Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicken and spinach enchiladas with tomatillo sauce.
IMG_9865.JPG

Have I ever mentioned that some days I REALLY appreciate working from home? But not when I step on the bathroom scale...
View attachment 206273
skillet browned yellow potatoes, caramelized onion, orange bell pepper, Reggiano, eggs over easy, Cholula, tomatoes, and micro greens
That looks healthy though! (And delicious)

Tried it again and I still don't like brussels sprouts🤣View attachment 207603

Those sprouts need color to them! Wash, stem, halve, heat butter or bacon fat in cast iron until shimmering. Add sprouts. Open windows, force ventilation, char the **** out of them and continue to do so until they are heavily charred on all sides, and easily pierced by a knife.

Toss with a dash of fish sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, a touch of brown sugar and a healthy amount of lemon juice.

It’ll change your mind pretty damn quick. Can probably be improved with a handful of candied pecans and cranberries for textures if you want to get fancy

Those sprouts need color to them! Wash, stem, halve, heat butter or bacon fat in cast iron until shimmering. Add sprouts. Open windows, force ventilation, char the **** out of them and continue to do so until they are heavily charred on all sides, and easily pierced by a knife.

Toss with a dash of fish sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, a touch of brown sugar and a healthy amount of lemon juice.

It’ll change your mind pretty damn quick. Can probably be improved with a handful of candied pecans and cranberries for textures if you want to get fancy
I’ll try that, not a huge fan of Brussel sprouts but my gf loves them!

My favorite recipe combines the Brussel sprouts with chestnuts. Either pasta with Brussel sprouts, chestnuts, shiitake and cranberries (for a little variation I found a similar recipe: Vegan Pasta with Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts and Shiitake Mushrooms - The Foodie Corner), or Brussel sprouts with chestnuts, bacon and Marsala (the latter is a recipe by Nigella Lawson).

Last edited:
My go-to when I could still eat them was to steam them for a few minutes, fry up some bacon (or even better, coppa or guanciale) and finish the sprouts in the bacon fat with some rosemary. Then on the plate you top it off with some parmiggiano...

I boiled them in salted water, blanched. Then fried, caramelized with sugar and deglazed with lemon juice and then seasoned.

So I could eat them too.

But, as a child, I was forced to eat them. If I didn't want to eat them, I was grounded for a week.

Sorry, I'll never like them 🤣 🤣 🤣

Don't forget, Brussel sprouts are excellent (and totally different) raw. Great alone or tossed into salads.

My favorite way to them cooked is oven roasted at high temp for color and then tossed with olive oil and Balsamic vinegar. Maybe a light sprinkling of cheese.

IMHO Brussels sprouts stay where they belong, in Brussels...

Today I upgraded old fashioned Endive mash with mature cheese, some garlic, some chili, spring onion, and a sauce made with red onion, sambal, beef fond. Chicken breast marinated in a teriyaki/miso glaze.View attachment 207701

Sounds insanely flavorful. How does the cheese play with the teriyaki/miso/beef chili profile?

Sounds insanely flavorful. How does the cheese play with the teriyaki/miso/beef chili profile?
I was a bit hesitant too, but had to try and it worked out beautifully...probably because the cheese melts into local little globs of Umami in a dish normally too bland for my taste.

>complains about brussels sprouts
>proceeds to make stampot, a highlight of Dutch cuisine consisting of mixed pre-chewed potatos & vegetables with no remaining discernable texture or structure...
;)
Correct, Brussels sprouts are the Cucina Povere of the lowlands IMHO, the major issue is that no cooking skill can make them into something I consider palatable. Bittery bland little armpit growths that at best taste of green and rot in your gut.

Correct, Brussels sprouts are the Cucina Povere of the lowlands IMHO, the major issue is that no cooking skill can make them into something I consider palatable. Bittery bland little armpit growths that at best taste of green and rot in your gut.
Have you tried giving them the same love and attention you gave that war-ration emergency food called stamppot?

You know, you could simply have said “I don’t like Brussel sprouts” :)

To be fair, I don't know how old Marcel is, but if he last tried them a few decades ago he might be somewhat justified. Apparently their flavor profile has changed significantly over time. It's one of the few vegetables that got better over time instead of worse.

I'm 57, and indeed since my childhood when my grandma cooked them to bittery snot (start cooking at 16:00 to be ready to eat at 17:30) they have changed, these days they are only mildy bitter but no amount of genetic tinkering was able to instill any other flavor in them or get rid of the cabbagy gassy profile.

I try them every year, once, and it takes about a year to get me ready for a next tasting...many different ways, drwoned in Satay sauce, you name it...

Latest posts

Back