Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made 2 steaks for dinner last night. They were huge as I cut them from a ribeye roast... But, it allowed me to sous vide at 122f and then really put a great crust on it.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

I was out in the garden today and we decided to have a simple meal. Porkchops, jalapeno cornbread, collard greens. The collard greens are from my garden and the cornmeal is from a Texas mill.

I put a little pepper juice on the collard greens. I pick chili pequin peppers put them in an empty Tabasco bottle. Then I pour a little rice wine vinegar over them and let them age for a few months in the refrig.

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Those look spectacular. Just salt and pepper on them or did you go all fancy?

salt, pepper, thyme, garlic power when sous vide. then took out and just added bit more pepper and salt. key is obv is preheating pan... that 1 is demeyere 7ply, so took good 8-10min to preheat on medium. then 90 sec per side and then another 1 min per side for final crust.

sous vide was at 122f

salt, pepper, thyme, garlic power when sous vide. then took out and just added bit more pepper and salt. key is obv is preheating pan... that 1 is demeyere 7ply, so took good 8-10min to preheat on medium. then 90 sec per side and then another 1 min per side for final crust.

sous vide was at 122f

Sounds fantastic. My personal pref would probably be to sous vide it 1 or 2 C cooler, and therefore leave it in the bath longer to break down a bit more collagen, but like my beef nearly mooing. How even is the heat on the Demeyere 7ply? I've heard good and bad things, but not from anyone who actually did any empirical testing.

Snowed like crazy here yesterday, for my money pot au feu is the all time best blizzard food. I couldn't get everything I usually do, so this one was all beef (short ribs, chuck and oxtails) As previously, I invited the neighbors, served it in the hall, everyone took their own portion home for a socially distant communal experience.

As you can see, we're working our way up to our Valentine's Day feast.

ps-I bought that Fujiwara FKM suji on BST a few months ago, never had a suji before. It's a nice bargain knife

0.jpg
b.jpg
c.jpg
a.jpg

Snowed like crazy here yesterday, for my money pot au feu is the all time best blizzard food. I couldn't get everything I usually do, so this one was all beef (short ribs, chuck and oxtails) As previously, I invited the neighbors, served it in the hall, everyone took their own portion home for a socially distant communal experience.

ps-I bought that Fujiwara FKM suji on BST a few months ago, never had a suji before. It's a nice bargain knife

View attachment 112440View attachment 112442View attachment 112443View attachment 112441

Such a cool thing to do! 👍

Sounds fantastic. My personal pref would probably be to sous vide it 1 or 2 C cooler, and therefore leave it in the bath longer to break down a bit more collagen, but like my beef nearly mooing. How even is the heat on the Demeyere 7ply? I've heard good and bad things, but not from anyone who actually did any empirical testing.

I am no expert in food science but I always assumed that collagen only starts to break down after 160f, so at 120f (which is the usual temp I cook mine at, but these were 1.5"+ thick, so I did a bit higher) it could sit for hours and not do anything?

I am no expert in food science but I always assumed that collagen only starts to break down after 160f, so at 120f (which is the usual temp I cook mine at, but these were 1.5"+ thick, so I did a bit higher) it could sit for hours and not do anything?

Nah, collagen starts to break down at 50C or a bit under (the 120F you cook at). I usually go 48 for tender meats, and 49/50 for slightly tougher ones. Then just leave them as long as it takes. Meat doesn't go bad when sous vide, "this meat is too tender" is rarely something one hears. :D

I learned most of what I know from Modernist Cuisine, the heaviest thing I own.

Nah, collagen starts to break down at 50C or a bit under (the 120F you cook at). I usually go 48 for tender meats, and 49/50 for slightly tougher ones. Then just leave them as long as it takes. Meat doesn't go bad when sous vide, "this meat is too tender" is rarely something one hears. :D

I learned most of what I know from Modernist Cuisine, the heaviest thing I own.

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Apparently beef is what’s for dinner tonight 😁. Can’t beat @DitmasPork ’s photo skills, but the reverse seared T-bone was delicious. Low effort meal with crudités, warm pita, and hummus.

View attachment 112536

(and yes, I used a nakiri for the steak, square knives need love too!)
Reverse sear is awesomeness! TBH, I prefer your meal—hard to beat T-bone; better sides with pita, hummus and crudités; and the garnish of a pair of cucumber tops on the upper left is a nice touch. Fancy!

A week of binge watching Midnight Diner and Japanese home cooking...
Have to start with pork and miso stew with burdock, konnyaku & daikon
View attachment 112112
Nikujaga with shirataki noodles
View attachment 112111
Tonkatsu with zaru soba
View attachment 112116
Hayashi rice
View attachment 112113
Shogayaki pork belly with broccolini goma-ae
View attachment 112114
Zaru soba and shungoku goma-ae
View attachment 112115
I love that series! Always a fan of your meals too 🤟

View attachment 112440View attachment 112442View attachment 112443View attachment 112441

What is the bag of spice in the first picture in the stainless-steel pot? I noticed you served it in an enameled pot. Does one cook better? Why change pots? It looks like a tea bag.

Very nice looking meal for cold weather.

Last edited:
What is the bag of spice in the first picture in the stainless-steel pot? I noticed you served it in an enameled pot. Does one cook better? Why change pots? It looks like a tea bag.

The key to this dish is getting rid of the fat. Plus, the enamel pot isn’t big enough to hold everything.

Here’s my process: I start everything in a pot large enough to hold everything comfortably. I cook it at about 190f (a lazy bubble now and then) for three hours or so. If I have tongue or cottechino or kielbasa those go separately. Pork, chicken, some veal cuts would go in after an hour or so. While the meats are cooking I parboil each vegetable separately in clear water. When the meat is done I put the broth through a fat separator. I put the veg in one clean pot, the meat in another, pour some broth in each pot, heat through and serve

the teabag had dried thyme, bay leaves cloves and peppercorns

The key to this dish is getting rid of the fat. Plus, the enamel pot isn’t big enough to hold everything.

Here’s my process: I start everything in a pot large enough to hold everything comfortably. I cook it at about 190f (a lazy bubble now and then) for three hours or so. If I have tongue or cottechino or kielbasa those go separately. Pork, chicken, some veal cuts would go in after an hour or so. While the meats are cooking I parboil each vegetable separately in clear water. When the meat is done I put the broth through a fat separator. I put the veg in one clean pot, the meat in another, pour some broth in each pot, heat through and serve

the teabag had dried thyme, bay leaves cloves and peppercorns
Some of you may be old enough to remember Herbert Hoover’s presidential campaign in 1932 where he promised a chicken in every pot and a car in every garage. He actually stole the quote from Henry IV of France, talking about the poultry version of this dish, poule au pot
https://culinarylore.com/food-history:did-hoover-say-a-chicken-in-every-pot/

Just putting my pans away thought this illustrates why I chose one pan over the other. I have a still larger one too.
image.jpg

Back