Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Friday, fish day... Salmon fishburger with coleslaw

1000032756.jpg

1000032757.jpg

1000032760.jpg

1000032765.jpg

1000032766.jpg

1000032770.jpg

Ribeye, garlich & herb mp, coleslaw, pan fried tomato & zucchini.

IMG_6349.jpeg

First time use of the Demeyere, very nice crust forming just after 2-3 minutes. Drying the steaks in a fridge on a wire rack overnight or more helps.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Slice slice… need to thin that knife, not as slicey as I’d like (Mutsumi Hinoura Ajikataya 210 mm gyuto). Heat control… need to get used to the pan, nice medium rare but more banding than I would like.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Wouldn’t mind serving this to friends or family. Nice colors.

It looks as if for the first time in my life I am prepared for Christmas Eve dinner.....

The meat is dry brining in the fridge for 30 hours now, porcini risotto croquettes all double breaded, mini veggies sous vide'd, smoked some beetroot which is now pickling, parsnip puree with cream and taragon, bean puree to go with the portobelle 'steak' for the vegatarians.

remains to be done; port reduction sauce, roasting off the meat and slow cooking it (Iberico neck), heating the veg and purees adding a knob of butter and or cream here and there, finishing flavoring and plating up.

Desert will be made by my 7 year old, we bought some nice chocolate icecream, amarene cherries and butter galettes, not sure what his plan is or that he has one, we'll see.
(he had a blast at the chocolatier tasting combinations like miso-yuzu-rice vinegar chocolate)

BTW; what is a good way to prevent something double breaded from going all soggy in storage?
The croquettes are now on some baking paper outside (10'C or so) cooling a bit but they'll need to go in the fridge at some point tonight...do I freeze them or just cool them....in boxed with a lid on or not?

Last edited:
Can't go wrong with amarena + chocolate, it's basically schwarzwalder kirsch but better. I sometimes make amarena brownies that are super easy to make but taste like a million bucks.

For me it'll be a prep day tomorrow and on second day of christmas; due to scheduling issues we're having the in-laws over on the third day of christmas.

First round is actually easy since we divided tasks and courses a lot. So only have to do a few guineafowl roulades, a raspberry sauce, trim and drybrine some venison and make some blackberry port sauce. Doing veggies / salad a la minute.

Second round is a bit more work, but I'm only doing tested recipes, already did all the shopping so it's just a matter of execution now. Already made a really strong garlic oil for spanish style gambas, ran wild duck leg confit the other night. The main prep jobs ahead are doing the venison wellington, making a lemon tart and whipping up a mango panna cotta. That only leaves the salad and veggies for the day itself.

Can't go wrong with amarena + chocolate, it's basically schwarzwalder kirsch but better. I sometimes make amarena brownies that are super easy to make but taste like a million bucks.

For me it'll be a prep day tomorrow and on second day of christmas; due to scheduling issues we're having the in-laws over on the third day of christmas.

First round is actually easy since we divided tasks and courses a lot. So only have to do a few guineafowl roulades, a raspberry sauce, trim and drybrine some venison and make some blackberry port sauce. Doing veggies / salad a la minute.

Second round is a bit more work, but I'm only doing tested recipes, already did all the shopping so it's just a matter of execution now. Already made a really strong garlic oil for spanish style gambas, ran wild duck leg confit the other night. The main prep jobs ahead are doing the venison wellington, making a lemon tart and whipping up a mango panna cotta. That only leaves the salad and veggies for the day itself.
that pans out great, we have nothing planned for third christmas day :)

that pans out great, we have nothing planned for third christmas day :)
Actually I was wondering...since you do port sauce a lot... any pointers? What kind of port do you think works best? I have just about every type here but no clue what really works best. And what else do you add?
I made a blackberry port sauce a few years ago and it came out great, but in true amateur fashion I forgot to write down what I actually did. :D

I tinker a lot, but my basic recipe is something like this;

Sweat half a shallot, some carrot, celery, if I feel like it some triple concentrate Mutti tomato paste, deglaze with armagnac, or calvados or some dry Martini, add port or port and red wine and garden herbs like Bay and thyme. Let it reduce to about 2/3.

I dissolve some concentrate beef fond (courtesy by Knorr and Hanos, no salt or funny stuff in it) in water add that to the previous mix (often also add some chicken fond). Reduce until about 50%, then sieve out the veggies. Further reduce until thick enough to napper a spoon, add pepper and salt, mount with butter or add cream (or both) or use as is.

I usually add spices as per the form of the day, Vadouvan, Fenugreek, fennel seed, coriander seed, smoked paprika, fermented garlic, tarragon, or honey....

It looks as if for the first time in my life I am prepared for Christmas Eve dinner.....

The meat is dry brining in the fridge for 30 hours now, porcini risotto croquettes all double breaded, mini veggies sous vide'd, smoked some beetroot which is now pickling, parsnip puree with cream and taragon, bean puree to go with the portobelle 'steak' for the vegatarians.

remains to be done; port reduction sauce, roasting off the meat and slow cooking it (Iberico neck), heating the veg and purees adding a knob of butter and or cream here and there, finishing flavoring and plating up.

Desert will be made by my 7 year old, we bought some nice chocolate icecream, amarene cherries and butter galettes, not sure what his plan is or that he has one, we'll see.
(he had a blast at the chocolatier tasting combinations like miso-yuzu-rice vinegar chocolate)

BTW; what is a good way to prevent something double breaded from going all soggy in storage?
The croquettes are now on some baking paper outside (10'C or so) cooling a bit but they'll need to go in the fridge at some point tonight...do I freeze them or just cool them....in boxed with a lid on or not?
Freeze. If you don't freeze them, you'll want to reroll them in your breading.

Actually I was wondering...since you do port sauce a lot... any pointers? What kind of port do you think works best? I have just about every type here but no clue what really works best. And what else do you add?
I made a blackberry port sauce a few years ago and it came out great, but in true amateur fashion I forgot to write down what I actually did. :D
forgot to mention that I'm nowadays using the tawny Lidl port, not the cheapest version they sell but it's quite ok for this purpose (like 10 euro's a bottle) and you'd not know the difference when comparing to a 20 euro Kopke, much fancier port I'd like to drink straight, or mixed with Cognac

Last edited:
forgot to mention that I'm nowadays using the tawny Lidl port, not the cheapest version they sell but it's quite ok for this purpose (like 10 euro's a bottle), much fancier port I'd like to drink straight, or mixed with Cognac
My dilemma is tawny vs ruby. My gameplan so far is to just glaze some shallots, let that simmer with the port and some thyme for a while, maybe some cinnamon, then after a while filter that, mix with the blackberries, let that go into a pulp and then push it through a sieve.
I experimented with adding stock with my raspberry sauce but I found it really dilluted the fruit flavor too much; didn't really make it any better. Different story of course when you have no fruit and it's more of a classical brown sauce.

My dilemma is tawny vs ruby. My gameplan so far is to just glaze some shallots, let that simmer with the port and some thyme for a while, maybe some cinnamon, then after a while filter that, mix with the blackberries, let that go into a pulp and then push it through a sieve.
I experimented with adding stock with my raspberry sauce but I found it really dilluted the fruit flavor too much; didn't really make it any better. Different story of course when you have no fruit and it's more of a classical brown sauce.
Tawny for meat. Ruby for fruit, etc.
It's not a huge difference though. You can use either.

Last edited:
Back