Which Y. Tanaka to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s in CAD not US$. In Us $ it’s 20% less and equivalent to the other upper end YTs in price.

even in USD they have it quoted as 760. That’s with their option to change currency in their drop down menu

Thanks you all.

So I'm kinda down to three 210's by Y. Tanaka:

The JNS
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 197 mm
Height at heel - 49 mm
Width of spine at handle- 3 mm
Width of spine above heel- 2,9 mm
Width of spine at middle- 2,3 mm
Width of spine 1 cm from the tip- 1,2 mm
Weight - 150 g
Ho-wood handle, buffalo ferrule

Takada no Hamono Suiboko
Blue 1, suiboko
Length - 202 mm
Height at Heel - 46 mm
Width of spine above Heel: 2.6 mm
Weight: 130 g
rosewood handle, ebony ferrule

Sakai Kikumori
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 201 mm
Height at heel - 45 mm
Width of spine at heel - 2,9 mm
Width of spine halfway - 1,9
Width of spine 1 cm from tip - 0,9 mm
Weight - 129 g
Ho-wood handle

I've had the Kikumori recommended by @shinyunggyun also for better fit and finish.

Just for comparison:

Konosuke HD2, 210 mm
Lenght - 203 mm
Height at heel - 48 mm
Width of spine at heel - 2,45 mm
Weight - 120 g

Konosuke Fujiyama FM, 210 mm
Lenght - 205 mm
Height at heel - 51 mm
Width of spine at heel - 3 mm
Weight - 156 g
Laurel handle

So the HD2 seems very close to the Takada, and the FM is closest to JNS, it seems.

Any thoughts? :) Some other versions I should look into?

Thanks you all.

The JNS
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 197 mm
Height at heel - 49 mm
Weight - 150 g

Takada no Hamono Suiboko
Blue 1, suiboko
Length - 202 mm
Height at Heel - 46 mm

Sakai Kikumori
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 201 mm
Height at heel - 45 mm
Weight - 129 g
Ho-wood handle

I've had the Kikumori recommended by @shinyunggyun also for better fit and finish.

Just for comparison:

Konosuke HD2, 210 mm
Lenght - 203 mm
Height at heel - 48 mm
Weight - 120 g

Lenght - 205 mm
Height at heel - 51 mm
Weight - 156 g
Laurel handle

So the HD2 seems very close to the Takada, and the FM is closest to JNS, it seems.

again, I still say go with blue, and either Fuji or takada. I have one of each and they’re both great f&f

Last edited:
Keep in mind that different handles can have a significant effect on the total weight, thereby making comparisons by weight between knives with different handles a rather dubious affair.

Thanks you all.

The JNS
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 197 mm
Height at heel - 49 mm
Weight - 150 g

Takada no Hamono Suiboko
Blue 1, suiboko
Length - 202 mm
Height at Heel - 46 mm

Sakai Kikumori
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 201 mm
Height at heel - 45 mm
Weight - 129 g
Ho-wood handle

Just for comparison:

Konosuke HD2, 210 mm
Lenght - 203 mm
Height at heel - 48 mm
Weight - 120 g

Lenght - 205 mm
Height at heel - 51 mm
Weight - 156 g
Laurel handle

It's hard to compare knives just looking at dimensional specs (Length, width, height, weight). For example, on paper based on the measurements listed, the Kono HD2 is thinner and lighter than a Kono FM. However, the grind on the FM is much thinner and more aggressive behind the edge than the HD2.

Thanks you all.

The JNS
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 197 mm
Height at heel - 49 mm
Weight - 150 g

Takada no Hamono Suiboko
Blue 1, suiboko
Length - 202 mm
Height at Heel - 46 mm

Sakai Kikumori
Blue 1, damascus
Length - 201 mm
Height at heel - 45 mm
Weight - 129 g
Ho-wood handle

Just for comparison:

Konosuke HD2, 210 mm
Lenght - 203 mm
Height at heel - 48 mm
Weight - 120 g

Lenght - 205 mm
Height at heel - 51 mm
Weight - 156 g
Laurel handle

Be aware that the weights can be wildly off what is listed. My FM White 2 210 was 117g (ho wood handle). It had been listed at around 132g on Bernal

Doesn't wide bevels crack?

really just depends on the specific implementation. if you use some finger stones to knock off the hard edge off stones it definitely helps IME.

even in USD they have it quoted as 760. That’s with their option to change currency in their drop down menu
There must be an error with their currency conversion tool because that is the Canadian price that I paid.

It is still expensive for sure. It might not be worth it for some people. For me, it checked all the boxes for a single workhorse knife that can do it all, so I splurged a bit. If you are looking for something thin, smooth and shiny, this is not it, but it is solid, straight and holds an edge forever

So here is some thoughts:

I had this. It had zero edge out of the box, wouldn't slice printer paper at all. Once I put an edge on it, it seemed like a nice enough blade. Decent cutter, nice balance. A better sharpener may have made this more impressive, but it seemed "Ok". To me, way over-priced at the current pricing ($640CAD)

Takada no Hamono Suiboko
Blue 1, suiboko

Sakai Kikumori
Blue 1, damascus

never had either. based on weights, I suspect them to getting into the "laser" realm. This mean nice thin grind, but you likely trade off some nice convexing due to the weight (less weight = less steel = less convex)

Konosuke HD2, 210 mm

I love the steel on this - it is so damn easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a long time. Biggest hit on it is that the grind is very near flat (or it was on the one I had)

You don't list steel, but I had one in White 2. 117g. It as a "meh" kind of knife. Laser in very hard steel. Very little convexing (but more than the HD2). Did cut well, but blind, I'd have a hard time choosing between it and a HD2. Hated the chamfer on the spine (as it made the actual contact point quite small). Found it a pain in the ass to sharpen, which was an issue as White 2 edge retention was "sharp, sharp, go grab another knife"

Given the edge retention vs sharpening issue, I would take a HD2 over the FM (based on the knives I had).

