Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love burger diversity in my diet—when hungered, I’ll happily devour a Shake Shack; or an Aussie burger with beets/pineapple/fried egg; or adventurous ethnic riffs on burgers (spicy halal lamb cheese burger, Korean hamburger, etc); or the awesome California burger I had with ketchup leather—using quality mince is requisite for a good burger. Best burgers to me are in NYC (we all have our biases).

Non-American white people make terrible burgers. Maybe Canadians get a pass. But in the UK (including Australia) they always seem to put chutney or beet or bad curry ketchup on them, and in Europe they seem to turn them into meatball burgers.

Korea shows them how it's done:

those look pretty good.

lol'd at the kirkland products. forgot they have costco in korea...

also they use a 'little chief' smoker for their bacon. those things suck ass ime, but i guess it works for them.

But in the UK (including Australia) they always seem to put chutney or beet or bad curry ketchup on them
You obviously never had an Aussie burger with the lot.

cs4dc24tb9s21.jpg

That looks good!

Similar to how I strive to conduct my love life in a manner that would piss off sexual moralists, I think we should all try to eat and cook in ways that upset small minded regional food purists
I also like ketchup on my Hawaiian pizza.

Anatomy of a Perfect Hamburger.

View attachment 269179
I've actually done a simple burger with beef, bacon, cheese and pineapple for years, it actually works really well.

What also worked well was beef, halloumi, humus and pomegranate molasses.

What I don't like is overly tall superstacked burgers that are just impossible to eat without dislocating your jaw. For some reason that's a trend. 🤷‍♂️

Non-American white people make terrible burgers. Maybe Canadians get a pass. But in the UK (including Australia) they always seem to put chutney or beet or bad curry ketchup on them, and in Europe they seem to turn them into meatball burgers.

Korea shows them how it's done:

Excuse me sir, I don’t know where you’ve been in the UK, but we don’t do any of those things…

If you tried to put beetroot in a burger here you would be arrested, curry ketchup sounds like a very German thing and doesn’t exist here, and the closest thing to chutney in a burger that we regularly have is onion marmalade - which is a quality burger condiment imo that works well with funky dry aged beef.

Last edited:
Beets pickled an a burger is ridicoulously good. it is essentially the pickle.

no red beets tho. they bun color gets so stained.

Yeah pickled beet would be awesome. I bet mixed with pickled shallot or red onion would be perfect.
I would try pickled beets. I think it's mostly that I just don't want sweet things on my burger, but with the acidity it might work.

Correct - usually done on a 'fresher' style one. Iceberg lettuce, fresh tomato, leaner beef. Very different - not better, not worse, almost a different category of food from the high fat patty, melted cheese Shake Shack style burger.
I’ll be indulging in Aussie burgers when I’m there next year, along with meat pies, local beer/wine, and other antipodean delights. Regarding burgers, I’m into whatever burger interpretation is slapped onto my plate, so long as it’s done will skill and in good taste. Oklahoma smash burgers are nice.

Reactions: JB1

mmm.. compost burger... don't knock it till you try it?

here's my unpopular opinion: hummus sucks
i mean, sure, i'll eat it, but why would i ever eat hummus when i have access to baba ghanoush for example?

I've actually done a simple burger with beef, bacon, cheese and pineapple for years, it actually works really well.

What I don't like is overly tall superstacked burgers that are just impossible to eat without dislocating your jaw. For some reason that's a trend. 🤷‍♂️

The halloumi, humus and pomegranate molasses sounds great! I’d probably coat the bun in za’atar, my recent bread garnish.

Agree, the super stacked burgers are lame, don’t see the point, architecturally flawed food IMHO.

hu·mus | ˈ(h)yo͞oməs |
noun
the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.

hey, if we're putting pineapple on pizza 🤡

Y'all must have different Shake Shacks than we do. The burgers suck. The shakes suck. Staff thinks they're doing you a favor by taking your money.

Above based on one data point.

Tl /dr. Shake Shack. The prices are high but the food is lousy...
In my experience, Shake Shack quality can vary considerably—I've had burgers that ranged from very good to awful. Generally, the SS meals I've had in NYC have been good.

hu·mus | ˈ(h)yo͞oməs |
noun
the organic component of soil, formed by the decomposition of leaves and other plant material by soil microorganisms.

hey, if we're putting pineapple on pizza 🤡

Mmm, sometimes I do crave pineapple and Canadian bacon on a pizza; or arugula and prosciutto; or white pizza with clams, bacon; or anchovies; or kinchi, squid, hotdogs. Honestly I'd be bored to tears just eating traditional Italian, or standard pizza house concoctions.

Pizza is a blank canvas. Pizza is akin to rap music—a vehicle for cultural identity.

maxresdefault-2.jpg

BBQ Brisket Pizza
Screen_Shot_2017_04_19_at_4.57.14_PM.0.jpg

NJ Taco Pizza
rainbow-warrior-pizza.jpg

Hawaiian Pizza with Kalua Pork, Portuguese Sausage, Spam, Char Sui and Fresh Pineapple
maxresdefault-3.jpg

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 0
What I don't like is overly tall superstacked burgers that are just impossible to eat without dislocating your jaw. For some reason that's a trend.
I’ve seen lots of restaurants using giant buns for burgers. Thats as big a problem as an Italian serving under-sauced pasta. I love over-sauced pasta with too much cheese and burgers are great without a bun.

Back