Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pasta with broccoli, anchovies, garlic, chili and parmigiano cheese.
IMG_0821.JPG

First fight night of the year and the wife and I are snacking.

Had couple pieces of homemade bread drying out and a green apple that needed to get used...

2l5J7lrl.jpg

DYmcwL6l.jpg

Pan seared the bread on one side then added extra sharp cheddar, slice of apple and jalapeno dusted with dried sage, salt and grated parm. Put them under the broiler and then finished with a couple drops of Balsamic.

Not pretty but it sure was tasty! :)

Put a nice handle on my fancy Damascus blade. Handle from Sugi Cutlery. Nice figured curly Rosewood copper spacer. Sharpened it
& made pasta sauce. Cento tomatoes & sauce. Browned chicken sausage in pan removed set aside to add to sauce last. Cooked onions & garlic in oil & chicken fat.

Fresh basil from garden. What looks like an orange is a large Hawaii lime from friends tree very juicy. One half is enough squeeze through strainer half lime squeezed pulp add to sauce to add to citrus flavor. Parm cheese, zucchini, mushrooms, red wine. Whole wheat pasta noodles.
IMG_20230115_204606519.jpg
IMG_20230121_140433690.jpg

IMG_20230121_141827463.jpg

IMG_20230121_142605404.jpg

IMG_20230121_150153891.jpg

Last edited:
In our house a steak dinner always means delicious steak sandwiches for lunch the next day or so.

Knives used 240 Mazaki and 220 Cauble (@DanielC) Apex Ultra Wrought Iron.

Toasted Sourdough, thin prime serloin medallions, goat cheese slice, horserashi Aoli w/ Meyer lemon juice, yellow onion, tomatoes, perpperoncini, arugula,

Damn how I love cold steak or lamb sandwiches! 🤤

20230122_110036.jpg

20230122_111423.jpg

20230122_111916.jpg

Last edited:
Put a nice handle on my fancy Damascus blade. Handle from Sugi Cutlery. Nice figured curly Rosewood copper spacer. Sharpened it
& made pasta sauce. Cento tomatoes & sauce. Browned chicken sausage in pan removed set aside to add to sauce last. Cooked onions & garlic in oil & chicken fat.

Fresh basil from garden. What looks like an orange is a large Hawaii lime from friends tree very juicy. One half is enough squeeze through strainer half lime squeezed pulp add to sauce to add to citrus flavor. Parm cheese, zucchini, mushrooms, red wine. Whole wheat pasta noodles.
View attachment 220958View attachment 220955
View attachment 220954
View attachment 220957
View attachment 220956
Nice blade and handle. What maker is it, please?

Nice blade and handle. What maker is it, please?
Blade is Hatsukokuro silver#3 steel, Damascus. Blacksmith Yoshihiro Yauji.

Had a dark brown handle on it. Bought replacement handle from Suji Cutlery. Noticed they had some simple handles. Several had the copper spacer. Horn with exotic woods at a reasonable price problem was all ones I liked were sold out.

Found this one better in person than the pictures Black Horn ferrel, copper spacer, very nice curly Siamese Rosewood. 100.00.
Got exact handle as picture on site.

Short rib tangia

Cram 6 lbs of short ribs into a clay pot after you dose them up with Moroccan spices and preserved lemon. No liquid, a little butter. Cover with both a parchment cartouche and a lid. Five hours in a really low oven. 250f. They’re amazing

Here’s a link to another variation I made

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/veal-tangia-with-preserved-lemons.50147/View attachment 221189

Your recent recipes with clay pots really have me thinking about picking one up. The pot is just as beautiful as the food 😍

Just out of curiosity, but does the clay pot provide a different result than for example prepping the same recipe in something like a cast iron enamelled Dutch oven?

Just out of curiosity, but does the clay pot provide a different result than for example prepping the same recipe in something like a cast iron enamelled Dutch oven?
Absolutely. I make a lot of beans, the beans are just better. Also, by its nature the clay pot slows you down, gives the flavors a chance to develop. When a bolognese recipe says slowly let the flavors meld, clay loves that. I’ve read random people talking about clay pots being an alkaline cooking environment, maybe that’s true but the results convince me more than the theories.

This book is my go to. The author was just a brilliant cook with tremendous curiosity. She wrote a bunch of articles as well, give you an idea of her thinking. I own it in both print and kindle, give you an idea of how good it is!

https://www.amazon.com/Mediterranean-Clay-Pot-Cooking-Traditional/dp/076457633X
The pot I use the most is a la Chamba 4 qt unglazed clay soup pot. It’s about the most expensive one I own, probably paid 60 bucks for it. It went up I see. I use it for beans, soups, this tangia recipe and I think it’s the best pot to make bolognese in. Just don’t put a hot pot down on a cold stone surface, you’ll probably be fine. Don’t wash with soap either, I use baking soda if I need it

https://www.ancientcookware.com/la-...soup-pot-medium-detail?tmpl=component&print=1

Last edited:
Got a craving for Popeyes sweet heat sauce. Dredged up a copycat, doctored it a touch and am quite happy with the results. Used a Korean fried chicken recipe, with southern spices to dry brine, and tweaked the wet batter. I hate frying, yeah it feels unhealthy but it also just feels wasteful to get rid of that much oil after only a handful of uses.

That being said. This chicken and sauce may convince me to do it more often. Probably the best I’ve had, and I tend to order fried chicken anytime it’s on a menu. Juicy chicken breast, thoroughly salted thanks to the brine. Sauce is sticky, sweet and hot. Crust is heavily seasoned, sticks quite well to the meat and is absolutely absurdly crunchy.

Attachments

• 870605E1-BDA9-4E3E-9D4E-C0F3C7B633F3.jpeg
    870605E1-BDA9-4E3E-9D4E-C0F3C7B633F3.jpeg
    700.9 KB · Views: 0
  • D5C3D711-9DD4-44F6-91F5-59EFB9852738.jpeg
    D5C3D711-9DD4-44F6-91F5-59EFB9852738.jpeg
    185.6 KB · Views: 0
Back