What’s your Go-to FISH SAUCE?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Squid brand for Thai food. Accept no substitutes.
IMG_5823.jpeg

tra chang and tiparos (both thai I think)

Different flavor profiles for different things but we taste tested 30+ in my ramen shop running days and these were the collective favorites.

Three Crabs. Then Squid.

I think this is deeply personal though, since the combination of salty, fishy, funky, sweet can vary so much depending on brand. Definitely worth doing a taste test though if you have access to many different brands. Then a taste test for oyster sauce. Then a taste test for hoisin...

Different flavor profiles for different things but we taste tested 30+ in my ramen shop running days and these were the collective favorites.
I can see how it would be different for different dishes. I'm mostly using it for Thai curries and random umami additions to stews, so Red Boat's intensity and depth and assertive character works well with so much going on in the dish already. It makes sense that it might be too overbearing for something a transparent as ramen broth, though.

I really like Tiparos - I'll have to try Tra Chang next.

Last edited:
Squid for Thai, eggs, and any non-Viet cooking
Red Boat for using raw on stuff or in sauces (other than nuoc cham)
Three Crabs for Viet

Red Boat is my go-to, but perhaps my favorite out of everything I've tried is made from Ayu or sweetfish. The brand is called Hara Jirozaemon. MTC used to carry it, but I think I most recently got a bottle from Toiro. I just saw it's available on Amazon for $30 with free shipping, which might be the way to go. It's very expensive but very delicious, almost hammy. I'd use it a lot more if it wasn't so expensive!

Whatever is freshest.

Within that criterion,

Red Boat.

If I can't get that- Megachef.

If I can't get that- Squid. I think that there is a premium version that I haven't tried yet.

I have been using 3-Crabs. seems fine. I NEVER seem to finish a bottle EVER, but this time it seems like I will. I been salting (lightly) soups with it. killer!!

going to the store today. will look for RedBoat or Squid. I know I see squid everywhere.

thanks TEAM!!

I've got like three/four different types, from Megachef to aged Garum, and usually two in betweens like Squid brand and another of which the name escapes me.
And Trassi, fermented shrimp and some more stinky stuff, all for good flavor

Red Boat is my go-to, but perhaps my favorite out of everything I've tried is made from Ayu or sweetfish. The brand is called Hara Jirozaemon. MTC used to carry it, but I think I most recently got a bottle from Toiro. I just saw it's available on Amazon for $30 with free shipping, which might be the way to go. It's very expensive but very delicious, almost hammy. I'd use it a lot more if it wasn't so expensive!
I’ve never tried the Ayu fish sauce. Can you give
I’ve never tried the Ayu fish sauce. Can you give a little more description?

For me it’s red boat, followed by megachef. Like three crabs for dipping sauces.

looks interesting!!! you ever find it at stores?

we have a huge Japanese grocery store around.

Back