Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So here it is, our dinner with flower sprouts: Pasta, butternut-flower sprout sauce...
20221112_173726.jpg
20221112_180440.jpg
20221112_181833.jpg
20221112_182944.jpg
20221112_185608.jpg

I don’t know flower sprouts. They look really good. But what is that bag mixed in with your ingredients? Looks like it says muskrat nuts🙀🙄🙃
Indeed, the bag says "muskat nuss". Nutmeg.
But of course i used it only to season the sauce and not as a whole.
The sauce basically consists of a red onion, two cloves of garlic and 50g of sundried tomato. Then you add some whitewine, 400g cream and reduce a bit. Season it with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the sprouts and 60g of Parmesan or Grana Padano and keep warm. That's it...

Those sprouts need color to them! Wash, stem, halve, heat butter or bacon fat in cast iron until shimmering. Add sprouts. Open windows, force ventilation, char the **** out of them and continue to do so until they are heavily charred on all sides, and easily pierced by a knife.

Toss with a dash of fish sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, a touch of brown sugar and a healthy amount of lemon juice.

It’ll change your mind pretty damn quick. Can probably be improved with a handful of candied pecans and cranberries for textures if you want to get fancy
This recipe is a game changer! I have never been a fan of Brussel sprouts. I tried them again today with your recipe - and wow, now I seriously do love Brussel sprouts. I admit, I added a little bacon and some chopped radicchio as well as some Balsamic vinegar, and I used yuzu juice instead of lemon, but boy, was this good!!

@Naftoor, you made my gf a very happy woman today as she has always loved Brussel sprouts but I never really liked cooking them…

44692285kd.jpeg

@KDSDeluxe , nice that you are the first to like my post. I wanted to mention you specifically, as like me, you never liked Brussel sprouts. Give them another chance, the dish tasted unbelievably good!

44692374lq.jpeg

44692375za.jpeg

Last edited:
Those look great! Do you have a recipe to share?
Thanks!! It's a lot of work...

I made basic croissant dough but used about half the butter for the butter slab and skipped the last fold (without these tweaks, they would puff up way too much). Then I rolled it out to about 3/4 inch, cut out the shapes and let rise again before frying.

The pastry cream is just normal pastry cream, found online everywhere. The lemon glaze is powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lime zest.

This was my first time making them. If I did it again, I'd sprinkle a little sugar on the butter slab to add some sweetness to the dough. There probably won't be a next time, though. I like normal yeasted donuts more. But it was fun and my daughter had a good time helping out and was thrilled with the unicorn.

Thanks!! It's a lot of work...

I made basic croissant dough but used about half the butter for the butter slab and skipped the last fold (without these tweaks, they would puff up way too much). Then I rolled it out to about 3/4 inch, cut out the shapes and let rise again before frying.

The pastry cream is just normal pastry cream, found online everywhere. The lemon glaze is powdered sugar, lemon juice, and lime zest.

This was my first time making them. If I did it again, I'd sprinkle a little sugar on the butter slab to add some sweetness to the dough. There probably won't be a next time, though. I like normal yeasted donuts more. But it was fun and my daughter had a good time helping out and was thrilled with the unicorn.
I’ve made croissants before, but I’m interested to give these a try. Thanks!

It is the right time of year for tamales here in Texas. I think around Thanksgiving and Christmas are the biggest times.

Football Sunday Guacamole. I've been riding bicycle up mountain near our house. Through rainforest. Noticed split avocados on road surface. Got off my bike found the tree avo's 30-40 feet in the air old tree never pruned. A lot of rotten in the tall grass edge side of road. Found a good one. After rode up with small backpack with plastic bag. Finding good ones every time go up. One day found 4. These are large buttery avo. couple# each. Two makes big bowl.

Simple fine chop sweet onion garlic. Little fresh chili pepper, chop cilantro leaves & stems. sweet cherry tomato. Fresh keffer lime juice, salt.
IMG_20221113_113405133.jpg
IMG_20221113_113845905.jpg
IMG_20221113_121416787_HDR.jpg

American Munster is a totally different cheese than German Munster. American Munster is very, VERY mild. A good neutral melting cheese.
aha, and I was thinking 'now that is a bold move' ...BTW ; I was referring to the French Munster from the Alsace region (which was German at several points in time in history)

Back