yoshikazu Tanaka suji; 225 Raquin gyuto.

Bavette (flank steak) is one of my fave cuts.

1192068D-34EA-4D7E-AF47-D58154CBDFFB.jpeg

EE78EF51-3B7B-4BBA-AF48-1EBC1CDAD726.jpeg

7260C76C-240A-434E-B6F1-E153976F714A.jpeg

3F83C08D-0BB3-49FC-A25D-5E57A96E483F.jpeg

5D04B053-8B22-4E6C-8982-94D7E194241D.jpeg

On Tuesday I cooked my first supper party since the covid lockdown in March 2020.

One of the dishes was Korean Style Bavette Steak.

Bavette steak marinated overnight in apple, onion, garlic, scallion, sesame oil, shoyu, sake, sugar, gochugaru, black pepper.

270 Yoshikazu Tanaka suji; 225 Raquin gyuto.

Bavette (flank steak) is one of my fave cuts.

View attachment 131655
View attachment 131656
View attachment 131657
View attachment 131658
View attachment 131659
Welcome back to hosting! Looks great. NYC is really opening up, huh?

By the way my daughter just signed a contract for an apartment in, wait for it…

Ditmas Park!

we’re super excited

Welcome back to hosting! Looks great. NYC is really opening up, huh?

By the way my daughter just signed a contract for an apartment in, wait for it…

Ditmas Park!

we’re super excited

Awesome! Ditmas Park is a nice area. In NYC, everything is connected well by subway.

TBH, felt weird cooking for more than two, loved putting out multiple dishes on the table. Have a renewed appreciation for supper parties, will be doing them more often!

Gyeran Mari (Korean rolled omelette). For my riff on Gyeran Mari—egg, scallion, gim (nori), mirin, shoyu, seasonings—artisan shoyu for dipping. This Gyeran Mari made in a $15 pan from Koreatown—don’t need a pricey, fancy pan for it, proper technique more important than equipment to make a good Gyeran Mari or Tamagoyaki—cast iron skillet, round T-Fal, cheap square omelette pan, it’s all good. Awesome brekkie yesterday. Knives: 270 Yoshikazu Tanaka suji; 225 Raquin gyuto.
Interestingly, I’m picky about the knives I use, but not so much with cookware—can pretty much cook with anything.

E2172833-A262-4DC0-B6F7-20F7DCDED1A1.jpeg

BDA7BF94-1481-4B0C-A4A3-23C0961D9C4E.jpeg

8DA5EA8F-BDB8-4782-8B15-E165D9708E0B.jpeg

F431D670-29E7-4DE5-8A83-16F3BDCF5995.jpeg

50F9AF41-D85E-41CD-A03D-67BC3BE1C1F1.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back