Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YouTube/BonAppetit chef Molly Baz shows us how the pros do it!
Episode 1: Knives

She's doing some weird flappy motion on purpose visible at the 1:40 mark, like "Hey, I'm going to thin my knife on the edge leading strokes!". It's kind of a miracle that the knife ended up sharp and really a testament to how forgiving sharpening on a stone is. You can see the wicked scratches she left all along the side of the blade at the 3:40 mark since she was basically doing a zero bevel. “15 to 20 degrees”, uh huh sure.

Yeah her technique sucks, but given that she's a shill for crate and barrel, I have to agree that for the most part this is a positive development. A few years ago someone like her wouldn't know the difference between sharpening and honing. Maybe trickle-down expertise does work marginally?

Yeah I'm struggling to really hate on it. At least it covers a lot more of the basics than a lot of these crappy intro movies, and while the technique isn't smoothest at least it's actually mentioning sharpening. There's only so much info you can cram into one of these 10 minute primers anyway.

Went back for the belly button. She did convey some good, basic information in a manner that will be easily understood by the uninitiated. And for that I'll applaud the effort. Actual skills maybe not so much.

It's kind of a miracle that the knife ended up sharp and really a testament to how forgiving sharpening on a stone is. Y

I'm guessing there was a bit of editing taking place. She did the rub a dub bit, cut, give it to someone to sharpen, resume. Like when the "celebrity" makes one of something, cut to the commercial and when it comes back there's a dozen. I've been the guy that makes the dozen.

I'm guessing there was a bit of editing taking place. She did the rub a dub bit, cut, give it to someone to sharpen, resume. Like when the "celebrity" makes one of something, cut to the commercial and when it comes back there's a dozen. I've been the guy that makes the dozen.
Say it isn't so. Oh and 👍 for the gratuitous belly button shots

She's doing some weird flappy motion on purpose visible at the 1:40 mark, like "Hey, I'm going to thin my knife on the edge leading strokes!". It's kind of a miracle that the knife ended up sharp and really a testament to how forgiving sharpening on a stone is. You can see the wicked scratches she left all along the side of the blade at the 3:40 mark since she was basically doing a zero bevel. “15 to 20 degrees”, uh huh sure.
Who the F$&@ taught her how to sharpen. It’s amazing the people these companies have representing them. I guess she pulled off a coarse convexed edge, or perhaps a wire edge. It wasn’t as bad as that one woman who the thread was started on.

i sharpened knives for 3 hours tonight and was feeling a little down on myself. very slowly improving, but good angle control is hard. it's hard to keep a super consistent angle, and it's hard to pick what angle that is. you know, the basic struggle. i can slice paper and shave hair, but i'm still a beginner.

and then i saw this molly video. holy crap. compared to her, i'm looking pretty good. she looks like that was her first day sharpening.

So I'm making a short series of sharpening videos for beginners, doing final edits on the scripts. I'm working to be a simple as possible without losing accuracy, and looking around at other videos to compare. This one just drives me crazy, because I disagree with so many details and couldn't imagine saying them in a video of my own.

All that said, I enjoy his little carrot test quite a bit.

Professional sharpener with a clip on angle guide?
40a010bda6ff53091e7bb823fb70e3f5.jpg

So I'm making a short series of sharpening videos for beginners, doing final edits on the scripts. I'm working to be a simple as possible without losing accuracy, and looking around at other videos to compare. This one just drives me crazy, because I disagree with so many details and couldn't imagine saying them in a video of my own.

the voice was enough for me, couldn't handle more than 2 min :oops:

This.... I couldn't even finish watching it.

As if I needed more proof that Paris Hilton doesn't belong anywhere near a kitchen, I came across this video. She managed to co-opt Kim Kardashian into the "cook" who is almost as clueless but seriously... Paris is in a class of her own!

The video is actually a critique of her efforts by Uncle Roger who has taken shots at Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey cooking egg fried rice - his fave topic. Check him out. Uncle Roger makes watching possible. By themselves, these ladies would be unbearable.

I like Uncle Roger videos but the Paris video was just so cringe inducingly awful that I could only watch a few minutes.

It just completely astounds me that (a) she thinks acting like that is cool and interesting and (b) people actually watch her show as if she’s cool and interesting. Or maybe she’s actually doing self-parody and I’m taking the whole thing too seriously.

As if I needed more proof that Paris Hilton doesn't belong anywhere near a kitchen, I came across this video. She managed to co-opt Kim Kardashian into the "cook" who is almost as clueless but seriously... Paris is in a class of her own!

The video is actually a critique of her efforts by Uncle Roger who has taken shots at Jamie Oliver and Gordon Ramsey cooking egg fried rice - his fave topic. Check him out. Uncle Roger makes watching possible. By themselves, these ladies would be unbearable.

He liked Gordon Ramsey’s fried rice.

Between a dollar store knife and a Kramer carbon, can you figure out which is more expensive? Watch to find out the answer!

Majorly disagree with Geoff being a knucklehead. He’s talked about this on Knife Talk and his IG. The target audience for shows on these channels are not going to be the people on KKF.

I'll kick it off with my favorite wanker....

[video=youtube;syvvxx3eGpI]

OK sure, I'm a decade too late to this thread but hey, I just recently joined! Had to comment on Chef Ramsay's steeling technique - I watched at 0.25% speed and he is literally running the edge at 90º to the steel every few strokes. If that knife was sharp to begin with it sure wasn't after that abuse. Thanks for the chuckle (10 years later :D)!

This damn thread is going to take me months to get through!

Latest posts

Back