Steaks...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I see a lot of folks commenting on rendering fat on ribeyes. I've switched from the common mantra of hot and fast to a much more low and slow approach. Maybe a med to med-low temp, just enough to get some bubbles in butter I guess. Then I slowly heat and flip, maybe a couple minutes per side and let the crust gradually build and the fat to render. I baste at the end of course.

I much prefer this method over the blast it on both sides for a couple minutes and call it done approach.
Honestly I think people generally have gotten carried away with 'maximum heat'. It might be useful for quick crustification before/after a sous-vide or low temp oven, but if you're going to do the whole thing in the pan I think maximum heat doesn't necessarily yield the best results. It also creates a lot of unnecessary smoke and annoying screaming smoke alarms.

I....would not boil picanha. What I'm talking about is top sirloin cap, not tri tip.

Smoke it whole, treat it like a prime rib. Or slice into steaks and sear over charcoal (my favorite) or do it the Brazilian way: slice into steaks on those rotisserie spinners and cook over a fire or mild lump charcoal but kinda further away than a true sear, almost indirect.
Spend a week in Vienna…

If you really want to build a crust on a steak that’s been cooked sous vide, you can always throw it in the fridge and let it cool down before you start searing it. Then you can slowly build the crust the way you normally would. I do this for heavily marbled things before I sear them so I don’t risk overcooking.

What are everyone’s favourite methods (in detail) for cooking a large +\- 800g steak? (Specifically ribeye in this case.)

I normally only have smaller sized steaks for myself as my girlfriend doesn’t partake, but a friend and I have recently arranged a monthly steak night to justify running down my drinks cabinet afterwards, and I’m not as familiar with the best approaches for bigger portions.

Stove/oven methods preferred for now, but the grill will be getting some heavy use when the weather improves over the next few weeks.

I don’t think I personally need a sous vide kit in my kitchen, change my mind.

PM’s welcome if this is too much of a departure from @HumbleHomeCook’s original post!

I usually do sous vide, but this method works quite well for larger steaks:

https://www.seriouseats.com/reverse-seared-steak-recipe

On the original topic, I find that I don’t have steaks that often so I usually just stick to ribeyes because it is such a treat. When I do stray, it’s usually a skirt steak or a tenderloin. Occasionally I will get an inexpensive strip steak for stir fry.

If you really want to build a crust on a steak that’s been cooked sous vide, you can always throw it in the fridge and let it cool down before you start searing it. Then you can slowly build the crust the way you normally would. I do this for heavily marbled things before I sear them so I don’t risk overcooking.
I usually do a pre-sear with SV before putting it in the bag. That also makes the post-sear much easier.

What are everyone’s favourite methods (in detail) for cooking a large +\- 800g steak? (Specifically ribeye in this case.)

I normally only have smaller sized steaks for myself as my girlfriend doesn’t partake, but a friend and I have recently arranged a monthly steak night to justify running down my drinks cabinet afterwards, and I’m not as familiar with the best approaches for bigger portions.

Stove/oven methods preferred for now, but the grill will be getting some heavy use when the weather improves over the next few weeks.

I don’t think I personally need a sous vide kit in my kitchen, change my mind.

PM’s welcome if this is too much of a departure from @HumbleHomeCook’s original post!
I don't have much experience with ribeyes so others will know better, but generally speaking when it comes to SV... I have yet to experience any SV steak that was truly better than anything done with other methods (like a low temp oven)...
For steaks the main advantage really is that it's easier, completely idiotproof, and very handsoff. It also frees up an oven.

Actually I have to qualify the easier part. It's easier in the sense that pretty much anyone can do it (all you need is a temperature to shoot for), and it's easier when it comes to timing since you can just hold it after reaching temperature.
However... I found the whole... bagging it up and drying it off more of a bother than simple pan+oven combo, so while I'll occasionally use SV for 'just a steak' when doing a dinner for others, for example because it frees up the oven or simplifies timing, I never use it when making steak at home for just me and my girlfriend.

I think everyone can benefit from sous vide, if only for the reheating capabilities. I hardly ever waste food, because whatever is left over can almost always be vac sealed and frozen and with rare instances where textures are concerned, will be as good as the day it was cooked. Leftovers get thrown out because we don't want the same thing we had 2 days ago... but what about in 2 weeks? Will you want it then? I can put a big fat australian wagyu steak on my plate, and whatever I can't eat, I can stick it in a bag, put it in the fridge, then reheat it tomorrow (or 1 or 2 days later, mind you) to the exact same temp. I've done this enough times with enough people that the consensus is that the steak is actually better the following days. Seasonings penetrate more I guess. Most things degrade in some way when they're reheated via pan, oven, microwave, etc. Sous vide doesn't do this.

Also, I can't stand ribeyes. Can't stand the big chunks of fat that I have to cut around. Yes, the spinalis is delicious, but to me, not worth it. So, I once did an entire wagyu strip loin in sous vide for 16 hours. Treated it like a prime rib, seasoned the holy hell out of it, and plopped it in the water. Sliced it for my employees and their spouses... edge to edge pink that was PERFECT and the finished product was to die for. Searing it with a torch was a bit of a chore, but not that bad. I've also done briskets like this. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving something cooking in my oven for that long without being supervised... but sous vide really opens the door for those bigger, longer cooks to be completely hands off.

Also... sous vide chicken and pork. You will not want to eat either of these the normal way ever again if you have a chance to try them completely pasteurized and safe to eat, at 145 degrees internal temp. From what I've learned, that pasteurization at that temp is not possible unless you can hold it at that temp for a longer period of time. I don't know of any way to do this other than sous vide. Every single person I've given a pork chop cooked like this says the same thing. This doesn't taste like a pork chop, it tastes like a porky steak. Which it very much does. Super juicy, super tender, and a slight pink color inside that would normally make people run for the hills. The chicken is also more juicy and tender when cooked like this.

