Unpopular opinions

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too much msg?

Attachments

• B2C93309-A543-4A12-BBA1-C577817AF660.jpeg
    B2C93309-A543-4A12-BBA1-C577817AF660.jpeg
    858.7 KB · Views: 0
Also, Ethan Chlebowski. Guy literally only has a career because Samin Nostra wrote Salt Fat Acid Heat. Launch him into the sun. Just an absolute worthless existence and the world wouldn't be any better or worse if he just stopped making "content" (that word = 🤮)
I'm actually going to disagree on that one.... say of him what you will but at least he's honest about citing his sources and references, that's actually more than you can say for a lot of YT.
And he has done quite a few videos with deep dives and (blind) testing that I actually found quite interesting. And at least his videos are a lot more organized and structured than many other youtubers. There's far worse on YT IMO.

One thing I notice about dis place
How we like to tease da other Race
It's a wonder we can live in da same place.

What vegetables haven't had a Salmonella warning/recall in the last 10+ years?
While its true that many vegetables have salmonella warnings, sprouts (mung bean in particular) are among the most likely to cause food poisoning. At least that's what I remember reading. I always ask for my bean sprouts steamed, especially in Vietnamese restaurants.

Or listeria. It’s weird when cantaloupe is more dangerous than cold cuts. Anyway, when you add pho broth (last, of course) it should be boiling so it cooks the raw tripe and tendon and slice.

Secondary opinion: tripe is the best pho meat

i grab greens, step outside, and whip them around a bit until dry. i'd probably use a spinner if i had one, but my way seems to work fine. annoying in the winter, though.

Salad spinners are a waste of space.
LOL I’d bet my Yannick I prep more leafy greens than anyone else on this forum and you simply cannot do without one of these if you buy whole heads. Lettuces are filthy and need to be cleaned well and getting them dry enough to take a salad dressing well is basically impossible even at home scale.

I knew that would be unpopular. 😁

Don't get me wrong, I use mine, just when space is a premium as it is for me, it just isn't a priority.

It's just my wife and I and I usually prep everything in advance enough that isn't a huge issue.

LOL I’d bet my Yannick I prep more leafy greens than anyone else on this forum
In case anyone is tempted to call me on this:
• 330+ bunches of kale
• 650+ heads of romaine
• 170+ lbs of spinach
• 55+ lbs of arugula
… daily. Obviously I don’t solo prep it all, but still. Leafy greens are life and you need a salad spinner. Also romaine prices caused me to have multiple panic attacks in November lol

So uh what commercial spinner do you recommend then? The retail ones all break way too quickly.

In case anyone is tempted to call me on this:
• 330+ bunches of kale
• 650+ heads of romaine
• 170+ lbs of spinach
• 55+ lbs of arugula
… daily. Obviously I don’t solo prep it all, but still. Leafy greens are life and you need a salad spinner. Also romaine prices caused me to have multiple panic attacks in November lol
😯It's not a salad spinner you need, it's a washing machine!

So uh what commercial spinner do you recommend then? The retail ones all break way too quickly.
I got a Matfer, which I am quite happy with (though I would not mind a larger drain opening with a spigot). It was about twice as costly as the ones that look like you'd only see them in a commercial kitchen, but that was a necessary aesthetic choice to keep peace in the family.

Update: I agree with you about the home ones. Crappily made, fragile, too hard to crank, not enough capacity. That's why I went with something more on the commercial side.

Back