Let's take a poll on knife shapes!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What are your favorite knife shapes to use? Choose up to three.

• Gyuto

• Santoku / Bunka

• Nakiri

• Petty / Paring

• Sujihiki / Yanigiba

• Cleaver

• Deba

• Usuba

• Kiritsuke

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Alpine.knifeworks

Wood luvr
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
You can state your favorite to use, or most frequently used. Choose up to three.

Is there an official definition of santoku and gyuto? Haha.
My two favourite knives are sort of in between!
I'd guess length and edge profile? Flatter edge on Santoku, and a sheepsfoot spine shape

I'd guess length and edge profile? Flatter edge on Santoku, and a sheepsfoot spine shape
Thanks for your opinion and serious answer.
I think similar but actually my question was making fun out of the definitions that everbody understands and uses differently.
You know french chef knives, thick western knives etc are all called gyuto too as it seems although they don't fit the (kinda loose) definiton.
Oh and being at it : a kiritsuke is a single bevel knife but i guess most people know that.

Anyways, lets not spoil the fun and vote!

Thanks for your opinion and serious answer.
I think similar but actually my question was making fun out of the definitions that everbody understands and uses differently.
You know french chef knives, thick western knives etc are all called gyuto too as it seems although they don't fit the (kinda loose) definiton.
Oh and being at it : a kiritsuke is a single bevel knife but i guess most people know that.

Anyways, lets not spoil the fun and vote!
Ahhh got you haha! I should have assumed anyone on this forum wouldn't be learning the basic shapes here. (Except I am, apparently, because I always thought of a Kiritsuke as a blend between a suji and a gyuto, didn't realize they were single bevel actually!) I wish we had more than 10 poll answers so I could have separated these better

1684269979511.png

You really only need 3 poll options;

Gyuto
Gyuto
Gyuto

There is a tiny, fringe and very aggressive/opinionated group of square lovers and then there is @daveb with unnatural affinity to sujis, but other than that the above 3 choices cover everyone else.
I mean when you add nakiri and cleaver it’s the second highest group, wouldn’t call that fringe. That group would probably be the santoku users.

it was easy for me to pick 3 different ones but when I go home all my knife racks are covered in gyuto's!!!

To use? I suppose it’s a gyuto. To admire and dream of having in my perfect knife? Santoku and it’s giant versions. I don’t consider bunkas at all similar though. Santokus are all graceful curves at the tip, bunkas are harsh edges like your tip snapped

I mean when you add nakiri and cleaver it’s the second highest group, wouldn’t call that fringe. That group would probably be the santoku users.
You see if we wanted to get philosophical about it then one could make an argument that suji is just a not so tall gyuto. Petty is really just a short suji therefore also a gyuto. Santoku is just a girl's gyuto. I could even say that yanagi is just a single bevel suji, but that would upset too many people.

Bah. I could be quite content with a santoku or nakiri, a suji and of course, a honesuki. My veggie to meat cut ratio must be like 4:1 or so and I'm a push cutter (like so many others here) so flat profiles work just fine for me.

I also don't suffer from big knife envy.

Isn't it interesting how adamant the gyuto, especially the big gyuto crowd, always is? Bellow about your chosen, shaky-at-best-argument tool and try to bolster your compensation choice by belittling those with other opinions if you must but you only out yourself.

We're just fine with our knifesculinity.

;)

You see if we wanted to get philosophical about it then one could make an argument that suji is just a not so tall gyuto. Petty is really just a short suji therefore also a gyuto. Santoku is just a girl's gyuto. I could even say that yanagi is just a single bevel suji, but that would upset too many people.
Just because you identify a petty etc. as a gyuto doesn’t make it a gyuto. We all know a gyuto when we see one… usually.

Just because you identify a petty etc. as a gyuto doesn’t make it a gyuto. We all know a gyuto when we see one… usually.
Usually. If nakiri is a cleaver then petty is a short gyuto sometimes. Munitoshi 165 petty for example.

In general, I don't care I like them all and I am glad some people still have a sense of humor. I am clearly not serious about any of it. I like pocket knives and axes and swords and many other types. Knives are just really, really interesting for being such simple tools with so much nuance.

No need to be defensive, I am joking. Of course my kids don't think I am funny either, so there is that.

For example, @daveb is one of my favorite people here and suji one of the most favorite knives. Here I am not kidding

Back