Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tonight's dinner and this weeks treat:

Tom Kha Gai, prepared with an incredible Daniel Cauble go mai Apex Ultra HMS Bounty Wrought:

20230612_182548.jpg

20230612_182615.jpg

20230612_194525.jpg

Anybody remember Sandra Lee's show "Semi Homemade"? I always thought that was a cool show and concept. In that spirit, here was our desert...

Vanilla gelato (bought) topped with a berry compote made with Fireball whiskey, mint, lemon, honey, and warm spices then finished with crumbled Graham crackers and lemon zest.

Desert.jpg

Last edited:
I made Syrian Shish Tawouk chicken kebabs again. Really yummy and the work/reward ratio is great. Just marinate some chicken pieces for a few hours, make skewers and grill. The recipe is from Middle Eats on youtube if you would like to have a go.
IMG_3451.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

It's good. I highly recommend trying the ouzi rice recipe. It rocks!

Can't say I've ever exactly followed their recipes but that is true of all the channels (and cookbooks) I follow. But I can absolutely say I've gotten a LOT of inspiration from them. My cooking-demo channel subscriptions ebb and flow but I generally have five or six core ones and their's is definitely one of them.

Refika's Kitchen is another.

best so far, regular recipe (Fuchsia Dunlop) but I coated the marianted chicken thigh in corn flour and allowed that to dry up for an hour or two before frying in the wok.

Silky sauce in combination with elegantly crispness.
I did not like the utter crispness of the J Lopez recipe, it reminded me of eating baked Muesli.

Will try again with a second batter around this version, egg it and coat another time in corn starch to see if I can up the crispness slightly.

Pizza week 4
Half step forward.

Forkish Saturday recipe, same as week 2, but using 00 flour. Dough was a bit too sticky. Wanted to stick to hands and the peel. Ended up having to use parchment under the pizza to even shoot it into the oven. The paper burnt, but was able to salvage it unlike last week.

Flavour was good and everyone like the result. There was a small hole in one pizza which the peel caught on one turn, so it had to come out a touch early.

20230614_175935.jpg

20230614_180832.jpg

reporting back n the second batch of Gen Tso chicken, now double coated in corn starch (corn starch egg white cor starch), second coating is not worth the hassle. I'll stick to the single coat of corn starch after marinating.

that looks splendid, can you share what it does to the flavor of that pork butt?
Very simple. 1 pound of pork butt slathered with 2 tbsp shio-koji, left to marinate in the refrigerator for 30-hours; sprinkled with a little kosher salt then baked at 225f, pulled at about 170f; rested loosely covered for 15 minutes, rolled in a sheet of nori, sliced.

Very simple. 1 pound of pork butt slathered with 2 tbsp shio-koji, left to marinate in the refrigerator for 30-hours; sprinkled with a little kosher salt then baked at 225f, pulled at about 170f; rested loosely covered for 15 minutes, rolled in a sheet of nori, sliced.
thanks, yet how does that treatment affect flavor? (as a koji novice I'm seriously wondering what it does)

Back