Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some Cantonese comfort food.
Tomato beef stir fry

IMG_0766.jpeg

My next attempt will have some form of beef that isn't just ground. This was part ground chuck, part dry aged ground beef from Porter Road, and part ground pork. I'll probably use some english cut beef rib or something that is well marbled, with connective tissue and flavorful, maybe I'll just try big chunks of chuck, and dice/shred after they're completely soft.

I must have watched 14 or more YouTube recipes like I normally do when wanting to dive into something like this. Oddly, the only one I saw that used something whole cut rather than ground (everything) was Matty Matheson. His texture looked unctuous and inviting.
Honestly... and I'm going to speak total heresy here... but as long as there's enough umami boost in there and you add some beef stock it doesn't really matter a lot for the end result what you put in there. I've made mine with 'frozen chicken döner' + some coppa and guanciale quite a few times simply because it's what I happened to have at hand and it came out almost indistinguishable from more traditional choices, as long as I kept everything else the same (wine, tomato, sofritto, etc).
Texture would be different but personally I don't think I'd care for the stringy shredded meat texture, but that's more personal preference.

Lamb leg steak from Sonoma county with mash, ratatouille, sautéed cabbage, salad and fresh mint sauce…
IMG_1727.jpeg
IMG_1726.jpeg

Shout out to the good folk at Sonoma County Meat Co. who show up at my neighborhood farmer’s market every other week with a nice variety of meats and sausages that they process all from local farms and ranches.
IMG_1351.jpeg

Last edited:
I made Paella with what I had around. I used my gas grill outside. It sure was hot.
What I don't like is the color of the shrimp. I think I will stick to only using the spice in the dish not on the shrimp.

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

Last edited:
Life cycle of a baguette…
The subject is a hearty, rustic type from my neighborhood boulangerie.
IMG_1736.jpeg

Stage 1: my BLT lunch with cucumbers and pickled onions
IMG_1730.jpeg

IMG_1731.jpeg

Stage 2: with our bockwurst dinner with mash, ratatouille and salad.
IMG_1740.jpeg

71392792542__98FC144C-B3FE-43CB-8D38-23A8F80CA38A.fullsizerender.jpeg

Stage 3: the remains made into a savory bread pudding with leftover ratatouille and parmigiana, served with a crisp salad for a light supper the next day…
IMG_1743.jpeg
IMG_1744.jpeg

The wife and I set out to eat well this weekend and we have so far accomplished that goal.

It's fight night so I set everything out on the living room table so we could be lazy. :)

Ribeye and grilled russets (leftover from yesterday), both finished in butter and garlic. The last couple broccoli florets simply steamed alongside a carrot puree with cinnamon and sumac. Garden fresh salad with balsamic vinaigrette. Bread pan seared in the steak butter and rubbed with garlic.

20230819_182615.jpg

Another successful forage in the New England woods today, my wife and I brought home a decent haul of black trumpets, smooth chanterelles, and chicken-of-the-woods. The trumpets are the most delicate, so I cooked them first (olive oil and fresh thyme tossed with fettuccine). The chanterelles were slightly past their prime and most went into the dehydrator for later use. Not sure yet what I’m going to do with the chickens.

IMG_6361.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Work was gonna toss some good stuff so swiped it and made some stuff.

Mushrooms stuffed with chicken mousseline, tomato sauce, mozzarella and glazed with its own drippings, butter and white wine.

Handmade pasta with a creamy tomato lobster sauce.

Caviar toast with eggs and creme frache

Attachments

• 20230814_163244.jpg
    20230814_163244.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230815_200440.jpg
    20230815_200440.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230815_193856.jpg
    20230815_193856.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230814_182635.jpg