Steaks...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm splurging, it's Porterhouse every time, even though you have to do tricks to get the parts to come out the same doneness.

The New York strip part has the best flavor of anything. I prefer it over ribeye. Some experts say that ribeye should really be cooked medium, which just goes to show that there's something not quite right about ribeye. OK, I love ribeye, just couldn't resist the dig.

Meat is always best on the bone

Alternating super-flavorful chewy with soft tenderloin is just pure fun

And the bones used to be dirt cheap. But now that "Bone broth" is a thing, not anymore 😭
Tell me about it. I bought some chicken carcasses from the butcher today to make stock, they were 2.49 a lb. On the way home I was thinking about it, I realized that a whole chicken, including the meat for crying out loud is 1.99 a lb at Trader Joe’s.

Sheesh

Tell me about it. I bought some chicken carcasses from the butcher today to make stock, they were 2.49 a lb. On the way home I was thinking about it, I realized that a whole chicken, including the meat for crying out loud is 1.99 a lb at Trader Joe’s.

Sheesh
An Asian market I go to has what are basically played-out laying hens, dirt cheap. They make awesome stock, presumably due to their age. I don't know why this wonderful stock resource isn't more available. I think they must give up and use them to make dog food.

An Asian market I go to has what are basically played-out laying hens, dirt cheap. They make awesome stock, presumably due to their age.
Same thing in Germany. Known as a "Suppenhuhn" (soup chicken) there. Too old to eat for the meat, but fantastic for making good stock.

That looks nice, but there's no such thing as A5 American wagyu. Japanese A5 wagyu ribeye looks like this:

View attachment 301247

Frankly, I'd rather eat your steaks than A5 almost any day of the week. You can't eat A5 like it's a normal steak or you'll kill yourself.
Regardless of killing yourself, you wouldn't want to. It's too rich. That picture isn't even on the high-fat side for A5. **** sometimes looks like it has a layer of frost on it. It's fine for certain applications and fun to try, but agreed that the steaks posted above look excellent (and would have cost a fraction of the price).

boneless-prime-rib-or-a5-miyazakigyu-japanese-wagyu-meat-n-bone.jpg

uae1a210k6r81.jpg

I’m a huge NY Strip & flat iron guy, I prefer them to ribeyes even. I’ve never LOVED a ribeye, partly I think because I just can’t get beyond the fat texture when it isn’t rendered down properly.

My wife only eats fillets which are fine but not worth the $/pound. I do want to try a picanha but I’ve never even seen it local & wouldn't really know how to cook it properly with what I have

An Asian market I go to has what are basically played-out laying hens, dirt cheap. They make awesome stock, presumably due to their age. I don't know why this wonderful stock resource isn't more available. I think they must give up and use them to make dog food.
I think they are mostly used up in the industry to make proper soup, stock, etc.
Same thing in Germany. Known as a "Suppenhuhn" (soup chicken) there. Too old to eat for the meat, but fantastic for making good stock.
You'd be surprised. The legs and wings make for quite a nice confit. Still trying to figure out the best way to use the breasts but if nothing else you van turn it into something quite like rillettes.

Funny enough, Fresh Market had A5 American wagyu ribeyes in stock today so we took a flyer. Never had it before

View attachment 301239

This was quite good, but not worth it IMO. I'd rather a picanha or less fatty ribeye. Needs to be cooked a little longer than my norm to render out the fat properly but very tender and buttery. Definitely vote grill over pan.

I’m a huge NY Strip & flat iron guy, I prefer them to ribeyes even. I’ve never LOVED a ribeye, partly I think because I just can’t get beyond the fat texture when it isn’t rendered down properly.

My wife only eats fillets which are fine but not worth the $/pound. I do want to try a picanha but I’ve never even seen it local & wouldn't really know how to cook it properly with what I have
apparently it also goes under the name rump cap...problem I always have is finding the same language the butcher speaks..I say Bavette he looks puzzled, I say Diamanthaas he looks puzzled and comes back with Jodenhaas....all the same thing...perhaps time to use more scientific names, as in the muscle group

Last edited:
I....would not boil picanha. What I'm talking about is top sirloin cap, not tri tip.

Smoke it whole, treat it like a prime rib. Or slice into steaks and sear over charcoal (my favorite) or do it the Brazilian way: slice into steaks on those rotisserie spinners and cook over a fire or mild lump charcoal but kinda further away than a true sear, almost indirect.

Depending on where in the country you are, youll also see picanha called a culotte. Lots of ways to cook, you can slice into steaks and cook accordingly, smoke, grill, but the key is keeping it on the rarish side while rendering that big fat cap a little. To that end, my favorite way is sous vide followed by a hard sear.

1000007025.jpg

If I'm splurging, it's Porterhouse every time, even though you have to do tricks to get the parts to come out the same doneness.

The New York strip part has the best flavor of anything. I prefer it over ribeye. Some experts say that ribeye should really be cooked medium, which just goes to show that there's something not quite right about ribeye. OK, I love ribeye, just couldn't resist the dig.