If I were to try another Tanaka right now, I'd get: Yoshikazu Tanaka AS Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm, but I have to say that would be a stretch. There are other smiths out there that I'd rather try for that price.

Like this: Konosuke MM Blue gyuto (chef's knife), 240 mm, Khii ebony -incl. saya-. Last one of this line I think available anywhere. Sharpened by Myojin (FM sharpener) but with more steel so you get a nice convex at the heel which he blends into a thin tip. They aren't as flash as some knives, but you pick them up and get the job done.

A Kono Tetsujin if you can find one is also a good option.

So here is some thoughts:

I had this. It had zero edge out of the box, wouldn't slice printer paper at all. Once I put an edge on it, it seemed like a nice enough blade. Decent cutter, nice balance. A better sharpener may have made this more impressive, but it seemed "Ok". To me, way over-priced at the current pricing ($640CAD)

never had either. based on weights, I suspect them to getting into the "laser" realm. This mean nice thin grind, but you likely trade off some nice convexing due to the weight (less weight = less steel = less convex)

I love the steel on this - it is so damn easy to sharpen and stays sharp for a long time. Biggest hit on it is that the grind is very near flat (or it was on the one I had)

You don't list steel, but I had one in White 2. 117g. It as a "meh" kind of knife. Laser in very hard steel. Very little convexing (but more than the HD2). Did cut well, but blind, I'd have a hard time choosing between it and a HD2. Hated the chamfer on the spine (as it made the actual contact point quite small). Found it a pain in the ass to sharpen, which was an issue as White 2 edge retention was "sharp, sharp, go grab another knife"

Given the edge retention vs sharpening issue, I would take a HD2 over the FM (based on the knives I had).

If I were to try another Tanaka right now, I'd get: Yoshikazu Tanaka AS Kurouchi Gyuto 210mm, but I have to say that would be a stretch. There are other smiths out there that I'd rather try for that price.

Like this: Konosuke MM Blue gyuto (chef's knife), 240 mm, Khii ebony -incl. saya-. Last one of this line I think available anywhere. Sharpened by Myojin (FM sharpener) but with more steel so you get a nice convex at the heel which he blends into a thin tip. They aren't as flash as some knives, but you pick them up and get the job done.

A Kono Tetsujin if you can find one is also a good option.
I always appreciate your posts, Esoo. Last time, I ended up getting the YS-M because of you. Still have it, and love it. Sooo thin behind the edge. I kinda want a 210, since ive gotten af 255 since, but there are some nice 240ies as well... Kinda into the Kikumori by now, but we'll see. MM is beautiful I think, and I know your praise of it. Thanks mate.

Thanks everyone. After persuation from @shinyunggyun i ordered the kikumori 210 mm blue 1 damascus from strata. Shinyunggyun Has tried a lot of different tanakas and couldnt recommend this enough and I was looking for a laser. Really considered the takada from carbonkc but it was sold out and also considered the 240 migoto, but it's a middle weight. Will post pictures when it comes. Thanks KKF.

Nope but the info is sure confusing. Title say White 2 and specs say Aogami
It just looks like a bit of sloppy copy / pasting. There is an Aogami #1 version also on the site which is more expensive with a fancier handle. I assume based on the price the knife in the link is white #2.

Hitohira Tanaka x Yohei in blue 1 would be my pick for the finest in the bunch, but mostly because the higher end Hitohira handles are really something.

I have the JNS damascus blue 1 it's nice but quite small/light for a 240 even with an ebony rehandle and barely bigger than my Hinoura 210.

but my preferences definitely lean towards convex and I dont know if he works with a wide bevel sharpener who is sending knives out like that. if he does, ok that'd probably win.

as far as steel goes yeah I dunno AS is too alloyed for me personally would rather just stick with white 1/2 or blue 1/2. if I want an alloyed steel r2 is acceptable for sure.
Ditto that. The Yohei is exceptional. Visually stunning too. I find it better than my JNS Tanaka.

from a price-value perspective, Kaiju is the best deal in blue 1 at 600. But impossible to find. It is a truly amazing performer and gorgeous to look at

here is the Yohei
A714C0FA-DB4E-4A26-A3BB-80D145DDDDF8.jpeg
291B59F5-41D1-4049-A658-AA22972C80B8.jpeg

That is beautiful, and I think it's cheaper than the Sakai Kikkumori blue 2 dammy 210 I got, right? Even though mine is just with a ho wood handle with horn ferrule.

I plan on getting a new handle - any idea who whould do it or were to buy one? Im in Denmark.

And where can one find the Yohei? Which rumor has it is Takada no hamono? Which is my fav gyuto?

And where can one find the Yohei? Which rumor has it is Takada no hamono? Which is my fav gyuto?

It’s almost certainly a Takada and it’s a lovely blade, finished beautifully. Protooling in Aus seems to have stock again fwiw - decent price, with free postage iirc

I’ve also just bought a FM in White, which looks a fantastic prospect. Wary that I can’t really justify a trilogy of top notch Tanaka gyutos, so possible that I may move one on in a few months. That of course assumes I’m far more ruthless and less sentimental about my knives that I actually am.

Thanks I just ordered a 135 mm suiboku petty and the gyuto I have already from Nakagawa though Takada it’s not a suiboku. But it’s killer. Need a 240 Tanaka suiboku yet it appears to be a unicorn

You can also find one at Carbon Knife co. It is the one I have - 270mm, but it’s edge length is 255. Comes in at 210 gm or so.

protooling also has one, but it’s much lighter, perhaps because of the Ho wood handle

Back