what do you guys use for pocket knives?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a vintage 70's Laguiole Stainless simple, elegant, old school. Anyone else likes these ?

Attachments

• Laguiole 2.jpg
    Laguiole 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 3.jpg
    Laguiole 3.jpg
    889.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 4.jpg
    Laguiole 4.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 5.jpg
    Laguiole 5.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 6.jpg
    Laguiole 6.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 7.jpg
    Laguiole 7.jpg
    845.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Laguiole 1.jpg
    Laguiole 1.jpg
    950.2 KB · Views: 0
I carry knives made by people i know..On my left side, I always carry an Emerson CQC-6. In my right pocket...it varies. Today it's a Tracker Dan Karashark fixed blade.

Have you opened a bottle of vino with this knife?

I have! I must confess that I prefer a simple wine key in terms of simple mechanics, but there's no classier knife to have on a picnic. I also use it unnecessarily when we have charcuterie/salumi/cheese boards at home. Frankly, I would rather have a non-corkscrew version of this knife AND the wine key that Laguiole Gilles also makes. But since I didn't want to pay $200 for a corkscrew (especially since I only drink $15 wines), this hits a lovely compromise.

That's a super cool one dude !

Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone in France!

Anyone here planning to pick up the Spyderco big brown bear Collab in 15v?

I would totally get one, I just doubt I'm going to have to money when it drops.

Sean at triple b makes great content. I think the knife is a manix 2 right? Maybe, and throw some custom scales on it. Would love a framelock with it. Gimme a slysz bowie with 15v...

Sean at triple b makes great content. I think the knife is a manix 2 right? Maybe, and throw some custom scales on it. Would love a framelock with it. Gimme a slysz bowie with 15v...
Yeah i believe it is the manix 2.

Some custom scales would be dope with it. Though that peel ply texture does make it nice and grippy with the stock scales.

I wish they were doing it as a permanent line, but I totally get why theyre just making it limited edition. The real thing I'm wondering is it will be ground thinner than the normal manix.

I am tempted. Manix 2 is not knife that I like design-wise (somehow does not fit my hand - at least the LW version), but the HT is going to be top notch on that one. The price is not too bad for such a cool sprint in G10.

Some of my collection, at least the ones I carry regularly!

Chavez Ultramar
VDK Impaler
Brous Blades Hardwire and titanium framed Parallax
Santa Fe Stoneworks modified Kershaw with mammoth molar scale

PXL_20221115_212927698.jpg
PXL_20221115_212933398.jpg
PXL_20221115_213021901.jpg
PXL_20221115_213053245.jpg
PXL_20221115_213119636.jpg
PXL_20221115_213151311.jpg

Reactions: Kgp
I have added a couple over the last few months thanks to you enablers.

Spyderco Chaparral in XHP and a Buck 110

View attachment 208709

Both classics!

If you ever want, you can always send the Buck back to the factory for their spa treatment. I actually live only a few dozens miles from them.

That Chap is a slicey little SOB ain't it?

Just to put a bug in your brain, if you like the Chap, the Dragonfly 2 is also awesome and the Wharncliffe version was developed by a full time chef with Sal Glesser. I watched it unfold on the Spyderco forum. He wanted a utility type knife for plastic, boxes, etc. At the time, Spyderco wasn't offering very many Wharncliffe options of their standard models but after that, they become much more common. :)

Both classics!

If you ever want, you can always send the Buck back to the factory for their spa treatment. I actually live only a few dozens miles from them.

That Chap is a slicey little SOB ain't it?

That blade is skinnier than a toothpick, literally. It is behind there believe it or not.

PXL_20220804_004324762.jpg

Just to put a bug in your brain, if you like the Chap, the Dragonfly 2 is also awesome and the Wharncliffe version was developed by a full time chef with Sal Glesser. I watched it unfold on the Spyderco forum. He wanted a utility type knife for plastic, boxes, etc. At the time, Spyderco wasn't offering very many Wharncliffe options of their standard models but after that, they become much more common. :)

I'll check it out. Thanks for the recommendation

Oh yeah. I guess I should post this here.

It's a reblade I did for my poor used up para 3.

It's magnacut. The target hardness was around 64 (likely a little higher). Since I was keeping this for myself, I didn't bother too much on the finish, but I'm happy with it. 6 thousands behind the edge. It cuts very well.

IMG_20221109_225211743.jpg

It's a little smudged but you get the idea.

Sandrin Knives Dellatorre!
My daily knife for card board boxes etc.
That's a very sharp, apparently ridiculously durable edged but also very expensive box cutter there.

I just tripped over the Sandrin page while looking for something else, odd that they designed the Japanese styled (in name at least) kitchen knives so poorly. Everlasting sharpness doesn't mean much if it's too poorly designed to use without frustration.

Some of the pocket knives did look a bit better designed, I do have to wonder about the apparent 0 taper in blade thickness among all of their knives-

--------------------

(edit)

Found the CORROSION vs. ACIDITY chart. Yes, these knives use COBALT for a binder!

Neither cobalt nor tungsten are good things to ingest. The small % of either in iron based knife alloys hasn't been an issue, however, might that change when the MAJOROTY of composition are these two elements?!

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=88832
tungsten-carbide-corrosion-resistance.jpg

Last edited:
I have this guy that was a gift from a friend in France. I can't remember the maker but it was a small shop long closed.

tQFynZEm.jpg

I'm a sucker for Chambriard Compacts:
e8J2o5Rl.jpg

Lxy6zhGl.jpg
Not sure if it's the same maker, but similar(ish) stuff is still sold through K-Sabatier if anyone is interested.
Le Thiers French pocket knives - Sabatier K Thiers cutlery
They're not the ones who make them though, that's Chambriard. So you can probably also find other sellers / distributors through them:
Coutellerie Chambriard - Couteliers à Thiers depuis 1883

I'm not sure about the first one but it looks more like a classical Laguiole; if you dig around on the K-Sab website you can probably find something similar to that as well.
Regional pocket knives : French tradition of the cutlery industry - Sabatier K

Not sure if it's the same maker, but similar(ish) stuff is still sold through K-Sabatier if anyone is interested.
Le Thiers French pocket knives - Sabatier K Thiers cutlery
They're not the ones who make them though, that's Chambriard. So you can probably also find other sellers / distributors through them:
Coutellerie Chambriard - Couteliers à Thiers depuis 1883

I'm not sure about the first one but it looks more like a classical Laguiole; if you dig around on the K-Sab website you can probably find something similar to that as well.
Regional pocket knives : French tradition of the cutlery industry - Sabatier K

There's several Laguiole makers out there. Folks just need to be mindful not to pickup any of the junk out of China or Pakistan.

Fontenille Pataud is probably the top of the game right now but their prices reflect it. Aubrac and Forge de Laguiole are two other popular makers.

I'm a big fan of Chambriard's Compact line.

For USA folks, both Bernal Cutlery and Strata usually have a decent selection of French knives.

Back