Carter's Honest Edge Ranch

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd kind of like a thread from Murray like the one Xerxes recently made on the prices for this.
I just feel that different makers position prices at whatever level their clientele are comfortable with. Cooks/collectors buying MC knives seem cool with the prices, or they wouldn’t be buying them. For me, MC (or any maker) shouldn’t need to justify pricing.

That said, yes it would make for a fascinating thread.

Last edited:
I just feel that different makers position prices at whatever level their clientele are comfortable with. Cooks/collectors buying MC knives seem cool with the prices, or they wouldn’t be buying them. For me, MC (or any maker) shouldn’t need to justify pricing.

That said, yes it would make for a fascinating thread.
Yeah I'm not criticizing the other thread, I think its fine to make a living wage and quite understandable to charge what's needed for a profit, but more would be curious to MC's superfluous descriptors. After all the man has forged over 20000 blades... (number is probably not current)

Yeah I'm not criticizing the other thread, I think its fine to make a living wage and quite understandable to charge what's needed for a profit, but more would be curious to MC's superfluous descriptors. After all the man has forged over 20000 blades... (number is probably not current)

Well, McDonald's has sold over 300 billion burgers and manages to keep prices down! I'm all for knife makers making a good living for their craft, be it MC or CM or TF or YT. Pretty much every job I've left was to climb the ladder going to a job that paid more money (except for my current job which is a labor of love)—I believe knife makers deserve a similar trajectory. Longer they make knives, the more experience they have, the more established their name becomes—then naturally, prices should go up.

Well, McDonald's has sold over 300 billion burgers and manages to keep prices down!
Because they use the cheapest ingredients they buy at huge scale. They're not concerned about the quality of the food, and it only has to last minutes (although, as we know, there's so much crap in them they'll actually last for years).

Because they use the cheapest ingredients they buy at huge scale. They're not concerned about the quality of the food, and it only has to last minutes (although, as we know, there's so much crap in them they'll actually last for years).
True dat. I would venture to guess—since I know little of knife making—that costs of materials make up only a fraction of the total cost of knives above a certain price point, say $400+? Most cost maybe attributable to time/labor of skilled craftsmen, marketing, whatever? This just conjecture, would really love to learn more about it.

Good time to pull the proverbial trigger, he's having a BIG sale.

Screen Shot 2020-10-07 at 11.59.58 AM.png

I disagree in part as this is not really food. I argue that it is a very slow kill poison that happens to have some macronutrients present.

I disagree in part as this is not really food. I argue that it is a very slow kill poison that happens to have some macronutrients present.

a lot of food you can buy at a supermarket is equally bad or worse... and people eat it a lot more often.

On average a customer visits a McD twice a month. That doesn’t kill you. Not even slowly. Going twice a month and eating crap food the other 28 days will kill ya....

a lot of food you can buy at a supermarket is equally bad or worse... and people eat it a lot more often.

On average a customer visits a McD twice a month. That doesn’t kill you. Not even slowly. Going twice a month and eating crap food the other 28 days will kill ya....
Of course, your statement is probably correct. I still view that stuff as disgusting poison. It really all comes down to human behavior. What is easy, tasty, quicker seems to fit the bill for a lot of people. Its sad, because a person can learn to prepare decent meals that are healthy without too much trouble.

Of course, your statement is probably correct. I still view that stuff as disgusting poison. It really all comes down to human behavior. What is easy, tasty, quicker seems to fit the bill for a lot of people. Its sad, because a person can learn to prepare decent meals that are healthy without too much trouble.

that’s true.... it’s human behavior. I hate when people blame the companies, blame yourself. If YOU don’t buy it, you’re good! If everyone acts like you, crap food isn’t offered.

People complain that McD & Co don’t offer healthier food.... guess what: if people would demand and BUY it, you’d see it tomorrow. People want to consume it. Just like people want to smoke, drink and do other sh** that’s not good for them.

It is not in McD's best interest to offer a ton of FF&V. They certainly can't do it at the same price point as frozen/preserved stuff. Fresh food costs more. It needs to be used quickly, so the supply chain considerations for a company that is serving millions of meals a day are immense. They serve what they serve because it is profitable. I'm a big believer in the idea that large businesses create demand by driving choices, the "market" has far less power than perceived.

Same, I was just using "food" in the generally recognised form. And they're the worst macronutrients as well - carbs and fat together.

People complain that McD & Co don’t offer healthier food.... guess what: if people would demand and BUY it, you’d see it tomorrow.
No you wouldn't. They'd redouble their efforts to keep their current high-margin products available. They're not giving people what they want, they're giving people what they've been trained to want.

