Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Birthday dinner for my mom:
Deep fried tofu / Yunnan grandmothers potatoes / Smashed cucumbers / Yuxiang eggplant / Steamed rice

dinner2.jpg
dinner1.jpg

i usually make it a three day endeavour, which then takes a small amount of work every day leading up to serving it. it might also benefit from being eaten the day after final cooking.

It can definitely take a good chunk of time, but theres also shortcuts that you can take. I made everything from scratch here but you could easily not make the noodles and skip the bechamel for a cottage cheese or ricotta layer. Both of those would cut down the time needed, and the ragu was fairly hands off as soon as you finish mirepoix.

Edit: I was supposed to be replying to ptolemy here, ah well.

It can definitely take a good chunk of time, but theres also shortcuts that you can take. I made everything from scratch here but you could easily not make the noodles and skip the bechamel for a cottage cheese or ricotta layer. Both of those would cut down the time needed, and the ragu was fairly hands off as soon as you finish mirepoix.

Edit: I was supposed to be replying to ptolemy here, ah well.

ya, but yours, I bet, was just that much better.. almost makes me wonder if it's something worth making twice a gear, and freezing... like 3-4 trays and then enjoying throughout the year...

i am def envy with that :D

Today I felt like childhood memories and so I thought I'd make a simple pea stew in this nasty weather 🤤 nice with the homemade chicken broth, Mettenden, bacon, bockwurst, marjoram, savory and at the end again Maggie herb and frozen frozen peas. Garnished with fresh parsley💪I think that was the best pea stew I've ever eaten👌
C770E49C-97B9-4F63-A799-D8515B6F1D10.jpeg
B773B83F-3DA4-49BB-A77E-4F6F59E479CB.jpeg
4D480665-5FD5-44E0-87B9-D1835D595F3B.jpeg
56EE7831-CB81-409F-9915-C21CA6EE173D.jpeg
A8CA9B60-6AFE-4674-BECB-23BE1D62E32B.jpeg

A nice, juicy ribeye steak, French onion soup and some fresh bread. A couple of notes... the soup was leftover frozen from when I made a batch in Feb. Tasted even better than before. And I mistakenly added too much water when mixing my dough. Added some more flour but I had no idea what my hydration ratio was (usually it's 75%). Happily the bread came out great with the most open crumb I've gotten.

IMG_7502.jpg
IMG_7501.jpg

Today‘s lunch:

Breaded catfish with wild garlic, potatoes, Dijonnaise and mustard-honey-dill sauce.

IMHO, catfish is totally underrated and a delicious, juicy, sweet water fish which can help reducing CO2 emissions by avoiding transport of sea fish to locations far away from sea coasts.

43356109gu.jpeg

Love catfish. Wild or farm raised it's good stuff. Just made fried catfish sandwiches the other night.

sure;

Boil pork belly for about 20 min, I sneak in some flavorings in the water (star anise, sicuan pepper, ginger, etc)
leave to cool , then put in the fridge
Cut in thin strips.
Stir fry to crispy golden brown

for the sauce lookup a recipe or follow this one;
https://redhousespice.com/twice-cooked-pork-fast-version/
My goto recipe is that of Fuchsia Dunlop's 'every grain fo rice'
Best enjoyed with rice as the Pixian Douban is quite salty, and spicy, so you need some dilution!

Back