Knife findings

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been out of the loop for a little while. What's the go-to for a R2/stainless 240mm Gyuto these days?

Was interested in Hashimoto but James at K&S tells me they are well and truly sold out. Don't know much about Nigara Anmon but seen the prices have increased gradually over the years.

Looking for something as a daily slicer. The Syousin Sakura Ginsan I have is a great knife but thick/heavy.

And what's the deal with Ironwood being so expensive.

Some of his newer ironclad knives have very nice banding in the cladding. Its usually a little hard to see under the stock sandblasted finish, but if you can polish, you can bring it out and make it pop. A lot cheaper than damascus.
Don’t forget needing to work through the hollow bevels lol - but yeah, the white 2 iron prelam the hinouras have been using for the last few years have been really nice for polishing

noob question, whats the problem with hollow bevels?
Functionally? Not much. You can get a thinner edge for a given stock thickness certainly. If you have a fetish for rubbing metal on rocks to make it shiny? A lot because it makes it not possible.

While it prolongs the need for thinning, I also think very long term it makes it harder for the user to maintain the grind evenly.

I think you are discounting the number of stone junkies here that will take any excuse to put steel on stones to sniff that Jnat powder....
Oh, that was addressed in the first portion of the message I replied to and that I excluded.
Functionally? Not much. You can get a thinner edge for a given stock thickness certainly. If you have a fetish for rubbing metal on rocks to make it shiny? A lot because it makes it not possible.
I have no way to prove it, but I would argue that most of the knives around here lose steel due to excessive sharpening, thinning, polishing, flattening that is unrelated to the actual use of knives for cutting.

I have no way to prove it, but I would argue that most of the knives around here lose steel due to excessive sharpening, thinning, polishing, flattening that is unrelated to the actual use of knives for cutting.
Definitely do in my case. I’ve gotten better about protecting against height loss but still, on the other hand I get a lot of enjoyment and utility from polishing - at least as much as from cutting. So I’m not gonna loose any sleep over it

Definitely do in my case. I’ve gotten better about protecting against height loss but still, on the other hand I get a lot of enjoyment and utility from polishing - at least as much as from cutting. So I’m not gonna loose any sleep over it
Yeah, absolutely no issue with this, it can only become a problem when we comment to newer people on imperfections in knives that don't detract from their performance as knives. Hollow grinds for example can be some of the best performing grinds for cutting, but not so much for polishing. Or many complaints about low/high spots that only matter if you polish the blade. In any case this is a multi faceted hobby, so everyone should enjoy it however they like.

I can’t read anywhere, that hollow grinds are talked down by there performance.
As one who enjoy polishing (some times I hate it) hollow grinds are pretty annoying, but pushes you to do better with stones.
But it’s two different discussion really.

Back