Meat is always best on the bone

Alternating super-flavorful chewy with soft tenderloin is just pure fun
I give away the tender part 🤣

Funny enough, Fresh Market had A5 American wagyu ribeyes in stock today so we took a flyer. Never had it before

View attachment 301239

Yeah that’s definitely not A5, hope you didn’t pay A5 prices, but like @btbyrd said, that’s a much better steak to sit and enjoy. That’s about the upper limit of marbling that someone can endure… anything more and after a few bites you’ll feel like you did when you were a kid and ate all your Halloween candy in one sitting lol

Prime NY strip for me, inch and a half minimum cooked rare.
I do buy a couple of Prime rib roasts every year and cut them into steaks for my wife.

Yeah that’s definitely not A5, hope you didn’t pay A5 prices, but like @btbyrd said, that’s a much better steak to sit and enjoy. That’s about the upper limit of marbling that someone can endure… anything more and after a few bites you’ll feel like you did when you were a kid and ate all your Halloween candy in one sitting lol
I didn't pay for it at all :) I think TFM charged $50 per pound. Again, not worth it to me. I did cut off the tail fat chunks, rendered that out, and fried potatoes in it which was fun.

I made burgers from wagyu once and holy crap that was the worst, fattiest, unpleasant burger I ever did eat. I guess it's better to blend it with leaner beef, but at that point, why bother with the wagyu? Might as well just do a brisket/chuck/short rib blend and know it'll be tasty.

My favorite steak start to finish. Get yourself a whole loin (strip or ribeye) of Australian/american wagyu that’s about halfway in marbling between prime and A5. Dry age it for 45-60 days, if you don’t have a dry aging machine, buy a pack of Umai bags. Then you smoke it for an hour at the lowest temp you can, then sous vide at 135 degrees, then sear. A little drizzle of the best aged balsamic vinegar you have, and this is the steak I’d want if I was on death row.

So I see a lot of folks commenting on rendering fat on ribeyes. I've switched from the common mantra of hot and fast to a much more low and slow approach. Maybe a med to med-low temp, just enough to get some bubbles in butter I guess. Then I slowly heat and flip, maybe a couple minutes per side and let the crust gradually build and the fat to render. I baste at the end of course.

I much prefer this method over the blast it on both sides for a couple minutes and call it done approach.

I used to do the Alton Brown sear then oven method, but I hated how it made the whole house smell like ribeye for a week. (I know, I know!). I think I'll try the slow and low approach.

I'm currently dry brining a chuck roast to make a Sir Charles. It'll be sort of like prime rib when done. I'll post photos when it's complete.

hanger Steaks are stupid amazing. easy to cook, fast to cook, and I think the cut just tastes beefier. similar to a skirt steak to me in flavor, but the chew is downright softer.

I love how they are not as popular. I can find them readily, and they are prices awesome. even affordable maybe, and this is from my favorite flanneled, wool beanie, waxed mustached, small batch butcher. $13 a pound usually.

I rotate my steaks. if I dare, I think I land on the strip steak most often. I don't eat a lot of steaks at all. 5x a year? so when I do, I hit a great butcher where I can get a big thick version for easier cooking (for me)

Attachments

• crytiger3 copy.jpg
    crytiger3 copy.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
So I see a lot of folks commenting on rendering fat on ribeyes. I've switched from the common mantra of hot and fast to a much more low and slow approach. Maybe a med to med-low temp, just enough to get some bubbles in butter I guess. Then I slowly heat and flip, maybe a couple minutes per side and let the crust gradually build and the fat to render. I baste at the end of course.

I much prefer this method over the blast it on both sides for a couple minutes and call it done approach.
Agreed. Start it on a lower heat on each side, then a short trip to the hot spot on each side. Rest.

My favorite steak start to finish. Get yourself a whole loin (strip or ribeye) of Australian/american wagyu that’s about halfway in marbling between prime and A5. Dry age it for 45-60 days, if you don’t have a dry aging machine, buy a pack of Umai bags. Then you smoke it for an hour at the lowest temp you can, then sous vide at 135 degrees, then sear. A little drizzle of the best aged balsamic vinegar you have, and this is the steak I’d want if I was on death row.

where do I sign up for death row?

apparently it also goes under the name rump cap...problem I always have is finding the same language the butcher speaks..I say Bavette he looks puzzled, I say Diamanthaas he looks puzzled and comes back with Jodenhaas....all the same thing...perhaps time to use more scientific names, as in the muscle group
Not only does just about every language have different names for different cuts, sometimes the same name is used for different cuts, sometimes even within the same language there's multiple names, and to top it all off, different regions actually have different ways of cutting up the animal. It's a nightmare.
Going with the latin names for the muscle groups might take some adjustment but would actually solve a lot of confusion.
Btw bavette is not the same as diamanthaas / jodenhaas (those two are the same).

Back