Daylight Saving Time Poll

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DST Sucks

• Yes!

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • I'm selecting the wrong answer.

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
I never understood the hate. What's wrong with long summer evenings? These days most clocks adjust automatically anyway.

I used to work days/nights on a 5-5-4 schedule, and at one point worked a 14/7 schedule that had us off Sunday night after 7 day shifts to be back in Monday night for 7 night shifts. I get that it's inconvenient etc etc, but it's relative. One hour twice a year to someone who's never done shift work may seem like a hurdle, whereas being well slept enough to feel an hour's difference is a luxury to many who work alternating shifts.

You know, as an adult it simply is what it is. Whether or not I sleep at all has no bearing on what needs to be done the next day, so that hour more/less just makes me slightly more/less tired.

Man does it ever screw with the childrens sleep though.

Standard time sucks, can't even run the dog after work without a flashlight.
As a flashlight enthusiast, I can't relate. Best part of the year to reset and build new copper patina.

_1020745.JPG

I used to work days/nights on a 5-5-4 schedule, and at one point worked a 14/7 schedule that had us off Sunday night after 7 day shifts to be back in Monday night for 7 night shifts. I get that it's inconvenient etc etc, but it's relative. One hour twice a year to someone who's never done shift work may seem like a hurdle, whereas being well slept enough to feel an hour's difference is a luxury to many who work alternating shifts.

Sorry buddy but I worked decades of shift work of all manner and I hated it even more then. :)

There was that crazy-ass bill in the Maine legislature maybe a decade ago to switch Maine to Atlantic Time so it would be in the same zone as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland.
Then we could be out of sink with everyone in the US, it was always hard keeping track of that, gaining an hour and only driving fifteen minutes.

There was that crazy-ass bill in the Maine legislature maybe a decade ago to switch Maine to Atlantic Time so it would be in the same zone as New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI, and Newfoundland.
Newfoundland has its own time zone. They're 30 minutes ahead.

adjusting clocks is not the issue, messing up the biorythm of many people is and it's proven.
The EU somehow managed to vote for stopping DST but that never went anywhere.
I remember reading a study that was relatively legit reporting significant increases in traffic accidents, domestic violence and workplace accidents in the weeks after daylight savings changes either way.

I believe it. You mess with some peoples’ sleep and it right screws them up.

i voted for "I'm selecting the wrong answer." lol

but i think the poll is misguided. the choices don't seem to reflect the issue of changing clocks...

DST: good!
ST: bad!
changing back and forth: very bad!!

i am firmly in favor of Sunshine Protection Act of 2021. i don't give a crap about health. i just want the sun to rise and set later. i like dark mornings and more sunlight at the end of the day.

also,

flashlights: very good!!

sc64le nichia 219a.jpg

pictured: zebralight sc64c le that i did an emitter swap on.
new LED: 519A R9080 sm353 3500K (dedomed)

best overall light i've ever had.

Last edited:
Nothing. That's why the fall/winter set back is stupid.

I've adjusted six clocks in the house this morning.

hrm. it sounds like you like DST then. lol
the poll option should have been "ST Sucks"

also, clockwise. obviously clockwise. spring forward (and leave it there).

Reactions: KOA
I've read the odd articles here and there that suggest that the savings are largely illusory. Depending on the actual timezone and latitude, the savings in electricity because the lights come on later can be wiped out by air conditioners running more than normal. And there is a cost to the twice-yearly change, too. Timetable and schedule changes cost money. Productivity is lost because, inevitably, some people miss the change-over and, if they don't, their biorhythm is disturbed for a while.

There is also disruption to trade. 100 km south of here, you enter NSW, which does have daylight saving time, and Queensland does not. The border area between New South Wales and Queensland is densely populated, with a lot of commerce and tourism going on. Having a major population centre (Tweed Heads) getting split by DST is awkward, to say the least. It reduces business hours overlap by an hour each day on each side of the border.

There are also places where you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. Here in Queensland, we have a very large north-to-south distance as well as a very large east-to-west distance. Meaning that some people (not in the most populated part of the state) do indeed suffer due to DST. With DST, it is still stupidly hot in those places by the time people eat dinner. (Queensland tried DST for two or three years in the eighties, and then got rid of it again. No DST in Queensland since.)

Personally, I liked DST while it lasted. In mid summer, it is (bright) daylight by 5 am, and dark by 6 pm. I enjoyed having daylight 6 am to 7 pm instead. But people in more remote areas of the state do not.

But the endless back and forth twice a year doesn't make sense to me. Better to pick a time and stick with it all year round. Which, for Queensland, really means no DST. Otherwise, a whole lot of folks up north and out west get shafted.

Willing to bet most people arguing a side here fall into either the, "night owl" or "early bird", mindset.....one things for sure... Farmers aren't voting and don't give damn. Why would you when you work from sun to sun!

Back