Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brace yourselves. This was breakfast just now. Homemade SLOPPY JOE SLIDERS!

i usually cook the meat with a splash of beer, but I used water since I would have to drink the remaining beer - its 7:30 am! Haha. Still spicy delicious.. super rainy California morning. The rains finally arrived.

View attachment 106247
haha... very good. Sloppy Joe is great.

We eat more chopped beef than Sloppy Joe sandwiches on hamburger buns. Chopped beef is more the lower end of a brisket sandwich. They slice the smoked brisket and the good brisket is saved and the pieces of brisket left over is made into a chopped beef sandwich which is real good with pickles and onions.

Your Sloppy Joe look tasty but would be hard to find around where I live.

Last edited:
Cornish game hen with twice baked potato, Brussel sprouts and stuffing...
IMG_6691.jpeg

Please @camochili ! My wife loves sloppy Joe’s and I can’t stand them. Maybe this could be a compromise. And I took home 65 lbs of ground beef yesterday
ok. here we go

This is a recipie for 4. Depending on how much you eat you may adjust it a bit. We had a bit less of Meat for 2.

500g minced Lamb (we took Beef instead)
30g fresh ginger
2-3 small onions
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
2 Tablespoons of coconutoil
1.5 Tablespoons of Garam Masala
0.5 Teaspoon of Tumeric
1 teaspoon of medium hot Currypowder
1 tin of chunky tomatos
125g of Yoghurt (10% fat)
1 lime (juice of it)
1 pinch of Cumin
1 small Cucumber
half bunch of Coriander
Leafs of 4-5 stems of mint
Salt
Pepper
4 Burgerbuns (we took Naan buns)
20g of butter

1. For the meat, peel Garlic and ginger. Rub the ginger and chop the garlic and mix it with the meat. Chop onions and stew them in a pot with coconut oil. Add the meat and fry until crumbly. Add salt, Garam Masala, Tumeric and and Currypowder and fry for a few instants. Then add tomatos and cook it with low/medium heat semicovered for 20-30mins until it's gravy.

2. In the meantime mix Yoghurt, limejuice and Cumin and season it with a bit of salt. Slice cucumer and red onion.

3. Chop Coriander as a whole and the mintleaves. Add them to the meat and mix it.

4. You can roast the buns with some butter in a pan. At the end, fill the buns with meat, red onions and yoghurt.

Enjoy!

Just made lunch and I used some of my fatty brisket meat to stuff a baked potato. It is cold and rainy so we are making bread. We rubbed some bacon fat on the outside of a potato with crystalized salt and baked them with the bread. My wife had her own potato as we made 2 baked potatoes.

I should add I think the red jalapeno adds a sweetness to the hot that a green one won't. I cut the red jalapeno in different sizes so the heat varies bite to bite.

The meat in the potato is a meat on the fatty side of the brisket. It's not just fat. I read it this morning and it sounded like it was only fat to me.

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    194.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
ok. here we go

This is a recipie for 4. Depending on how much you eat you may adjust it a bit. We had a bit less of Meat for 2.
I made this tonight. That was really tasty. The yoghurt/lime/cumin combination works extremely well. Thank you for the recipe!
IMG_3978.jpg

I made this tonight. That was really tasty. The yoghurt/lime/cumin combination works extremely well. Thank you for the recipe!
View attachment 106335

OK, I am going to make it for lunch. I will need to use flour tortillas and eat it as a taco. There is not any good flat bread around me. I would have to drive in to Austin Texas which is 30 miles away.

The flour tortillas I will cook on a gas burner which flame kisses them so they will look like Michi's picture which gave me the idea.

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as cooking or more as luck/dementia, but I was putting some leftovers in the freezer and came across a batch of Vietnamese Bo Kho, that I had all but forgotten about and since it's a miserable, cold and rainy day in Denmark today, this was the perfect meal to lift my spirits! All I had to do was boil some rice noodles, cut a lime in half and enjoy the fruits of my (previous) labour!
IMG_1431.jpg

So here is my version of the middle eastern tacos with garam masala. The favors are good but I have no idea whether they are right or not. It makes a nice lunch.

Michi I kind of made what you made above. And thank you camochili for the original recipe

My wife likes the Wusthof small santo and she cut the mint and cilantro. Anything to keep her from using a paring knife.

Attachments

• IMG_0050.jpg
    IMG_0050.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Trippa alla Romana. Last week was a tripe project, cooked up a batch of Roman Style Tripe. Hallmarks of Trippa alla Romana is tripe long simmered with tomatoes, mirepoix, garlic, wine, chili pepper—garnished with fresh mint, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Pecorino Romano.

Two types of tripe here—honeycomb and blanket. The blanket tripe took 7 bloody hours to cook! Whereas honeycomb done in 1.5 hours. Different tripes need to be cooked separately before combining.

Chili component was Korean gochujang; Vietnamese fish sauce to boost umami. Tripe pre simmered in ginger and scallion—ginger used in ancient Roman kitchens

My wife won't touch tripe, so all for me. Peasant food.

251BE521-6DE7-4FF1-A02B-560CB0461EDD.jpeg

838C07A1-A72C-41FD-A565-C227EAD473AD.jpeg

CF662A25-7B3E-46FF-BEAA-7D9683F5CEE5.jpeg

8C4AEE6F-2514-44E9-B652-57B198F0648A.jpeg

53943D43-9249-4F75-BE73-029691E9FA70.jpeg

960E98B6-94B9-405F-9BB3-A4DD54CC4277.jpeg

B60EDED5-6916-455A-A5A1-C9490C698F42.jpeg

Dashi soup broth, 2 ingredients, kombu kelp and shaved dried smoked bonito flakes, garnished with a bit of thin sliced scallions. First time I've made this, it's delicious, has a subtle depth to it.
Poor man's california rolls, gluten free imitation crab, still yummy.

Attachments

• 20201214_181825.jpg
    20201214_181825.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 15
This was my first time making it so I did not have a special pot. I used something very similar to what was used in this video, and what I have is a large calphalon non-stick high sided pan.

ok... that's how to do it without the ricepot.
my wife once bought a "pars khazar" ricepot. it makes it so simple to prepare the rice the persian way...
anyway, the result looks the same and is supertasy.

Thread is called 'what's cooking'. Isn't that supposed to go in the 'what's raw' thread? ;)

Oh well yeah of course I made thick bacon and toast but still...
Call me a barbarian but to me eggs are just a matrix to keep the bacon & cheese together... :D

Back