Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks, yet how does that treatment affect flavor? (as a koji novice I'm seriously wondering what it does)
I'm a koji novice too, a friend made a batch and gave me a jar of the stuff. The cooked pork—after a long marinate—tasted almost ham-like, very savory/umami, a bit of charcuterie-like funkiness. Gonna try it with salmon soon.
9270BC29-CD42-4AFA-AFAC-B0DBD0C2E951.jpg

94F846AF-882F-41A6-AFC6-E0E6495E1CB0.jpg

4D8C9C69-B121-4C93-9E3E-9A41BD771F75.jpg

Chicken carcasses are readily available at butcher shops here.

Interesting, I had actually never heard of this before.
Makes total sense from both perspectives, less waste, and not having to eat an entire chicken to make stock.

@Lars Given what a 'regular' oven will do that is looking great already!

Oven temperature is a rabbit hole, my advice is; buy once, cry once...be it electric or gas, that temperature is addictive!

Haven't posted as often as I used to for nearly a year, as I've been in the process of buying and renovating a house. I finally finished it after 11 months of renovation and moved in this week.

Cooked carbonara and opened a bottle of barolo to celebrate my first real meal in my new home.

20230618_183159.jpg

First time cooking a Wagyu steak. I expected a thicker piece so I was a bit worried to overcook it. Fortunately it turned out great.

My wife said it was the best steak she ever had. Hurray. And I agree

@dehory , thanks for the press recommendation!

No pictures of the result as I wanted to eat it warm ;)

Btw, grillgrates rock!

First time cooking a Wagyu steak. I expected a thicker piece so I was a bit worried to overcook it. Fortunately it turned out great.

My wife said it was the best steak she ever had. Hurray. And I agree

@dehory , thanks for the press recommendation!

No pictures of the result as I wanted to eat it warm ;)

Btw, grillgrates rock!
Nice, I'll never forget the first time I made wagyu a few years ago. Where did you get those presses/weights? I've been looking for them in Denmark but I've been unable so far to find some.

Nice, I'll never forget the first time I made wagyu a few years ago. Where did you get those presses/weights? I've been looking for them in Denmark but I've been unable so far to find some.
I got them here
https://grillopmaat.nl/Webshop/#!/Chefs-Press-13-Oz/p/518087724(Happy to ship some if it makes sense btw)

Cheaper for me than importing. I really like the design. No condensation (as opposed to the water filled pan I was using before) and stackable.

I got them here
https://grillopmaat.nl/Webshop/#!/Chefs-Press-13-Oz/p/518087724(Happy to ship some if it makes sense btw)

Cheaper for me than importing. I really like the design. No condensation (as opposed to the water filled pan I was using before) and stackable.
They have them here and offer EU shipping so I think I'll go with them: Chef's Press 13oz (0.37kg)

There are three sizes, I was thinking to order two of the middle size. Do you have any recommendations based on your experience?

They have them here and offer EU shipping so I think I'll go with them: Chef's Press 13oz (0.37kg)

There are three sizes, I was thinking to order two of the middle size. Do you have any recommendations based on your experience?
I'd open a topic to ask for experiences as more people have them and I only have 2 13 ounce pieces.

For me, this 2 piece is perfect. They are heavy enough and fit in my pan

I first ordered only one (as shipping was free) and then decided to get another 13 ounce.

Last edited:

They recommended two 8oz and one 13oz as starter set.
IMG_1392.png

I have two 8oz which work for me as I prefer less weight and they stack if I want it heavy

Back