Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lunch prep for next day
20230905_210647.jpg
20230905_212053.jpg
20230905_213458.jpg

Made miso mushroom soup with Somen from scratch, including the stock (Kombu, Shiitake, Katsuobushi). Mushrooms are Shiitake, Enoki, and King Oyster. Better than any miso soup I’ve ever eaten, even at very expensive restaurants. Making your own stock makes a massive difference.

IMG_5899.jpg

Last edited:
Made miso mushroom soup with Somen from scratch, including the stock (Kombu, Shiitake, Katsuobushi). Mushrooms are Shiitake, Enoki, and King Oyster. Better than any miso soup I’ve ever eaten, even at very expensive restaurants. Making your own stock makes a massive difference.

View attachment 269434
I scored several pounds of maitake mushrooms while on a hike yesterday. I’ve got the ugly and tough bits simmering now with kombu, onion, ginger and a handful of dried shiitake. Wild mushroom ramen is on the menu tonight!

We invited my step son and his fiance over for dinner a week before their wedding. I had decided on making meatballs so I went on a bit of a meatball marathon... 60 meatballs later (with 40 in the freezer) they were simmering in the sauce. With a bottle of Montepulciano D'abruzzo, it made for a very satisfying meal.

IMG_9501.jpg
IMG_9502.jpg
IMG_9503.jpg
IMG_9506.jpg

Picked up a mushroom kit the other day. Lion's Mane.
The second flush is starting:

IMG_5922.JPG

While I was out shopping, I found these dried lion's mane mushrooms at an Asian grocery store.

IMG_5915.jpg

100 g for AUD 4.95, which is cheap, so I decided to try them. Here they are after reconstituting 50 g:

IMG_5916.jpg

After squeezing out all the water, I ended up with 170 g. I turned them into lion's mane patties with a dressing of mayonaisse, garlic, dijon, and a bit of soy sauce. Served with grilled octopus with a herb, lemon, and EVO marinade, and a salad with a Thai style dressing.

IMG_5918.jpg

Back