Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Veal fricassee.
IMG_5249.JPG

I watched a few videos but mostly followed this one, with some substitutes and omissions based on what I had on hand or could get in the suburban midwest:

My paste was shallot, ginger, garlic, lemongrass, fresh hot chilis, chipotles in adobo (sub for dry chilis, which I ran out of) turmeric powder and coriander powder. Couldn't find fresh turmeric or galangal locally, even at H Mart.

The beef was brisket. Cooked out the paste, added beef, simmered in coconut milk with cinnamon, star anise, cardamom, cloves, lime leaves and lemongrass for about 4 hours. Added kirisik. Seasoned with fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste.

It helps to simmer the beef with the tamarind, helps tenderizing. and IMHO it needs laos and kemiri nuts.

That looks phenomenal! Drool…
thanks! it actually is super yummy. it's like sneaking a desert into the meal before you've earned it: puff pastry, cheese, sugar, butter, all in abundance. it will shorten your life, but it's super tasty.

thanks! it actually is super yummy. it's like sneaking a desert into the meal before you've earned it: puff pastry, cheese, sugar, butter, all in abundance. it will shorten your life, but it's super tasty.
Could you point me at the recipe please?

Could you point me at the recipe please?

i change things around all the time, but this recipe is really good, and structurally very similar to what i do:
https://www.seriouseats.com/french-onion-soup-tarte-tatin
or this one, which is pretty pretty:

now, if you have the time and courage, start instead with caramelising the sugar, then melt the butter, and then add the onions …
use the best onions you can find at the moment. doesn't really matter what kind.
experiment away, but a really good flakey fatty puff pastry is important imho.

i do use a cast iron pan. but a carbon steel works fine as well.

i change things around all the time, but this recipe is really good, and structurally very similar to what i do:
https://www.seriouseats.com/french-onion-soup-tarte-tatin
or this one, which is pretty pretty:

now, if you have the time and courage, start instead with caramelising the sugar, then melt the butter, and then add the onions …
use the best onions you can find at the moment. doesn't really matter what kind.
experiment away, but a really good flakey fatty puff pastry is important imho.

i do use a cast iron pan. but a carbon steel works fine as well.

I've made that recipe a bunch of times and it is excellent!

I catered a buddies wedding with a three day heads up. I sous vide six racks or pork ribs for 18 hours and smoked them for two after that. I did the same thing for a large brisket as well. Here are some photos including a slice of leftover brisket for my post wedding brisket sandwitch.

387525418_1967726460271808_2129413828983312243_n.jpg
368061177_177408142031301_2176359404906337695_n.jpg
371545766_768844145005173_5127788131278861805_n.jpg

Nasi Goreng IS leftover recycling, forget sambal oelek, try something like Sambal Djeroek with lime leaves , compliments nicely with the trassi ;-)

Koningsvogel is reasonable sambal, for the real deal you need to make your own or find an Indonesian granny who makes it (divide amounts by ten since they tend to make it VERY hot).

A perfect dish to get rid of some leftovers and quick enough to do during your lunchbreak... Nasi Goreng...
No Sambal Oelek left8
View attachment 279288
Nasi Goreng IS leftover recycling, forget sambal oelek, try something like Sambal Djeroek with lime leaves , compliments nicely with the trassi ;-)

Koningsvogel is reasonable sambal, for the real deal you need to make your own or find an Indonesian granny who makes it (divide amounts by ten since they tend to make it VERY hot).
Sounds good. Will give it a try.
Or bing some with me next time in Indonesia....

Back