Your favorite white pepper powder?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan

Reaction score
So I've just recently started using fine powdered white pepper and love it in my simple pasta with greens and chicken or fish dish. I had some around that I'm not sure where I got is but I got it in bulk. I thought it was the Frontier Organic white pepper. The stuff I had was perfect, I felt no need to find anything else but now I'm in a conundrum. Bought a pound of the Frontier and while it is pretty good and better than a random pick from the Asian grocery store it is nowhere near as good as what I may never be able to replace. Does any white pepper aficionado out there have a finely powdered white pepper that they love that doesn't smell real bad and of course has a fairly strong and excellent flavor? All I'm interested in is the finely ground powdered stuff.
Thanks

So I've just recently started using fine powdered white pepper and love it in my simple pasta with greens and chicken or fish dish. I had some around that I'm not sure where I got is but I got it in bulk. I thought it was the Frontier Organic white pepper. The stuff I had was perfect, I felt no need to find anything else but now I'm in a conundrum. Bought a pound of the Frontier and while it is pretty good and better than a random pick from the Asian grocery store it is nowhere near as good as what I may never be able to replace. Does any white pepper aficionado out there have a finely powdered white pepper that they love that doesn't smell real bad and of course has a fairly strong and excellent flavor? All I'm interested in is the finely ground powdered stuff.
Thanks

I will be interested to see people's opinions. I have never found a white pepper that tasted like anything besides a mildewy basement lavatory floor. I never use it. It is vastly inferior to every other color of peppercorn and kind of like comparing white chocolate to the real thing. I can't imagine why I would want to put something that tastes so bad on my food. Maybe I just haven't found the right one.

I
I will be interested to see people's opinions. I have never found a white pepper that tasted like anything besides a mildewy basement lavatory floor. I never use it. It is vastly inferior to every other color of peppercorn and kind of like comparing white chocolate to the real thing. I can't imagine why I would want to put something that tastes so bad on my food. Maybe I just haven't found the right one.
Can’t have a good Chinese fish soup without white pepper tho, it taste horrendous on its on but come a life in rich dishes

damn. i admit i buy this shaker full of the stuff. i am 99% sure the brand is Mr. Chens. hahhaha..

i am not a super fan of the white stuff, but this stuff is super powerful enough.

Many of the ones I tried have a mildew odor that I can't stand, as @stringer mentioned. This is the one I currently use where I haven't noticed that issue.
PXL_20231121_230458729.jpg

buy whole white peppercorns and grind them fresh,, preground usually is years old stuff...Kampot is my current fave.

My wife has a shaker/grinder of "rainbow" peppercorn from Trader Joe's. I refuse to use it because the proportion of white peppercorns is entirely too high. She is trying to get rid of it by putting it on stuff that she makes that I don't eat.

Many of the ones I tried have a mildew odor that I can't stand, as @stringer mentioned. This is the one I currently use where I haven't noticed that issue.
View attachment 283551

I will give it a try next time I'm at the Asian grocer

yes. Uncle Chen perfumed my hot and sour soup beautifully. a nice heat, and smell. nothing off putting

buy whole white peppercorns and grind them fresh,, preground usually is years old stuff...Kampot is my current fave.
This is the way. I love white pepper, and it is so much better fresh-ground. A few grinds of white pepper, just before serving, improves almost any soup. It's essential in the black pepper/white pepper/cayenne pepper trio that turns up in Cajun recipes, as part of a strategy to wake up your whole mouth.

I'm trying to think of some standard seasoning that I hate as much as @stringer hates white pepper. I can only come up with two:

Truffle oil. I like truffles, but I can't stand this stuff. Some restaurants seem to love it. I vividly recall some otherwise magnificent sweetbreads ruined by this garbage.

That seasoning, I can't remember the name, but it's what hot dogs have a lot of and what makes them taste shoddy compared to Knackwurst. I think it's a dull yellow.

O yesss....truffle oil, it's a show stopper for me...the smell alone kills any appetite I may have....

Nothing wrong with white pepper, as long as it's decent quality and fresh ground and IMHO it has a place in cooking, for one because of the lack of color, and for it's more one dimensional flavor of 'spicey' than black pepper.

I brought back a half kilo of unground from Cambodia a few years ago. Fresh grind when ever I need some and its still very good.
you just gave me a great idea!!

my friend and coworker moved to Cambodia after quitting his job. he wants back, and i am hiring him back. he better have peppercorns with him for day one. :D

you just gave me a great idea!!

my friend and coworker moved to Cambodia after quitting his job. he wants back, and i am hiring him back. he better have peppercorns with him for day one. :D
I didn't know about Cambodian peppercorn until I walked into a large wet market there. Huge burlap sacks of every kind of peppercorn in stall after stall. My only regret is I didn't buy far more. Much to my surprise I went through a half kilo of black in nothing flat. I tend to save the white for recipes that specifically calls for it.

I have white Kampot peppercorns here, as well as Chinese ground white pepper. The freshly-ground Kampot is unsurprisingly superior to the pre-ground white pepper from the Asian supermarket.

Last edited:
what's wrong with white pepper?
Some white pepper smells strongly like dung. I have only recently used it. I bought some I don't know where, started using it and loved it. I think there is something almost magical about it. It did not smell bad, maybe only a faint smell people don't like. I ran out and bought some well respected powder from Frontier and it is good but now where near what I had before and does has some dung smell which I would like to get rid of or almost get rid of. I have only used very fine powder so I'm not so interested in grinding whole corns because I would not be able to get a very fine powder. Maybe it is not as important as I think it is but fine powder seems a standard and probably for a reason. It is weird enough, especially if it smells bad that it is easy to see why people don't like it.

Back