Indestructible Carbon Petty Request

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

USA

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
150mm Petty (set on it, don't try to change my mind)

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
I'm fine with either

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
150 mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
I require carbon - preferably white 2, but anything with decent sharpenability.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
Not more than $400, but I'd like to stay on the cheaper side of things.

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
PRO

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

My petty is my daily driver and beater for Japanese style cooking. I'm teaching a bunch of chefs and jump between a dozen tasks a minute. One minute I'm fileting aji, the next I'm breaking down a chicken. A second later I'm peeling something on the fly, and the next second I'm taking silver skin from a loin. All the time I'm showing young guns that you can do katsuramuki with good technique and that the knife shape itself, while helpful, is no substitute for practice (which is to say that I also katsuramuki daikon with this knife).

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
Heiji, TF, Shiro Kunimitsu, Mizuno Tanrenjo, Takamura VG10, Togiharu Molybdenum, generic nihonkou (sk whatever)

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Depends on the job I'm doing.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Really depends on the job I'm doing.

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
For the love of god, stop chipping.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
The more vanilla the better.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
Don't care.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Don't care.

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
Really don't care.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
It's a pro environment. You all would cry if you saw what I was cutting on.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
Every day

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
lol - I can sharpen.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
extra lol.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I need a knife that can run through the fires of hell and laugh at me while I whip a bunch of a*&holes in to shape. It's gotta be tough and be able to handle a bunch of abuse. It's also got to be able to take a classic carbon steel edge. The softer, tougher stainless (like the molybdenum and inox, etc) were tough enough, but not keen enough for the jobs I do. Meanwhile the ones that are sharp enough chip way too easily. I get the feeling like I'm asking for the impossible, but I thought I'd post this anyways in case anybody has some good options. Adding a microbevel helps, but still not quite enough. Is there a petty out there that I don't know of that will satisfy me? Summoning the other pro's I see on the forum who aren't afraid to use their knives @panda and @stringer for their words of wisdom.

What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chefs knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
150mm Petty (set on it, don't try to change my mind)

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
Speechless. I look forward to hearing what people recommend that can do this.

Speechless. I look forward to hearing what people recommend that can do this.
I already use my 150 petty for all these tasks. 😉
Perfect size for what I need (it's not like I'm breaking down a salmon with it or anything). I can do all the jobs just fine, the issue is that tough knives don't get sharp enough and sharp knives aren't tough enough. Looking for my goldilocks.

Vintage sabatier carbon?
150mm pettys are so versatile I agree. I use 3 different ones for work. Used to own a shihan carbon petty and it was truly wonderful and tough comparatively but I cannot endorse using it to go through poultry bones lol, maybe it would work I dunno. It is tough easy sharpen and gets pretty sharp all at the same time.

Big +1 on shihan 52100 does not chip easily and can really handle abuse well. Holds a 2-3k edge unbelievably well. other than that maybe go for a vintage masakane sk steel petty?

Hm when I was in a pro kitchen my beater in that realm was a zakuri sabaki 150. I deboned a ton of saba, chickens, lamb leg, and whatever else, portioned meats for yakitori, used it as a line knife, prepped mise on a tiny sandwich board station with it, etc. It was reactive, chunky, and took an absolute beating. You might try one and if you don’t like it you’re honestly not out a ton of money.

Hm when I was in a pro kitchen my beater in that realm was a zakuri sabaki 150. I deboned a ton of saba, chickens, lamb leg, and whatever else, portioned meats for yakitori, used it as a line knife, prepped mise on a tiny sandwich board station with it, etc. It was reactive, chunky, and took an absolute beating. You might try one and if you don’t like it you’re honestly not out a ton of money.
Didn’t realize you used carbon once 😝 I took you for a stainless savant

Didn’t realize you used carbon once 😝 I took you for a stainless savant
Loll, I started amassing an all stainless kit for a boat job I never took with some carbons sprinkled in. Then I made an all carbon kit, then a stainless clad carbon kit, then a monosteel kit, and it got worse from there… now I just have too many knives.

Interesting thread. I've always wondered why a Nakagawa (Jiro) petty costs the same as a gyuto and whether it would live up to the hype. But cost/availability might be challenging...

Otoh, there's this ss clad ao Toyama at JNS (currently 15% off) with similar dimensions to my Hinoura petty (ss clad shirogami) almost to the dot which might be of interest.

Good luck mate.

I don’t think it’s as popular in Western kitchens, but Sugimoto CM stainless is pretty tough and gets sharper than the standard INOX, moly steels, VG-10, etc and has better edge retention. Not quite, but close to carbon keenness. It’s also easy to sharpen and thin which seems like a plus here since it’s going to be abused quite a bit so it will be seeing the stones pretty often. Plus, it’s set up with a super asymmetric grind so should be good for breaking down small fish, chickens, silverskin and katsuramuki. Here’s a pretty cheap one, even with shipping.

https://www.goodsjapan.com/sugimoto...tchen-knife-for-cooking-15cm-red-wood/a-19473
Otherwise, Shihan 52100 is pretty synonymous with indestructible. His A2 is also an option if you want a little more edge retention.

I would be careful about the budget. Pettys have a small contact area with the board, get some light abuse like packages, are relatively expensive as the raw materials are only a fraction of the costs, especially with carbon steel. They get sharpened very often and have a short life span. For me, the handle is a serious problem as most of them a far too thin, and it is the only knife where I do care about it.

++ on the Zakuri Sabaki. Crazy tough, heavy spine, plus taller than a standard 150 petty, and it's relatively cheap. you can open paint cans with it.
tempImagehjLXaX.png

Haven’t tried paint cans but breaking down cardboard boxes, cutting on prep tables, and popping oysters with it when getting crushed on the line when my oyster knife went missing have all happened.
++ on the Zakuri Sabaki. Crazy tough, heavy spine, plus taller than a standard 150 petty, and it's relatively cheap. you can open paint cans with it. View attachment 199787

So I cycled back through my existing petting and ranked them just for my own informational purposes, but I thought I’d share it:
1) miz
2) tf
3) takamura
4) heiji
5) shiro kunimitsu
6) Everything else.

In the running for my next purchase are shihan, Masamoto, zakuri, and ashi W2 (rec through pm). Tbh, hsc and shihan are kind of at the back bc it looks like I’d have to custom order and I don’t want to wait. Masamoto, zakuri, and Ashi are all really different, so still weighing my options.

I’ll update when I decide as well as what my thoughts are. Thanks for all the input!

I have a zakuri and ashi petty and I prefer the ashi petty, haha. The zakuri is good though. The zakuri is thicker and wide bevel but the ashi is better through food and more dependable to me

When I see indestructible, I automatically think Mazaki. It would take a lot abuse to break knives with his taper. He even specialize in white 2 so you can sharpen all day.

Back