Which popular knife brand did you absolutely hate?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't hate any of my knives, all carbon or carbon clad. Except a Yoshi SKD that's semi stainless & Tanaka Nashiji 240 gensan. All blades are kept sharp & cut well.

Every current production stainless German steel producer that makes my family & friends believe they have awesome knives which are razor sharp, even after being used on plastic cutting boards for 3 years without any sharpening since bought.

Whenever I mention they're dull as heck, the reply has been more than once "don't think so, this is a Wüsthoff/Sab/Zwilling"

Maybe the actual problem is the people that use them though :p

They are not hard to sharpen at all... It is just AUS 8 Steel. Have you ever tryed to sharpen SB1/Elmax Steel this is weird to deburr but also managable. Globals are easy to sharpen. Maybe you got a fake ?

SirCutAlot
I think he’s talking about more than one he sharpened. Also, that he would politely doubt your results. Also relatively speaking, bastard SS in general is a « difficult » sharpening compared to a lot of other steels or better ht’ed/finer SS. In absolute I know he hates clinging burrs that fatigue and tear away before they release leaving a jarring edge behind.

It coincidentally seems pretty obvious that the knives he mentioned are a general source of hatred on KKF for similar reasons.

He didn’t talk about a range of « easy » or « hard », he said « difficult » which I read in his POV as « stubborn » or « ill tempered » (pun intended) like you’d say in a rather formal, old school way: the child is being difficult.

I absolutely hate the brand Kamikoto. A friend of mine gifted me one of their three knife sets since they thought it was something I would like. The worst grind out of the box I have ever seen super uneven and wonky and was not even sharp out of the box it felt like I was cutting food with an extremely dull butter knife.

A language question by a foreigner, if you don't mind: to my feeling, the term hate is being used very easily, and even more by American than British users. Am I right? That being said, if any knife deserves it, it certainly is a Global or a Kai Wasabi due to the difficult sharpening it causes with its huge and even agglutinating carbides.
Yes, pretty much. Hate is a tricky word in American English. It is used for tiny things that don't matter ("I hate when I wake up 30 minutes before my alarm goes off"), medium-tiny things that matter a little ("I hate sharpening Globals on a Shapton Glass stone, they just skate on the surface"), nearly nonexistent or imaginary things, and medium to very large things. Probably best to translate it mentally as "amorphous dislike" and not try to use it. I'd kind of like to stop using it myself; it seems lazy somehow.

I hate both of my zKramers from a performance standpoint. They're beautiful knives though which is what makes it such a shame. I always hoped to find somebody who could thin them both out and re etch them for the Damascus and add back the logos but I'm not sure if anybody does that.

My Kurosaki houou ain't my favorite from a performance standpoint especially from the about 800 dollars I dropped on it.

Similar feelings towards my Takeda. Not worth the thousand dollars. Not by a long shot.

Mazaki December 2022 K&S profile absolutely did not hit the spot for me. I loved the way it looked and even thinned it a fair amount. It got better but just never was as thin BTE or had as much distal taper as advertised.

I still kinda want a santoku or nakiri because I'm curious about his grind more but the gyuto very much did not match the hype.

20221214_151333.jpg

A language question by a foreigner, if you don't mind: to my feeling, the term hate is being used very easily, and even more by American than British users. Am I right? That being said, if any knife deserves it, it certainly is a Global or a Kai Wasabi due to the difficult sharpening it causes with its huge and even agglutinating carbides.

Ben: Wonders about the semantic minutiae of certain words across different cultures, because English isn't his first language.

Also Ben: Wangs 'agglutinating carbides' into the very next sentence, and everybody has to google what on earth it means.

Love it! 😘😘😘

Bought a Takeda Sasanoha 270 awhile back and really didn’t like it. I realized they have a really tough geometry to sharpen and keep duplicating.

Bought a Tanaka Kyuzo quickly after and realized how much easier it was to cut things. Made me frustrated having spent $500 on it

Also learned a valuable lesson that when you’re in a mostly vegetarian household, buying a slicer is kinda a waste of time.

Ben: Wonders about the semantic minutiae of certain words across different cultures, because English isn't his first language.

Also Ben: Wangs 'agglutinating carbides' into the very next sentence, and everybody has to google what on earth it means.

Love it! 😘😘😘
Both only confirm how uncertain non-native speakers can be about the appropriate register.

Both only confirm how uncertain non-native speakers can be about the appropriate register.

Haha... I suppose so! Though tbh if you'd asked me before your post above, I'm not sure I'd have guessed for certain that English was a second language for you, because it's effectively completely fluent. At the least I'd have assumed you grew up bilingual from an early age.

And yes, you're right - 'hate' is certainly one of those words with quite a broad range of meaning, seriousness and flippancy attached to it. Hating Mondays is rather different from hate crime, for instance.

Last edited:
Kono HD2.

To begin with I paid way to much for it. I was new in the knife game. And was convinced by a very skilled salesman.

Besides that.. I never understood the hype about a semi stainless stamped knife that never performed more then average at best. And in my book was outperformed by many cheaper knives.

I would take a shiro kamo in forged VG10 any day over a hd2. And the shiro kamo was 1/3 the price.

Only 1 knife I absolutely detested. Kono FM W#1 240 with the most uncomfortable 2-wood handle I've held. The dislike was immediate. From the super reactive cladding to the sand blasted faux kasumi. I have no idea why these are so popular.

I hate both of my zKramers from a performance standpoint. They're beautiful knives though which is what makes it such a shame. I always hoped to find somebody who could thin them both out and re etch them for the Damascus and add back the logos but I'm not sure if anybody does that.

My Kurosaki houou ain't my favorite from a performance standpoint especially from the about 800 dollars I dropped on it.

Similar feelings towards my Takeda. Not worth the thousand dollars. Not by a long shot.
Hang on, thousand dollar Takeda? Chuka bocho?

Only 1 knife I absolutely detested. Kono FM W#1 240 with the most uncomfortable 2-wood handle I've held. The dislike was immediate. From the super reactive cladding to the sand blasted faux kasumi. I have no idea why these are so popular.

One of the CKTG “custom” handles?

I've definitely tried out my fair share of clunkers... For me though, the knife(/brand) that I tried that simply didn't "cut it" was Shun! In fact, my disappointment over the failure of Shun to meet the hype (in my opinion) is what brought me into the rabbit hole of artisan knives, and ultimately here. So... thanks for making clunkers, Shun?

How about you?
TBH, I've never bought a knife I've ended up hating, kinda knew what I wanted, researched before buying—skipped over and never tried Global, Shun, etc. Sure, some knives didn't jive with me preferences, but are good knives.

Back