Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made both a porchetta and a pork belly today.
IMG_20210224_184141.jpg

Porchetta skin darkened much faster than the pork belly skin. Don't really know why.

Tanner, nice spread! What do you think of the gastrolux 24cm? Reviews seem really split between people who think it's the best thing ever and others who say it's a scam lol. I assume people in the latter camp failed to take proper care, but curious to hear your thoughts!
I got it in 2013 (?) and used it daily for eggs with sautéed vegetables for at least several Years. Eventually they all seem to lose their nonstick abitily, it’s just a matter of when rather than if. I only used silicone utensils, low-med heat, hand wash with microfibre cloth, etc. … doesn’t seem to matter. It still works (better than regular SS) for things like okonomiyaki where you cook with some fat, but on my prior attempt I had the pork belly kind of stick. This time I partially cooked it in a separate pan to render some fat, and that seemed to help. Like it since I have the lid for it, but probably won’t get another, I also have a 32cm that still works really well and a 20cm that I can’t find (it stuck worse than the 24cm). I’d like to see how that depreciating warranty works, but wish I cashed in within the first 5 years.

I got it in 2013 (?) and used it daily for eggs with sautéed vegetables for at least several Years. Eventually they all seem to lose their nonstick abitily, it’s just a matter of when rather than if. I only used silicone utensils, low-med heat, hand wash with microfibre cloth, etc. … doesn’t seem to matter. It still works (better than regular SS) for things like okonomiyaki where you cook with some fat, but on my prior attempt I had the pork belly kind of stick. This time I partially cooked it in a separate pan to render some fat, and that seemed to help. Like it since I have the lid for it, but probably won’t get another, I also have a 32cm that still works really well and a 20cm that I can’t find (it stuck worse than the 24cm). I’d like to see how that depreciating warranty works, but wish I cashed in within the first 5 years.

Too good to be true I guess 🤣 Thanks for the candid feedback.

Have you considered carbon steel? Mine have completely taken over as my non-stick pans.

I also made takoyaki recently… next time it’ll be made with okonomiyaki ingredients (sautéed pork and cabbage) instead of octopus. The takoyaki pan is a lot of fun to use
View attachment 115731
View attachment 115732

Wish I could get the time lapse video as a gif, but not sure… here are a few still shots from it
View attachment 115733
View attachment 115734
View attachment 115735
View attachment 115736

That looks fantastic and that plate is awesome!

I clicked on something like a Japanese or Asian street food video one day. No commentary just the live noises of the cooking and stalls.

One guy was making this on a large scale. He could just pop the balls with a chopstick and they'd flip over. It was super engrossing to watch. :)

It still works (better than regular SS) for things like okonomiyaki where you cook with some fat, but on my prior attempt I had the pork belly kind of stick. This time I partially cooked it in a separate pan to render some fat, and that seemed to help.
Your takoyaki game looks strong!
Carbon steel works really well for okonomiyaki.
I use raw pork belly and flip it again to give the first side at least a minute in the rendered pork fat!!
I'm also finding it's better with more cabbage than I think can possibly be right.
I picked up a mountain yam and a half pound of belly to try again today...

IMG_7011.jpeg

So, did you use your new carbon pan to make that omelet? It looks about the right size.

I did. When I get a new one I try to find things to cook in it for a couple weeks to help set the seasoning. That's two eggs and it worked well. The 10 1/4" lets you move the egg around more so with the smaller one I just laid a piece of foil over it for a couple minutes to let the top firm up a tad before flipping. Probably wasn't necessary.

Your takoyaki game looks strong!
Carbon steel works really well for okonomiyaki.
I use raw pork belly and flip it again to give the first side at least a minute in the rendered pork fat!!
I'm also finding it's better with more cabbage than I think can possibly be right.
I picked up a mountain yam and a half pound of belly to try again today...

View attachment 115769
Thanks! I saw even the kewpie mayo account was impressed lol

7607376E-55FE-4CA7-8806-342C19F191C1.png

I’m going to make miniature okonomiyaki in the takoyaki pan soon. Finely chop the pork and cabbage (also partially cook) before adding to the batter

My pizza never looks like that. Whats your heat source? I do like hints of black crispy on my pizza. When I attempt to, there’s more than just the edges.
I use my domestic oven, cranked to 275C, with a 6mm baking steel. The dough is J. Kenji Lopez-Alt's New York pizza dough recipe with some baking enzymes added. It baked for 9 minutes.

Back