Show your newest gear!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suck at choil shots. What are you looking for? I can try after work tomorrow.
Curious if it's convex or a hollow etc. Basically seeing if it's a mini of mine or looks noticeably different style. I know different steels/line could affect but we're here to be nerds. I've started labeling all the choil shots in my phone album because I was mixed up trying to figure out what was what sometimes.

20231209_190138.jpg

Last edited:
Curious if it's convex or a hollow etc. Basically seeing if it's a mini of mine or looks noticeably different style. I know different steels/line could affect but we're here to be nerd. I've started labeling all the choil shots in my phone album because I was mixed up trying to figure out what was what sometimes.

View attachment 291048

Mine has concave bevels.

Get any kind of a spring clamp, it’ll make your life much easier
View attachment 291055View attachment 291056

Very cool!
Getting good (and consistent) choil shots are such a pain in the a**. Unfortunately the spring clamp is visible in your photo, but I'll check if its possible to place the clamp that it won't be visible.

I thought about 3D printing a small clamp or a stand, but I haven't had the time to try it out yet.

Very cool!
Getting good (and consistent) choil shots are such a pain in the a**. Unfortunately the spring clamp is visible in your photo, but I'll check if its possible to place the clamp that it won't be visible.

I thought about 3D printing a small clamp or a stand, but I haven't had the time to try it out yet.

Very cool!

If you get a heavier duty spring clamp it’s easy to hide it. I keep these in the kitchen and use them to close bags, so it was handy

Also, crop the photo like crazy

You’ll be kicking yourself for not having done that years ago…
sure, but probably not more than I already kicked myself for not ordering it yet ;-)

it's probably just procrastination disguised as trying to not overspend :)

Looks very similar to mine. That’s a Craft Wok I bought on Amazon. It will outlive me.

It is the same! I saw another post of yours that you had purchased one, so I added it to my Amazon wish list. You are now an Influencer!

It is an awesome wok, by the way. I have owned several others, and this one is very well-made.

A 4qt la chamba soup pot is the most used clay pot in my kitchen, I use it for everything from beans to bolognese. There’s something special about cooking in these unglazed clay pots that I find really fulfilling, perhaps even soulful.

Anyway, I thought having a smaller version would be useful for smaller batches of beans and lentils and I’ll see what else. The new one is 2 1/2 quarts. Kinda like having a 240 and a santoku
IMG_5076.jpeg
IMG_5074.jpeg

Last edited:
Since it's January 7th and Christmas is officially over, I thought I'd post my full Christmas haul. Some were gifts purchased for me (off a list that people asked me to create) and others were gifts I purchased for myself from that same list with cash I was given. So without further ado, here it is:

The starter set of Chef's Presses, the Everyday set of Anyday microwave cookware/bowls, the Zyliss/Olive Garden parm shredder, a Victoria tortilla press, a Takamura 150mm petty, tongs and a ladle from Rosle, and a Chopula from Dreamfarm.

9A89E79E-E754-4AB6-89B6-2E4AAAAF0A4A.jpeg

The 1.4oz Rosle ladle rounds out my ladle collection. For now. Happy to finally try these tongs out.

9B80D428-2082-47B6-A908-70F938570E48.jpeg

And also that nesting set of 2qt stainless strainer bowls I mentioned upthread.

9068C9CC-C77F-43DB-A022-EFAE6F838489.jpeg

So without further ado, here it is:
That’s quite a haul! All useful and high-quality things, too, congratulations!

I’d like to know how well the rotary grater works. I had one in the past that didn’t work well, but that was a cheap and nasty one.

Last edited:
I’d like to know how well the rotary grater works. I had one in the past that didn’t work well, but that was cheap and nasty one.

We just used the grater last night and it worked great -- nice on-demand grated parm for pasta and salad. It's also easy to disassemble and clean. The Zyliss model is the one recommended by Cook's Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen and it's also the same one that all the waiters use at The Olive Garden here in the USA. The texture of the cheese is much nicer than what you get from a Microplane (though that's nice sometimes too).

Since it's January 7th and Christmas is officially over, I thought I'd post my full Christmas haul. Some were gifts purchased for me (off a list that people asked me to create) and others were gifts I purchased for myself from that same list with cash I was given. So without further ado, here it is:

The starter set of Chef's Presses, the Everyday set of Anyday microwave cookware/bowls, the Zyliss/Olive Garden parm shredder, a Victoria tortilla press, a Takamura 150mm petty, tongs and a ladle from Rosle, and a Chopula from Dreamfarm.

View attachment 292002

The 1.4oz Rosle ladle rounds out my ladle collection. For now. Happy to finally try these tongs out.

View attachment 292003

And also that nesting set of 2qt stainless strainer bowls I mentioned upthread.

View attachment 292004
I have one of those rosle ladles. Never occurred to me I could collect a set!

We just used the grater last night and it worked great -- nice on-demand grated parm for pasta and salad. It's also easy to disassemble and clean. The Zyliss model is the one recommended by Cook's Illustrated / America's Test Kitchen and it's also the same one that all the waiters use at The Olive Garden here in the USA. The texture of the cheese is much nicer than what you get from a Microplane (though that's nice sometimes too).
I got one of those for Christmas. I’ve used a monoplane for years. The texture of the grated cheese is way different. I’m so used to the fluffy texture of the microplane, it’s going to take some time to get acquainted with the rotary style.

That said, if I need a ton of grated Parmesan, like for a Parmesan béchamel or polenta, I just break it up and give it a few spins in the Vitamix

I had one of these original Zyliss choppers for more than 30 years. It finally broke.

chopper.jpg

Not that it had seen much use in the last 20 or so of those years, except for the one thing it is really good at: chopping nuts. You can chop nuts in one of these with a lot of control, from coarse to almost flour-like consistency, and without bits of nuts flying everywhere.

That was enough of a reason for me to replace it with a current version:

IMG_6314.jpg

There are several models of the Zyliss chopper around. This one (like the original one) folds open into two halves for cleaning, which is preferable to the other models, which make cleaning more difficult.

I had one of these original Zyliss choppers for more than 30 years. It finally broke.

View attachment 292896

Not that it had seen much use in the last 20 or so of those years, except for the one thing it is really good at: chopping nuts. You can chop nuts in one of these with a lot of control, from coarse to almost flour-like consistency, and without bits of nuts flying everywhere.

That was enough of a reason for me to replace it with a current version:

View attachment 292897

There are several models of the Zyliss chopper around. This one (like the original one) folds open into two halves for cleaning, which is preferable to the other models, which make cleaning more difficult.
Just....couldn't.....resist......

A 4qt la chamba soup pot is the most used clay pot in my kitchen, I use it for everything from beans to bolognese. There’s something special about cooking in these unglazed clay pots that I find really fulfilling, perhaps even soulful.

Anyway, I thought having a smaller version would be useful for smaller batches of beans and lentils and I’ll see what else. The new one is 2 1/2 quarts. Kinda like having a 240 and a santoku
View attachment 291819View attachment 291820
I like clay pots, tho mine are mostly Chinese or Japanese, I like glazed more, since unglazed sometimes can transfer bit of tastes from last dish
IMG_1980.jpeg

I bought a de buyer steel plancha.

Not bad, a nice substitute for teppanyaki-like preps.

But it is a bit bent, and tends to rotate on the induction... Any silicon pads or footrests that i can stick to it? Available in eu possibly

Attachments

• PXL_20240119_184034375.jpg
    PXL_20240119_184034375.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
That's actually why I didn't buy it; too many reviews saying that exact same thing.

Back