Of all the chef's knives you own, which do you reach for first?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I try to keep my main drawer lineup rotating enough to avoid having an obvious go-to. But my Kono MM blue 2 230 and Kippington WP AEB-L 245 are always in there and get a lot of board time. For smaller jobs my SpĂĄre 185 bunka has been a favorite lately.

PXL_20230508_140229646.jpg

Last edited:
You have sharp knives? Wow, that’s great, one of these days maybe you’ll explain to us how you get them sharp!
I buy a new one that fairly sharp and put the not so sharp back in the box.

Well at the moment it's strangely enough My Denka but last week it was The Sukenari ZDP and before that it was...

Last edited:
Not because it's my best performer, but I reach for my Tadafusa blue 2 nashiji 210mm gyuto most. I don't have a big collection (yet) so this is relative, but it's a solid all-rounder, and for the price I'm not worried about being gentle with it. It's the same weight as my Mazaki 210mm (170g), nearly the same balance point, but it somehow feels heavier. The edge isn't as thin as Mazaki and doesn't cut as well, but it's good enough for me and has a sturdy feel to it that can handle my mediocre knife skills.

About a year and a half ago, I retired my old block of Shun knives from 2008, gave them to a friend, and went on a quest to assemble a set of Japanese chefs knives to last me to the grave. Unlike the Shuns, which I mindlessly bought as a huge set (many of which I never touched), the new knives would each be chosen intentially, with a specific purpose in mind.

I've now got a collection that I love, that work beautifully, feel phenomenal to use, and put a smile on my face every time I use them. What I've been surprised by though is that the knife that I impulsively reach for first isn't the one that I thought I would. I'm typically not grabbing a 270mm or 240mm Gyuto, but instead it's a Bunka that I just seem to have the most fun with. Specifically, a 180mm Hado Sakai Sumi Bunka made from Shirogami No.2.

Question: Of the knives that you own, do you tend to reach first for your "best knife" first, or the one that's the most fun to use? What knife is it for you? Why?

View attachment 236694
180mm Hado Sakai Sumi Bunka made from Shirogami No.2

View attachment 236697
13 of the 18 knives that will take me to the grave.

FC00CC24-D52A-41C3-8113-A75EE82861CA.jpeg

Gotta be this thing. Tall bunka by togashi. it never comes out during prep, but gets used daily. The food scooping capabilities and utility are exceptional.

Most used is red handled Takamura 210, not a finer one and done gyuto ever made. After that 1 of 3 Yoshikane 240s.

Clever strategy that I may have to adopt! Use knife 'til it is not sharp; get new knife; repeat.
You mean this is not what you do??? This is an official KKF policy, it is in the rules somewhere. Make sure mods don't realize you have been breaking this major rule. Why do you think people have 50+ 240 gyutos....

Didn't know Matsubara did 180s but this looks pretty sweet.
Yes it is - the looks, proportions and cutting feel are great. I got it the first week in January and touched it up (6K) one week later. I've been using it in rotation, but vigorously, ever since with only stropping. It came with a slightly asymmetrical bevel, and I'm leaving it that way. Pics attached if you care to see.

R.jpeg L.jpeg

Last edited:
Takamura Chromax gyuto.

Has been my home daily driver lately. Due to my lack of time, it takes abuse and less maintenance.

Attachments

• 3AC33D21-A616-4B11-85C4-6D8DE7EF0E15.jpeg
    3AC33D21-A616-4B11-85C4-6D8DE7EF0E15.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Yes it is - the looks, proportions and cutting feel are great. I got it the first week in January and touched it up (6K) one week later. I've been using it in rotation, but vigorously, ever since with only stropping. It came with a slightly asymmetrical bevel, and I'm leaving it that way. Pics attached if you care to see.

View attachment 242735 View attachment 242736
great profile! reminds me of Carter’s funayuki profile.

reminds me of Carter’s funayuki profile.
Actually this looks more like Carters wabocho (~santoku tip) if any of his.
His profiles are much flatter than that unless custom ordered.
Funayuki has a more pointy tip. Very useful shape. Like a really flat gyuto with a thin tip.

Needless to say that Carter is the one I grab first. (~20cm wabocho) Was my only knife for a good 10y after i regrettably sold all others i had.

Maaan...ya'll making me kick myself for not jumping on the Konosuke MM when they showed up in Knife Findings threads a few month ago. I was brooding over buying it for like an hour. Back than, $500 for a knife was alot for me to justify. Nowadays, it's nothing lol

Ever since getting my hands on this Takeda NAS 210 gyuto, it's been hard to reach for anything else. This thing keeps an wicked edge and feels perfectly light and balanced in my hand. I've even been tempted to just replace all my other knives with more Takedas, but that won't happen... I think...

Attachments

• IMG_7217.jpg
    IMG_7217.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
we need pics! love a well used knife
Sorry for the late response and my conclusions about Carters knife terms because, as it seems, I don´t quite follow his nomenclature.
My old Carter was called wabocho I´m sure but that just means traditional japanese knife with wa handle (or so).
Funayuki is supposed to be like a santoku (flat-ish) but with a more pronounced higher off the board tip. (as I understand it)
Here is a picture of a typical Carter funayuki (top knife; a brilliant petty BTW):
Carter funayuki

Just a few months ago I bought a used Muteki from Harbeer and looked at Carters website only to see it is called funayuki as well although it looks very santoku-like and very different to most of his "funayukis"
my Carter funayuki

Anyways, TLDR, here are some pics of both.
The old one obviously wasn´t "taped" while thinning and still has a many months old chip in the blade where a banged it into a aluminium pan..
Both knives are great performers. Both ~20cm the Muteki quite wide at the heel with 57mm, the old one 48mm.
The latter still has the original plastic ferrule Carter used to use back then!

Attachments

• Carter-wabocho.jpg
    Carter-wabocho.jpg
    785.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Carter-wabocho-2.jpg
    Carter-wabocho-2.jpg
    542.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Muteki funayuki.jpg
    Muteki funayuki.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 0
Back