Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The green is definitely more versatile.

tumblr_lpbi6nACJt1qbm0v2o1_500.gif

For the record I didn't make either of these, but I was definitely cracking up at the dichotomy of our kitchen today:

Special: Prosciutto wrapped shrimp, roasted red pepper risotto, basil oil

1712807105221.png

And what the dishwasher wanted for dinner:

1712807252065.png

Four fat slabs of cottage bacon, four slices of pepperjack, toasted bun, tartar sauce.

Shakin' my heckin head xD

Economy Bee Hoon, part 2. Second go at the popular Singaporean hawker noodles in as many nights. On my plate—economy bee hoon, fried egg, fried vegan SPAM, fried tofu, skillet charred Brussels sprouts with garlic, sautéed gailan with olive oil, lime, chili-garlic sauce, zhug (Israeli/Yemeni green sauce), scallion.
1C79FBDC-2B62-4A42-851C-81515E54644B.jpeg

29E9BCB0-6E0A-4B17-B2D0-5037BB907760.jpeg

C60CC989-6DE5-49DF-9E1A-687475B836C7.jpeg

80D3D5D3-55EE-43A5-92A9-A060E35FBFD5.jpeg

Economy Bee Hoon, part 2. Second go at the popular Singaporean hawker noodles in as many nights. On my plate—economy bee hoon, fried egg, fried vegan SPAM, fried tofu, skillet charred Brussels sprouts with garlic, sautéed gailan with olive oil, lime, chili-garlic sauce, zhug (Israeli/Yemeni green sauce), scallion.
View attachment 314641
View attachment 314642
View attachment 314643
View attachment 314644

Red and green zhug is the combo for sure. That chili garlic sauce is the closest I've found to red zhug in the US.

Roasted bone marrow with beef cheek marmalade and roasted garlic confit. Definitely a riff on the Au Cheval dish. Theirs is better, but mine is closer.

0E0DFBA8-52ED-4404-8F4A-1E88B04CA5BE.jpeg

Seared beef cheeks, pressure cooked them in beef stock and demi glace for an hour, and chilled them in their liquid. Defatted the stock, strained and reduced it before infusing with clove, star anise, and chili flake. I rethermed the cheeks in a circulator to make them easier to shred and pulled them apart with my fingers. They got seared in some beef fat before being glopped up with the gelatinous demi glace and Madeira reduction. Chives tossed through at the end.

51D63ACB-6C32-423D-AFD0-76B4B21A20CB.jpeg

Marrow toast with Fallot tarragon mustard, confit garlic, lemon zest, parsley, and Maldon salt.

B6A896C4-F394-4CBA-A53B-C5C1186C3BD6.jpeg

Roasted bone marrow with beef cheek marmalade and roasted garlic confit. Definitely a riff on the Au Cheval dish. Theirs is better, but mine is closer.

View attachment 314654

Seared beef cheeks, pressure cooked them in beef stock and demi glace for an hour, and chilled them in their liquid. Defatted the stock, strained and reduced it before infusing with clove, star anise, and chili flake. I rethermed the cheeks in a circulator to make them easier to shred and pulled them apart with my fingers. They got seared in some beef fat before being glopped up with the gelatinous demi glace and Madeira reduction. Chives tossed through at the end.

View attachment 314656

Marrow toast with Fallot tarragon mustard, confit garlic, lemon zest, parsley, and Maldon salt.

View attachment 314655
I agree that a meal like that must be served on an end grain walnut board.

Red and green zhug is the combo for sure. That chili garlic sauce is the closest I've found to red zhug in the US.
I've made green zhug, though this one's store bought. Interested in trying out the red variety! My wife always complains that 3/4 of the 'fridge is occupied by condiments—I certainly have room in there for red zhug.

I've made green zhug, though this one's store bought. Interested in trying out the red variety! My wife always complains that 3/4 of the 'fridge is occupied by condiments—I certainly have room in there for red zhug.

I've spent a few months living in the mid east and it's good stuff. Has a slightly different flavor profile from the typical SE Asian chili garlic sauce because of the addition of cumin, warming spices, and sometimes cilantro, but at least the SEA stuff gets the fruity, garlicky heat. If you make it yourself, fresno chili will get you the right color and some decent heat, but you could probably add red thai/birdseye if you wanna go hotter.

You can find recipes under skhug adom or zhug adom (or other transliterations), can also just search for red zhug. Examples:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/red-zhoug-ori-menashe-bavel

https://yummymideast.com/salads-and-dressings/red-zhug-recipe/

You'll see there's definitely variation in the ingredients. I'm sure different subregions and families all have their own take. Basic essence is red chilis, garlic, cumin, and some types of warming spice and herb.

View attachment 314641
View attachment 314642
View attachment 314643
View attachment 314644
The noodles look great! Could I ask who was the maker of the gyuto?

Latest posts

Back