Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm in Denmark. I can buy chipotle in adobo and canned tomatillos at my local ethnic grocer. The dried chilies I bought online. Fresh stuff like epazote and poblano is out of reach.
Cool! You’re sorted for the basics. Luckily there’re a lot of Mexican grocery stores in Brooklyn where I live that carry most things. Bayless is a good info source, I’ve a few of his books among others on the subject.

Instant ramen lunch.
Shoyu Ramen with 7-Minute Ajitsuke Tamago, Skillet Portuguese Linguiça, Backyard Scallion, Hawaiian Chili Pepper.
3C11ABA4-F315-4BEC-BEB2-CB6480D3F764.jpg

38D4C2CD-FFCE-4AE2-9085-18B9E7F56664.jpg

8825A3A2-81D9-4DF3-8B5B-A2E88D9DE68B.jpg

33791607-44EC-48FF-9A0A-4D4AFC852AED.jpg

It's dead simple! I don't have a written recipe, but I'm more than happy to have a go at writing one. I would be stoked if you gave it a try..!

Leek and potato soup

1 small onion, sliced
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, sliced and rinsed
Potatoes, about the same amount by weight as leek, peeled and thinly sliced
Butter
Chicken stock
White wine
Bouquet garni of bay leaf and thyme
Salt and pepper

Put the sliced potato in a bowl of cold water for 5-10 minutes to get rid of some of the starch. Rinse and dry.
Heat the butter over medium heat and add the onion, leak and potato. Sweat until the leeks collapse. Season with a little salt and pepper.
Add a splash of white wine and enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables. Add the bouquet garni and bring to a boil.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes. Pour of and save some of the liquid and remove the bouquet garni.
Puree in a blender or with a stick and use the reserved liquid to adjust the consistency. Season with more salt and pepper.

I like to garnish with creme fraiche and chives, but do whatever floats you boat..!

I am going to cook this when I find a leek. We have lots of onions but leeks are harder to find. This looks delicious.

It's been many many years since I made this but there were three way overripe bananas to deal with, banana bread. The irony is I don't eat raw bananas as I have a slight intolerance, something just south of a full blown allergy. But I do love me some nana bread. Something about cooking them alters the protein that causes my mild but annoying issues.
20211005_125109.jpg

Are you in Copenhagen, Lars? When I lived in Scandinavia in the 90s, whenever I visited Copenhagen I tried to make time to go to a small blues bar called "Mojo," wonderful place. I wonder if it is still there.
No, I'm from the mainland. Mojo is still around. I agree, it's a great place.

No, I'm from the mainland. Mojo is still around. I agree, it's a great place.
That's good to hear. I'm overdue for a visit to both Copenhagen and my old home, Stockholm.
Funny, I was always talking up Mojo to my then-girlfriend/now-wife, but the couple times we went to Copenhagen, wouldn't you know it, Mojo had some weird programming going on, like a Beatles cover band, or some-such. Not that I have anything against Beatles cover bands, it is just not what I was always going on about describing the great gritty blues bands that we came to know the place for.

That's good to hear. I'm overdue for a visit to both Copenhagen and my old home, Stockholm.
Funny, I was always talking up Mojo to my then-girlfriend/now-wife, but the couple times we went to Copenhagen, wouldn't you know it, Mojo had some weird programming going on, like a Beatles cover band, or some-such. Not that I have anything against Beatles cover bands, it is just not what I was always going on about describing the great gritty blues bands that we came to know the place for.
That sounds familiar. Denmark is a small place, so there is only a limited amount of talent around. Some filler is unavoidable.

Simple Spaghetti Bolognese Supper.
Beef mince, Portuguese linguiça, backyard herbs, Australian red wine, Vietnamese fish sauce, Hawaiian chili pepper water, local sweet onion, were some of the ingredients shaping this Bolognese.
240 OUL, gyuto, ginsan
811718F4-A956-410F-BF06-E935FD7CE543.jpeg

35A4DA09-C56D-4EF2-8D06-2C991E991756.jpeg

506AF3B3-DDCA-44CF-8914-6FE327E2AF7D.jpeg

62CDEB8A-D825-43C1-A89B-250334E7F7F5.jpeg

CECEEC68-64D7-4AD5-91B3-C98559E70F3C.jpeg

If I eat Asian, I eat PHO or Vietnamese Vermicelli noodles. They make good ones in Austin.

Back