Last edited:
They're not giving people what they want, they're giving people what they've been trained to want.

and it’s still your responsibility to feed yourself in a proper way. You’re not forced to go to McD or take drugs. It’s your choice. You can also make healthy meals at home and refrain from taking drugs.

you absolutely and 100% can influence this, by just not going! There’s a lot of other harmful stuff in your environment that you cannot control at all.

You CAN influence this. Don’t go! There are only two things that can happen if you don’t go: the menu will change or McD will go bankrupt. That’s it.

and it’s still your responsibility to feed yourself in a proper way. You’re not forced to go to McD or take drugs. It’s your choice. You can also make healthy meals at home and refrain from taking drugs.
And I don't do those things. I haven't eaten at McDonald's in well over a decade, and that was a thickshake. But I also recognise that I am privileged to be in a position to make those choices.

Way too many people live in food deserts where there are no good options for actual food, or they're working three jobs and literally don't have the time to make proper food. Or the facilities, if they live in crap accommodation. Or the knowledge, if they've been brought up in similar circumstances/surroundings.

It's a society/world-wide problem (although not as bad here as in other places) that extends WELL past the somewhat simplistic notion of personal responsibility.

And I don't do those things. I haven't eaten at McDonald's in well over a decade, and that was a thickshake. But I also recognise that I am privileged to be in a position to make those choices.

Way too many people live in food deserts where there are no good options for actual food, or they're working three jobs and literally don't have the time to make proper food. Or the facilities, if they live in crap accommodation. Or the knowledge, if they've been brought up in similar circumstances/surroundings.

It's a society/world-wide problem (although not as bad here as in other places) that extends WELL past the somewhat simplistic notion of personal responsibility.

You’re certainly right with a lot of what you state, but I ask you: should McDonalds & Co be responsible for providing nutritious food at affordable prices? Can these companies be blamed for the lack of affordable and healthy alternatives?

There are really only two ways: it’s an individual’s responsibility... or it’s the government’s. Either directly or indirectly through force (regulations) applied to private companies.

And while time is a very difficult component of this, I’m not sure choice is. A simplified example: if you go to a Wal Mart super Store (or a supermarket of your choice), you always have healthy choices. My local Walmart in the US had them all right at the entrance. First thing you saw: sweet potatoes, apples, melons, spinach etc.

when people bypass that and load up on chips and soda.... that’s choice.

i believe that lack of education is a major problem. It’s shocking how many people just don’t know how bad soda is ...

You’re certainly right with a lot of what you state, but I ask you: should McDonalds & Co be responsible for providing nutritious food at affordable prices? Can these companies be blamed for the lack of affordable and healthy alternatives?

There are really only two ways: it’s an individual’s responsibility... or it’s the government’s. Either directly or indirectly through force (regulations) applied to private companies.

And while time is a very difficult component of this, I’m not sure choice is. A simplified example: if you go to a Wal Mart super Store (or a supermarket of your choice), you always have healthy choices. My local Walmart in the US had them all right at the entrance. First thing you saw: sweet potatoes, apples, melons, spinach etc.

when people bypass that and load up on chips and soda.... that’s choice.

i believe that lack of education is a major problem. It’s shocking how many people just don’t know how bad soda is ...
The government could choose to subsidize heathy foods instead. Or just not subsidize foods that will be turned into sugar? Corn -> corn syrup.

The movie 'Food Inc' goes into how the corn subsidies make fast food a cheap source of calories for households where every dollar counts.

They compare dollar deal hamburgers to a head of broccoli for $1.39. The broccoli still needs to be taken home and prepared and provides fewer calories.

One of the reasons that obesity is so prevalent among the poorest people.

The movie 'Food Inc' goes into how the corn subsidies make fast food a cheap source of calories for households where every dollar counts.

They compare dollar deal hamburgers to a head of broccoli for $1.39. The broccoli still needs to be taken home and prepared and provides fewer calories.

One of the reasons that obesity is so prevalent among the poorest people.

i think it’s disgusting that a burger (meat after all!) can be cheaper (and still profitable) than a piece of veggies ...

Nutritionwise the burger isn’t even the evil, it’s the fries and the soda. If you replace fries. with a side salad and soda with water you’re suddenly looking at a completely different picture ...

i think it’s disgusting that a burger (meat after all!) can be cheaper (and still profitable) than a piece of veggies ...

Nutritionwise the burger isn’t even the evil, it’s the fries and the soda. If you replace fries. with a side salad and soda with water you’re suddenly looking at a completely different picture ...
Don't forget the bread/not-bread
https://www.npr.org/2020/10/01/9191...o-sweet-irish-court-says-its-bread-isnt-bread
Macca's buns are worse. Not sure how Ireland missed that...

Back