Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes
  1. install "ublock origin" browser extension
  2. block KKF-specific annoyances by pasting these in the "My Filters" tab in ublock
Code:
! general KKF annoyances:
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice--enablePush
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(/supporting membership/i)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(/extending this opportunity to join/i)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(/With the ever increasing fees of everything/i)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com###gbSponsoredBody
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.gb-sponsored-wrapper
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.gb-donate_wrapper
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.userBanner:has-text(KKF Sponsor)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.userBanner:has-text(Supporting Member)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.userBanner:has-text(Lifetime Supporter)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.userBanner:has-text(KKF Supporting Craftsman)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##span.item > .actionBar-action--gift
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##a.button:has-text(Gift Supporting)

! you can block specific threads like this:
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.structItem--thread:has-text(New Member Introductions)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.structItem--thread:has-text(KKF Fantasy Football League)

this gets you back to a pretty clean looking xenforo forum experience

sorry... not sorry ;[

yes
  2. block KKF-specific annoyances by pasting these in the "My Filters" tab in ublock
Code:
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(/extending this opportunity to join/i)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.notice:has-text(/With the ever increasing fees of everything/i)

www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.structItem--thread:has-text(New Member Introductions)
www.kitchenknifeforums.com##.structItem--thread:has-text(KKF Fantasy Football League)

sorry... not sorry ;[
Most of the things in the annoyances list appear to relate only to people without supporting memberships, and therefore do not relate to @Gavva, who does have a supporting membership. I guess blocking people's supporting membership banners would apply, but it may not be a common desire.

For the record I did not say that allergies or strong preferences should be ignored by fancypants restaurants.

Most of the things in the annoyances list appear to relate only to people without supporting memberships, and therefore do not relate to @Gavva, who does have a supporting membership. I guess blocking people's supporting membership banners would apply, but it may not be a common desire.

the given approach relates to any user that wants a clean (uncluttered) browsing experience regardless of their donation status.

i share it because it may benefit even existing users of content filtering software who have never explored custom filtering rules. ublock origin is a pretty flexible tool that goes far beyond blocking ads.

out of scope, but if you also use a userscript extension like tampermonkey and a css stylesheet injector like stylus, you can browse your favorite sites almost without compromise. assuming you know js and css, the only limit is your imagination and amount of free time.

Last edited:
yes
Code:

sorry... not sorry ;[
You lost me at Yes.....

You lost me at Yes.....

Oh man, I sell software integration tools as my day job and I have zero interest in touching anything that smacks of code or scripting in my off time. I can’t even get up the energy to figure out how to program a bot to snag a release 😂

This off-duty slacker attitude did bite me in the butt back when bitcoin was $100 and I tried to figure out how to buy some but gave up after 2 mins because I couldn’t be bothered to figure out wth a wallet was 😢

Last edited:
As the OP, I have thanked @sansho and informed him that I too, was lost at Yes. Using Safari and I reviewed my Preference settings. I made sure I had ad- blockers turned on for everyone and not just for specific sites. That stopped it. Will check my KKF settings when I get back from Oppenheimer. This thread has been fun. I should post more often. Or maybe not, lol.

As the OP, I have thanked @sansho and informed him that I too, was lost at Yes. Using Safari and I reviewed my Preference settings. I made sure I had ad- blockers turned on for everyone and not just for specific sites. That stopped it. Will check my KKF settings when I get back from Oppenheimer. This thread has been fun. I should post more often. Or maybe not, lol.

You'll see it under Preferences.

Nothing against Don as a person, but his knives are overpriced for what they are.
I never used one (and have no clue what pricing is these days) but I have to give him credit for having a unique aesthethic that's pretty much instantly recognizable.

240 is fine with me as an all round size, but still have some old 20cm German stainless lying around, feels super tiny now.
For some people this is petty territory :D

It's weird to be in a place where a 240 feels a bit short. When I started it felt huge.
I was scared that 240s would be too big, since I preferred 180s to 200-210s, but my first 240 felt so natural I immediately jumped on the train and it's most of my collection now. Worried the same will happen at 270.

Turns out I just don't like 210s, awkward tweeners.

I was scared that 240s would be too big, since I preferred 180s to 200-210s, but my first 240 felt so natural I immediately jumped on the train and it's most of my collection now. Worried the same will happen at 270.
It kind of has to me. 270 feels most natural to me at this point, and my one 300 gyuto is a treat to use. The good news is that I still reach for my 240s a lot, usually when I know it's going to be a shorter cutting session.

Sometimes it's the ability to make longer continuous cuts that drives my preferences up the length scale. But mostly it's weight, and how weight helps in cutting.

Back