Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coconut Curry Venison......2hr cold smoke on the stag. Chilli and pot pie have always been my favorites for deer but no more. Sweet smoky heat!!!!
20240227_114013.jpg

狮子头 Shi Zi Tou Lion’s Head Meatballs with shiitake and mung bean vermicelli

IMG_3809.jpeg
IMG_3808.jpeg

Not super photogenic or technical but nostalgic for me
When I was a kid, I didn’t eat vegetables, my mother would make these and mix in diced Napa cabbage to get me to eat my veggies
I’m still eat more protein than grass

Jewish-style brisket
Speaking of brisket… my Weber isn’t up and running yet so I’m about to attempt an oven brisket tomorrow.

Not braised; I want to get as close to smoked as possible. I’m not above adding liquid smoke. I even have an injector. Anyone have any advice?

I do have sous vide but want to do this dry. So far I have kosher salted with onion and garlic powder. It’s dry brining overnight on a rack in the fridge. About 6.6 pounds. Looks like point to me. I plan to do 225F for 8 to 12 hours, don’t know whether to wrap or not for stall management.

Help!

Slow and low, that is the tempo. I've done brisket on a grill (indirect), smoker, sous vide and braise, and the same principles apply. Wrap at the stall, about 150. Rest at 203 for an hour if you have it. I avoid liquid smoke if possible. Smoked Maldon will help, and there are some nice smoked peppercorns out there these days as well. You can also throw it on a stovetop smoker for some/all of the process if you have one.

For a faux cambro, I use an Igloo cooler to rest the brisket.

Last edited:
Speaking of brisket… my Weber isn’t up and running yet so I’m about to attempt an oven brisket tomorrow.

Not braised; I want to get as close to smoked as possible. I’m not above adding liquid smoke. I even have an injector. Anyone have any advice?

I do have sous vide but want to do this dry. So far I have kosher salted with onion and garlic powder. It’s dry brining overnight on a rack in the fridge. About 6.6 pounds. Looks like point to me. I plan to do 225F for 8 to 12 hours, don’t know whether to wrap or not for stall management.

Help!

Sous Vide would equal braise (even if you put it in dry due to the liquid coming out).

I've always done braised in the oven, so not a lot of help. But I'd think the decision to wrap would depend on if you have the time to wait to ride out the stall. The wrap is really just a means to speed up that time to get over the hump.

But the smoke into your sauce. Don't think injecting is the best choice.

I have made this salmon recipe for many many years and I have never changed it and it’s one of the house specialty favorites.😎

spread a bed of asparagus on an oiled pan (evoo). Lay seasoned salmon.

Sauce: 1/2 stick butter, melted on low heat, turn heat off after melted. Infuse in microwave one minced garlic clove in 2 tbsp olive oil for 45-60 seconds. Mix it with melted butter.
Add 2 oz of white wine (pinot grigio), juice of a 1/2 lemon, 1 tbsp Worcestershire, 1 teaspoon dry herbs (italian seasoning or Provence), 1/2 tsp or even less salt, 1/4 tsp black pepper. Stirr

Add dill, halves of garlic cloves and lemon slices to the pan.

Add 1/2 of the sauce on the salmon fillet and in the oven at 325F for 25’-35’, basting/brushing every 10-15’ minutes with the rest of the 1/2 left sauce. Broil for 2 minutes moving the pan on the bottom rack of the oven.

Enjoy!

Edit: Suggestions or tweaks are appreciated. Everyone to their taste!👌🏻

Attachments

• IMG_3822.jpeg
    IMG_3822.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3810.jpeg
    IMG_3810.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3820.jpeg
    IMG_3820.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3818.jpeg
    IMG_3818.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3815.jpeg
    IMG_3815.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3812.jpeg
    IMG_3812.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3680.jpeg
    IMG_3680.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@mengwong
Liquid smoke does not taste like smoke. It has its very limited uses, but I wouldn’t use it directly on meat, think more sauce for that. I’d also definitely wrap for stall, no reason not to. Ethan Chombalski (sp) YouTube mustache guy recently did a smoked something in his kitchen you should reference. I’m thinking best way to get smoke flavor without actual smoke is with things that have been actually smoked, like salt and spices in the rub.

Never had an issue with liquid smoke. Peoples main mistake is they use too much of it. It’s incredibly potent and you easily go from “a kiss of smoke” to “making out with a lifetime smoker”. It’ll never replace wood chunks for depth of smoke flavor, but not even pellets will do that. Liquid smoke is just too homogenous of a product. Use enough for a hint and work in multiple layers of smoke, smoked salts, peppers and paprika all come to mind for a rub for brisket.

Chefsteps if memory serves still recommends using liquid smoke in their brisket recipe, and if it’s good enough for Seattle food hipster scientists in moderation it’s probably good enough for most of us

@mengwong
Liquid smoke does not taste like smoke. It has its very limited uses, but I wouldn’t use it directly on meat, think more sauce for that. I’d also definitely wrap for stall, no reason not to. Ethan Chombalski (sp) YouTube mustache guy recently did a smoked something in his kitchen you should reference. I’m thinking best way to get smoke flavor without actual smoke is with things that have been actually smoked, like salt and spices in the rub.
Danish smoked salt
https://salttraders.com/products/danish-viking-smoked-sea-salt-our-exclusive
Adds amazing smoked flavor

Back