Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes a River jump so valuable and sought after? I’m not denying it, I’m just uneducated.

My (admittedly rather uneducated) guess would be that it's a combination of scarcity, difficulty of techniques used to forge, and the fact that the product is coming from an older master smith at the tail end of his career.

I'm not sure actually. Last couple of years were a bit weird due to COVID; lots of people suddenly sitting at home with no real way to spend money but to buy stuff... result was unprecedented demand. But now that people are going out and about again, and with inflation / recession issues I think demand will be significantly lower than preceding years. Of course that won't make a dent for makers that are in high demand, but I think it will create more of a 'buyers market'.

I'm not sure actually. Last couple of years were a bit weird due to COVID; lots of people suddenly sitting at home with no real way to spend money but to buy stuff... result was unprecedented demand. But now that people are going out and about again, and with inflation / recession issues I think demand will be significantly lower than preceding years. Of course that won't make a dent for makers that are in high demand, but I think it will create more of a 'buyers market'.

Agree with this. Huge layoffs in the tech industry plus stocks in the toilet plus slowing real estate market plus inflation should have people slowing spending. My own company is in the midst of a significant layoff. Even if not affected, I’ll probably be cancelling a custom I’ve been waiting on for months and scaling back my purchases generally.

Even locally here on the forum I’ve noticed BST sales slowed down in 2022. I’m guessing generalized anxiety has been slowly growing for a while.

Did someone say $1000 Jiros?

77FBDC12-9C1F-4BFB-821E-B182F00CF656.png
9EB21A93-5D94-4BAA-B665-6B51B8932DC8.png
8065DFEF-CB00-4B88-AA71-7F959EB5D93A.png

Anyone here scored one of the Dalman 185 petties? @Gregmega @Mikeadunne

I saw it too late but they look goooood
haha I normally don't pay much attention to his work (it looks lovely just doesn't seem like my cup of tea) but you better believe I did a triple take when I so those long petties 😉. I'd be interested to hear from someone who picked one up.

Jiro was underpriced to begin with, now his rep is up he can sell at a more true market value and it’s still a bargain to be honest.

High level stone work is incredibly difficult and time consuming. If the bevel is perfected that alone should double the price of the knife.

The handles need a lot of improvement for the price IMO, the handle quality is great but the style and types of wood used isn’t

Also, consider that we don’t purchase direct, vendors are doubling the original price of knives or more.

That’s why it’s best to just buy direct anytime you can.

Last edited:
As someone whose been looking to try Jiro my expectation is that this price increase won’t make it any easier to find one. If anything it’ll just add to hype and mysticism. So few are being made that there’s enough demand for them to sell out instantly even in recession. They’ll still be hard to get which will only make people want them more.

IMO Jiro is more akin to independent western makers than most knives that come out of Japan. It makes sense that his knives should be at a similar price point as those high demand western makers like Shi.Han, Kamon, Nine, Xerxes, Yanick, Catcheside, etc. I'm glad to own one at the lower price point, but I'd still buy one if it had cost 30% more.

IMO Jiro is more akin to independent western makers than most knives that come out of Japan. It makes sense that his knives should be at a similar price point as those high demand western makers like Shi.Han, Kamon, Nine, Xerxes, Yanick, Catcheside, etc. I'm glad to own one at the lower price point, but I'd still buy one if it had cost 30% more.
I was gonna type the same thing but got too lazy. I wouldn't personally buy one (because of my personal preferences), but I think it's worthy of the price bracket. A little bit of the price increase is eaten by the exchange rate, but if the exchange rate reverts back I do think it is a bit pricy.

You still have to buy from him via a third party tho, or fourth party since Hirohira don’t sell to individuals directly.

He plans on doing more random drawings in the future for those who missed out. Those deep etch finishes of his are pretty awesome. (talking about Milan Gravier for context)
Yeah, aiming for at least one a month via random draw, which is pretty cool!

I got it. Was definitely surprised. Thrilled actually it’s just about my ideal specs in a knife. I’ll be sure to post some photos when it finds its way here.
Awesome man, that’s great! Great specs, and gorgeous knife too! Look forward to more pics

I got it. Was definitely surprised. Thrilled actually it’s just about my ideal specs in a knife. I’ll be sure to post some photos when it finds its way here.

Congratulations! It’s an incredible knife. I liked it so much when I was picking up my deep etch I almost tried to get him to let me buy this one too before he listed it. The taper and balance is fantastic. The etch and polish is even nicer in person. Enjoy it!

Back