Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds fantastic. My personal pref would probably be to sous vide it 1 or 2 C cooler, and therefore leave it in the bath longer to break down a bit more collagen, but like my beef nearly mooing. How even is the heat on the Demeyere 7ply? I've heard good and bad things, but not from anyone who actually did any empirical testing.

I also have the demeyere Atlantis/ProLine and find it pretty even, but haven’t compared against other similar cookware.

This is an old pic but you can put a pretty deep / even sear on things. Also this is from the 20cm pan which is thinner than the 24-32cm
2385FE06-9079-4D8B-9E22-1F7349C7E08A.jpeg

View attachment 112661
I am usually a grill guy for steak, but I cooked this one last night in a cast iron using a sear and a butter basting, and it was delicious! I might be a convert.
Throw some thyme, shallot and garlic in the butter while basting.

View attachment 112661
I am usually a grill guy for steak, but I cooked this one last night in a cast iron using a sear and a butter basting, and it was delicious! I might be a convert.

Throw some thyme, shallot and garlic in the butter while basting.

Count me among the converted as well. There was a time when I would have told you that pan-seared steak was a tragedy. But that's because I'd never had a proper steak pan-seared properly!

The temperature control, the even full crust, the ability to baste with added flavors, all combine to make me prefer pan-searing to grilling.

:)

I also have the demeyere Atlantis/ProLine and find it pretty even, but haven’t compared against other similar cookware.

This is an old pic but you can put a pretty deep / even sear on things. Also this is from the 20cm pan which is thinner than the 24-32cm
View attachment 112654

here is 1 i did last night... i put a 1/8" pat of butter on each side (first I seared for 90 sec per side) for 45-60 seconds. Milk solids really deepened the crust nicely and offered a extra nutty flavor.

I have 1 more left, for this weekend :D

ribeye-crust.jpg

Count me among the converted as well. There was a time when I would have told you that pan-seared steak was a tragedy. But that's because I'd never had a proper steak pan-seared properly!

The temperature control, the even full crust, the ability to baste with added flavors, all combine to make me prefer pan-searing to grilling.

:)
How about the reverse sear method, it's got me curious?

How about the reverse sear method, it's got me curious?

Never done it. I just never saw the need.

I like the slower sear method. Pan just hot enough to start searing but so hot that the outside cooks way faster than the inside. Flip it every minute or two so the crust slowly develops and then start basting to add to it. Continue until the meat cooks to desired doneness. It takes some attention and you need to play with the heat according to hwo things are going but the crust and flavor are so worth it.

Set your herbs (if you use them and whatever they are) and garlic n your board and your meat atop it then drizzle with some of the butter and Mmmph!

Put the potatoes in the oven. :p

Lovely food, lovely family. You got some special kids who will eat sashimi 🤣 Good taste must be hereditary.

Why thank you. I'm pretty fond of those little people. I've always served everything, and they always eat it. Each kid has one thing they randomly don't like, so I don't serve those things. The sashimi was the first time - they weren't excited for it, but went along, then asked for seconds.

They are hilarious though - if they are on vacation or whatever and only eat junk for a few days or a week, they come to me and say "ok, dad, only broccoli for the next 3 days, OK?"

Back