Budget options with great value.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perverockstar

Reaction score
Recently I have acquired a Kyohei Shindo Bunka and a Muneishi Ko-Bunka, each one of them costed me below €100.

The Kyohei Shindo came with a very special and aggressive grind. A nice quality blade of Aogami #2 with soft stainless cladding, specially for the price. The fit and fitnish was rough and the handle was utter crap, plastic ferrule and uneven where it meets the handle, but for that price I can not complain. Great performer. I'm having the handle replaced at this very moment.

The Muneishi is not as aggressive but the grind is also well done. There is some sloppy rounding on the spine and the choil but the blade in general is also quite good, Aogami #2 with iron cladding. The handle came really smooth! It even came properly sealed. I was expecting less...

What other similar brands/smiths and offerings do you know about that offers a great value?

Takamura also comes to mind...

While I can certainly spend some money on high end stuff, I often find myself enjoying stuff that, while far from perfect, offers a terrific value. You could even see that in my guitar collection. I have guitars of +€3,000 and some that costed only a couple of hundreds, and I quite enjoy all of them.

I have the same Kyohei Bunka and can say I was also impressed for the price I paid, I think it was like 79 euros at the time. I am not a huge fan of Santoku but thought the k-tip of the Bunka could be really nice for things like garlic and it was. But I agree with everything you said. I am personally working on building a new handle for mine (original is pretty much crap, since it is a knife I can play around with and what it was purchased for.

I have to say this was the second Japanese knife I ever bought back then after getting a Takamura R2 as my first and just wanted something to play with and try without hurting the bank too much and it is a keeper.

I have the same Kyohei Bunka and can say I was also impressed for the price I paid, I think it was like 79 euros at the time. I am not a huge fan of Santoku but thought the k-tip of the Bunka could be really nice for things like garlic and it was. But I agree with everything you said. I am personally working on building a new handle for mine (original is pretty much crap, since it is a knife I can play around with and what it was purchased for.

I have to say this was the second Japanese knife I ever bought back then after getting a Takamura R2 as my first and just wanted something to play with and try without hurting the bank too much and it is a keeper.

I also payed €79 + shipping for it (Meestersljippers), the Muneishi was €75 with free shipping (Clean Cut). I'm genuinely impressed by the quality I got for such low money.

Hence why I ask. I'm eager to try more budget options that offer similar quality.

I also payed €79 + shipping for it (Meestersljippers), the Muneishi was €75 with free shipping (Clean Cut). I'm genuinely impressed by the quality I got for such low money.

Hence why I ask. I'm eager to try more budget options that offer similar quality.

Yeah, I would love to see what members here say on that topic as well. I like to make suggestions to friends and family when they jump into that rabbit hole after being over at my house and usually, a more budget option is easier to bring across than telling them to go out and spend 500 on a Toyama.

Since that buy, I have purchased quite a few higher-priced knives and am eager to try some custom makers now.

Yeah, I would love to see what members here say on that topic as well. I like to make suggestions to friends and family when they jump into that rabbit hole after being over at my house and usually, a more budget option is easier to bring across than telling them to go out and spend 500 on a Toyama.

Since that buy, I have purchased quite a few higher-priced knives and am eager to try some custom makers now.

Actually I'm working on two collections right now. One with high end knives for special occasions and another one with mid and low thier ones for using them at work.

I believe that all this is also gonna help me on getting more knowledge.

Hinokuni will be in that Muneishi class. Although they do have a plastic ferrule. With either brand you can run into inconsistencies, some better, some worse.

Tadafusa and Tsunehisa/Harukaze are little step up in price but my experience is they are big step up in overall quality.

Last edited:
Masutani comes to mind, pretty good for price and looks good to average people, one of my top choices for a gift knife. Only thing is that he only do shorter knives, no 210mm gyuto.

Edit: Depends how you define budget Shinko Seilans are pretty good, too.

Harayuki also has some offerings at reasonable prices. I do like their SRS15, things come pretty consistent and good quality.

Fujimoto seems reasonable as well.

A couple of their lines have funny profiles or chunky choils, but it’s a good starting point for ~$150 USD.

Kaji-Bei - Great cutting feel and edge retention.

Sasaoka Hasami - Excellent fit and finish.

Fukushima - One of the best values right now with a 210mm gyuto and custom handle.

And there are a lot more.

Last edited:
Would Kajibei fit here? They are on the cheaper side and I've read good things about them. Around 1000 SEK / 100 EUR at Cleancut

Cannot really say to much about them by own experience yet. Yet. :)

Do any of you have experience with Meestersljipers own brand Kazoku?

I have noticed that many online stores are coming up with their own brands with knives they order from Japan and most of their prices are quite budget friendly.

Do any of you have experience with Meestersljipers own brand Kazoku?

I have noticed that many online stores are coming up with their own brands with knives they order from Japan and most of their prices are quite budget friendly.
As far as I understood the knives are made in China, with 'Japanese steel'.

Since you are based in EU a great value for money option is Goko Hamono from japaneseknives.eu at 99EUR for Santoku or Nakiri.
https://www.japaneseknives.eu/a-662...u-nashiji-universal-knife-165-mm/#description
Also available at Meesterslijpers with fancier wenge handles for 135EUR
https://www.meesterslijpers.nl/index.php?route=product/search&search=goko

I like the look of the Santoku, plus I still don't have a knife with Shirogami #1, and I'm starting to develop a taste for carbon steel blades with iron cladding.

Since I would be swapping the handle, I'd pick the €99 one. Let's see if it is available once I have a budget again. I have spent a lot on knives lately...

If you're still planning to make your own handle, do note that some stores also sell separate blades. One example.

https://www.japaneseknives.eu/c-2950902/blade-blanks-and-knife-steel/https://couteauxjapon.fr/19-lames-pretes-a-monter-et-manches-japonais-import-japon
Also, after receiving my Kajibei (Kaji-Bei) I got to recommend those knives too. I haven't yet put mine on the stones but out of box experience for me was good. The shirogami ones at Cleancut are below 1000 SEK / 100 EUR even with handle. :)

While not under 100 Euro, I would highly recommend you check out the Ashi Ginga line for great value. You will be hard pressed to find a more balanced, refined grind and heat treatment that Ashi's, and the knives are just excellent all around. For the value, they are very hard to beat.

Oh, I'm certainly considering one of those. People here really recommended me their petty :) .

Extremely good value: Pallarès Solsona carbons, C60 @60Rc, €45 for a 23cm chef's. Grinding is careful, sharpening poor. Needs a good sharpening and thinning. The 16cm is a very versatile knife for €21.
https://www.damplank.nl/nl/messen/
Another one: Böker Cottage Craft.
C75 @60Rc.
Don't expect all the handwork that's being suggested to be real. Grinding and sharpening are machine-made. Good steel and nice handles though. A good start as a project knife, or for someone who wants to learn to sharpen.

https://www.knivesandtools.nl/nl/ct/boker-cottage-craft.htmhttps://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/böker-cottage-craft-short-slicer.54035/

The Seilan line by Shiro Kamo comes to mind as a great value. My first nakiri was of this line, fantastic knife in AS, it was nice to try out a new form without breaking the bank, a lot of bang for the buck. It was also my first AS knife I think, the edge retention on it was shockingly good and made me a believer, I guess that has to do with grind and heat treat as well, but still...

Back