You've got to pick a new paring or two....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

playford

Reaction score
Hello.

My old carter paring went walkies so in the market for something new.

I'd like stainless or stainless clad. Western most likely. I use a paring mostly as a peeler granny style for garlic, onions etc. I've found some of the Japanese to ones a bit small in the hand, so considering just a wusthof sheepsfoot? Any ideas? I'm guessing things have moved on besides misono/mac or harner being the only choices. Hattori Fh is nice but 180 dollars plus vat is crazy money! I'd love an old carter paring but I have some and no chance!

Ideas folks?

Last edited:
It's not the greatest handle, but it works for me. I vastly prefer it to things like Victorionox with the cheap, fibrox. It has a more solid feel, and I like the steel better than Wusthof. Haven't tried Misono. I find myself choking up on it to use it birds beak style, in hand.

I looked at something like this, But I'd guess the steel being a bit soft/thick isn't idea.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-12-30-16-43-49-633_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-12-30-16-43-49-633_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 0
Have you got a pic of the Carter?
Parers do seem hard to get right

Have you got a pic of the Carter?
Parers do seem hard to get right
The one I like is the original muteki one from a million years ago. Can't find a pic.

The one I had that was perfect was the carter petty you ground down for me into a sheepsfoot, it went walkies if you remember.

Well I had to buy one for a lady friend recently. Despite myself, and since I/she didn't want to pay a hefty price, I finally ordered a cheap Sakai Kikumori Western SG2 120mm. Perhaps a bit thick and totally useless edge out of the box, but gets a nicer one easily, and the handle is just nicely chunky in hand to use beak/granny style which is exactly what she does with it. I put a relief bevel to it to alleviate thickness BTE.

Possibly 120mm some guys will find a bit short for that use, possibly not. Thought it fitted very well myself although I seldom use a knife that way.

Well I had to buy one for a lady friend recently. Despite myself, and since I/she didn't want to pay a hefty price, I finally ordered a cheap Sakai Kikumori Western SG2 120mm. Perhaps a bit thick and totally useless edge out of the box, but gets a nicer one easily, and the handle is just nicely chunky in hand to use beak/granny style which is exactly what she does with it. I put a relief bevel to it to alleviate thickness BTE.

Possibly 120mm some guys will find a bit short for that use, possibly not. Thought it fitted very well myself although I seldom use a knife that way.
I have a 150mm Hattori, this is for peeling small jobs that a petty is too big for

Off the shelf, the Shun Classic 3.5" doesn't suck. MAC Pro is prob good.

To replace the Carter, I would go with a Harner - there's a reason it's so well liked. (I've two and a "scapel".) If you can find one, the Ealy is very robust and a joy to use.

Off the shelf, the Shun Classic 3.5" doesn't suck. MAC Pro is prob good.

To replace the Carter, I would go with a Harner - there's a reason it's so well liked. (I've two and a "scapel".) If you can find one, the Ealy is very robust and a joy to use.
I dropped him a message there to see if he could do me a Japanese style sheepsfoot next time he is doing a run.

Butch is a good guy, always found him easy to deal with in the past.

On the Harner, consider his “steak” knife. The western handle is very nice, good grind as is customary, and longer-but-not-at-all-too-long in hand parer. This is from his IG and gives a comparison of the steak and parer size. I am VERY happy with my steak knife.

I'm planning a mixture of sheepsfoot and wa handle, kinda similar vibe

Years back I acquired a Shun “Alton’s angle” sheepsfoot.

I use it primarily for bar back work.

I think they are out of production - I guard it carefully!

From way back when AB had a deal w/ Shun. There was a whole line with the angled handle (20° ?) The story was he is tall and it ergonomic for him (and tall people) **

Not sure about the ergonomics, they were never comfortable for me - EXCEPT that sheepsfoot. Love the small blade (regular sheepsfoot size but with added knuckle
clearance!!!

Strictly a board-work blade.

** Definitely vintage because the logo is from back when he had hair! 😜 plus I’ve had it for about 15 yrs.

Attachments

• 017A8574-F5AD-42E8-B3DA-55954C02F173.jpeg
    017A8574-F5AD-42E8-B3DA-55954C02F173.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 98EF5277-CB7E-4397-8905-6D617BF4B5E3.jpeg
    98EF5277-CB7E-4397-8905-6D617BF4B5E3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 6745F0C9-8833-45B9-B4B7-24DD3869430B.jpeg
    6745F0C9-8833-45B9-B4B7-24DD3869430B.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • F9B68728-DBB3-43C4-8DDE-F6BBFC9DEF25.jpeg
    F9B68728-DBB3-43C4-8DDE-F6BBFC9DEF25.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 83FC3398-2C5E-4BA3-9072-AA1D5E98CF46.jpeg
    83FC3398-2C5E-4BA3-9072-AA1D5E98CF46.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Personally I think sheepsfoot sucks; the tip just doesn't perform. I prefer centertip models (or more triangular French style). Similarly, while you can peel just fine with longer models, for other jobs like coring, pitting, shorter is better... so for me a good versatile paring knife should be around 9 cm max.
I feel you about the handle issue though; handle being too smal is my main gripe with most of them.
I'm partial to the Robert Herder paring knives - even the cheaper models - but they share that problem; in that sense my quest isn't over yet.

Butch knocks it outta the park. Looking forward to trying this out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-01-10-00-30-02-268_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-01-10-00-30-02-268_com.android.chrome-edit.jpg
    309.2 KB · Views: 0
Personally I think sheepsfoot sucks; the tip just doesn't perform. I prefer centertip models (or more triangular French style). Similarly, while you can peel just fine with longer models, for other jobs like coring, pitting, shorter is better... so for me a good versatile paring knife should be around 9 cm max.
I feel you about the handle issue though; handle being too smal is my main gripe with most of them.
I'm partial to the Robert Herder paring knives - even the cheaper models - but they share that problem; in that sense my quest isn't over yet.
Meesterslijpers has one that is centertip with a longer handle. Have you tried that one?

My favorite for doing in-hand stuff like peeling granny style is a Paraplui A Le'Epreuve Perfect Parer from Thérias et l'Econome. I got it from Epicurean Edge. Great classic shape, soft carbon steel that's easy to sharpen and maintain, nice pakkawood handle and great fit and finish for like $55 or something.

Back