Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sheep's milk cheese in a whey reduction with a relish made of ripe mango, pickled red onion, sushi ginger:

46279957vf.jpeg

Knife used: Misono UX10 240, a very underrated knife.
Take 2:

46284811gh.jpeg

Knife used: Will Newham 52100

Last edited:
Pla pao ubon but with holy basil which takes over my garden every late summer. The fish is black sea bass from the fish wholesaler this morning. I cleaned and reverse butterflied it (x3) with an FRKZ blue2 deba and scissors.

IMG_1259.jpeg

Duck nonfit, lentils, roasted fennel, salad…
View attachment 267558View attachment 267559
When you don’t want to confit, low and slow in the toaster oven yields a tasty facsimile…
View attachment 267557

made a large batch if nonfit duck legs yesterday. thanks for the tip.

since only half of the legs were used for the meal, the remaining duck fat was enough to fully cover the remaining legs in a container now residing in my fridge.

a really simple way to get confit legs out of leftovers and without using humongous amounts of duckfat.

this will be my new go-to-method for hacking confit de canard. a bit of a cheat, but no worse result than doing the gargantuan fat tub version.

a really simple way to get confit legs out of leftovers and without using humongous amounts of duckfat.

this will be my new go-to-method for hacking confit de canard. a bit of a cheat, but no worse result than doing the gargantuan fat tub version.
Sous vide is great for confit. Just add a tablespoon of duck fat to the initial batch. Enough fat renders out of the meat each time that you can save it and use it for the next batch, with some left over for other purposes.

Sous vide is great for confit. Just add a tablespoon of duck fat to the initial batch. Enough fat renders out of the meat each time that you can save it and use it for the next batch, with some left over for other purposes.

yeah, that's true. it's actually what i have done for the last few years. (as well as with carnitas.) the confit-by-nonfit byproduct is just another and convenient option. if going straight to confit, yes, bag in a water bath is the best way to do it.

Turns out if you have too much maseca you can use it instead of flour for fried chicken. Both as a first dusting before eggs and panko and also as a southern style buttermilk fried chicken final craggly layer. It gets crunchy but stays tender, more so than flour.

20230910_181443.jpg

I still have 2kg of of 1 week to expiration maseca and I simply cannot make more torillas. Any other suggestions for maseca?

Coleslaw: green cabbage, carrots, edamame, red serrano peppers, scallions, kewpie mayo, gochugaru, fish sauce, rice vinegar, sesame seeds

IMG_1712.jpeg

Shallow fried chicken thighs: marinated overnight in buttermilk, gochujang, fish sauce, garlic & ginger purée; dredged in flour, gochugaru, ginger powder, garlic powder, salt

IMG_1714.jpeg

Fresh baked brioche buns

IMG_1713.jpeg

Build it all up with a fried egg on top, and you have yourself an epic sandwich

IMG_1718.jpeg

I'm growing some blue oyster mushrooms as well. These things, once they get going, are really fast!

Day 1 (The day before, basically nothing was visible, except for some tiny knobs):

IMG_5880.JPG

After 24 more hours:

IMG_5883.JPG

Another 24 hours later:

IMG_5884.JPG

Ready after another 36 hours:

IMG_5886.JPG

Here they are, fried with a teriyaki glaze, mackerel lightly cured with salt and vinegar, sushi rice, and assorted pickles (mustard greens, daikon, spring onion, ginger, burdock, and cucumber):

IMG_5889.jpg

Back