I could go on and on...

FWIW reheating steak also works well in a low oven (as long as you haven't cut it up). Didn't really notice any difference in quality.

I do agree SV definitly has it's uses, but that's mostly for the stuff where it truly shines; extremely long cooking times, going for extremely specific temperatures, or for example foil wrapped roulades and that sort of thing.

As to pasteurization temp; there's tables floating around somewhere showing how much time is needed at what temperature to achieve the desired log reduction in nasties. Technically you can do that in any device that can hold a temp that long...but yeah SV definitly does that easiest.

Another thing I forgot... it's also really really good for defrosting things in a flash. So good it seems like witchcraft. You could put something frozen solid that's pretty thick in your sous vide bath, and just circulate the water at room temp. Defrosts it quick enough that bacteria multiplying isn't really an issue. No more running water in the sink!

My favorite way is on the charcoal grill with a little chunk of wood for smoke, indirect 225-250F until it's ~15-20F below target temp, usually 45-60 min, rest steak(s), add fresh charcoal, open vents wide open until coals are red hot and sear. The surface is pretty dry after smoking so it takes a nice sear.

Sous vide then sear in charcoal grill is a close second, gets you that perfect edge to edge pink plus a little charcoal flavor.

Pan seared creates the best crust and is pure beefy goodness, but it just gets too smoky inside.

I prefer ribeye and usually aim for a finished temp around 135F. I like the flavor of NY strip and that it's less rich than ribeye, but it's always a bit chewier than I would like even at a lower temp.

I like my ribeyes cooked sous vide at 128 degrees F for about 2 hours. Then patted dry and seared. If I'm just doing one or two steaks, I'll sear them by filling a charcoal chimney and letting the coals go until they are uniformly red hot, then I'll put a grate on the chimney and sear the steaks on the grill. You get an incredible crust in a very short time and the flavor is perfect.

If I'm not in the mood to mess with charcoal, searing in a ripping hot cast iron skillet (550-600 degrees F) while hitting the opposite side with a Searzall torch work pretty well, too.

I agree that SV is great for idiotproof steak, which is great, especially if you're cooking for multiple people. Cook all of them to the lowest common denominator, and then sear them to the finish temp.

I find that I use it most of the time to control for time. Thanksgiving is a great example. I'll make a few things ahead and hold them in the sous vide while I'm finishing the turkey. Don't have to worry about overcooking, getting cold, or anything like that. It's really really nice.

I should be clear that not only do I not currently own a sous vide, I’m not sure if I would be allowed one 😅

My standard MO for ribeyes and porterhouses is to get a real thicc boi and salt it on a rack in the fridge for a couple days. Then a really epic hard sear outdoors, like this:

Chill, seal, SV for an hour or so at 131F, then dropping the temp to like 124F for four hours or so. Chill and reserve until it's time. I finished this steak like 3 weeks after I bought it. A stupid butter baste is a great way to finish things up.

I do a similar thing to @ehhh and basically reverse sear it on indirect heat ~225° F with a wood chunk so it slowly comes up to temp while getting some smokey goodness. Then I pull it off and let it rest while I add more charcoal and getting ripping hot for a sear. I don't have a sous vide and don't particularly feel the need for one so I make do.

If we're talking steak reheating methods...I have them wrapped in foil and throw it on the engine cover of an idling truck for about 30 mins and you're are GOLDEN. It really does work, I do it often in the field.

Is a cheesesteak a steak?

Yeah, a cheesesteak is a steak.
A cheesesteak was a steak. Then they turned it into late-night drunk food.

Tasty late-night drunk food, I admit. I was rarely happier to be in an airport than when I discovered that my gate for my connection in the Philadelphia airport was three gates down from a Pat's cheese steak outlet.

My weapon of choice for searing after sous vide: Benzomatic BZ4500HS. It works better for searing than the TS8000.

IMG_6426 2.jpg

SV carrots are one of my favorite things. I also sometimes vacuum seal them and just pop them in the microwave to achieve a similar effect with a faster cleaner workflow. I love to finish them over wood fire or charcoal.

I had never considered finishing them over wood fire or charcoal. I may have to try that. Do you use a basket for that, or are you cooking full size carrots, then grilling them, then cutting them?

The lazy me buys the rainbow baby carrots from Trader Joes. Sometimes I clean them up, sometimes I don't. I also use thinner larger carrots but turn them sideways or grill them on my Weber over some smoking wood pellets. Or something. This was an occasion where I lit a bunch of binchotan just to grill stuff that was (mostly) cooked already.

2ECD3E16-7622-41DF-887F-1A2A630DE7D4.jpeg

76268E9F-51C6-483E-93B6-C59C1ABAAA82.jpeg

3CEFC052-98D5-48C7-8F0E-DB683F428760.jpeg

Last edited:
I was an early adopter of sous vide well over 10 years ago, but hadn't been doing as much in recent years. This is my second attempt at a137 degree ribeye. It was 1.23 lbs. and about 1.6 inches thick. I ran it at 137 for 2 hours, 15 minutes, then I put in an ice bath for 10 minutes. Seared using hardwood charcoal that was very hot. I used to only cook around 129 for ribeye, but 137 has merit, especially chilling before sear. I have done a couple more of these since this one, but didn't take any pics. One dry-aged was probably the best.

Attachments

• IMG_0699.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Back