Whats cooking? **** Making something fine and fancy?** Just plain good? Show us!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weinershnitzel (or however you spell it when you haven't drunk half a bottle of amarone) for our anniversary. Sadly no knifework required.

View attachment 314684
It's 'Wienerschnitzel'... a reference to the city of Wien (Vienna).
Technically speaking a real wienerschnitzel should be made with veal meat, otherwise it's just a 'schnitzel wiener art' (schnitzel viennese style).

It's 'Wienerschnitzel'... a reference to the city of Wien (Vienna).
Technically speaking a real wienerschnitzel should be made with veal meat, otherwise it's just a 'schnitzel wiener art' (schnitzel viennese style).
It was made with Veal

I have had the real thing in Vienna, which was to be fair slightly better than mine. They take them very seriously there.

Chiming in here when it's all about the Wiener Schnitzel...

The real Wiener Schnitzel should definitely be made with veal and pan fried in clarified butter (or lard which I don't particularly like but others do). Both adds so much flavour and really turns it into a treat.

Most places make it out of pork meat, though, and deep fried in cheap sh*t. While that still creates a feeling of satiety, there is not much pleasure involved during its consumption. Cheap will probably cost half of the real thing. But the real thing is worth every penny.

Some add a slice of lemon, either squeeze a bit of its juice over the Wiener Schnitzel, or cut off a piece and press on the lemon slice for a moment. Some eat it with cranberry/lingonberry jam. Sides include potatoes with parsley and/or different types of salad (green, cucumber, potatoes), nowadays even french fries or rice. Ketchup? I clearly say, "No. Never. Ever". But if you're a ketchup person and need to make everything taste like ketchup, then please, for G**'s sake, only do it with the pork version. BTW, the pork version shall not be called Wiener Schnitzel, but rather "Schnitzel Wiener Art".

And to all my German friends: ONE DOES NOT ADD ANY SAUCE TO WIENER SCHNITZEL. :facepalm:

Last edited:
The real Wiener Schnitzel should definitely be made with veal and pan fried in clarified butter (or lard which I don't particularly like but others do). Both adds so much flavour and really turns it into a treat.
The trick is to have the Schnitzel float in the fat and to keep it moving the entire time. The crust is supposed to separate from the meat so you end up with something that is very crispy and encases the meat with an air gap between the crust and the meat.

You can see the technique in this video. You can also see what happens if you put sauce on a Wiener Schnitzel at 0:26.

"w1". We have a thread for that;)
Old habits die hard, w1 and w2 are always white no 1 and white no 2 for me when talking about Japanese made knives—no reason to change, seems only an issue with the pedantic set. It’s quicker typing w1, most can figure it out, …akin to FYI, AFAIK, ATM, etc.

Last edited:
Here's a fusion recipe well-like by my family. Sorry, no photos.
Nonno’s Italo-Pakistani Spicy Pasta
Ingredients
2-3 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp spicy Italian seasoning (this I bought/buy in Italy. Replicate it
[hopefully] by adding some red pepper flakes to standard supermarket
Italian Seasoning)
1 lb penne rigate or other short pasta (pasta should be white, not yellow,
indicating slow air-drying. Fast oven-drying is what turns industrial pasta
yellow)
2 Pakistani chicken seekh kebabs, sliced into rounds
Directions
Boil 1 gal. water, add 2 Tbsp salt. While water heats, warm oil in a small
skillet and stir in seasoning. Add kebab rounds, stirring gently but well to
ensure all are coated. Set aside.
When water boils, dump pasta in holus-bolus; stir. When water returns to
boil, start timing. I usually cook pasta one minute less than package
directions say—and then I fish a piece out to see whether more is needed
(usually yes). N.B.: white pasta always takes more cooking than yellow.
Heat all pasta bowls in hot water or microwave.
When you consider pasta done, dump into warmed serving bowl. Dump
and mix in the hot oil/seasoning/kebab sauce. Serve in warmed bowls.
Sprinkle w/ Parmigiano-Reggiano if you like, but cheese is not normally
added to spicy pasta dishes.

Pizza night - red onion, nduja and wild garlic.
IMG_6839.JPG

For the record I didn't make either of these, but I was definitely cracking up at the dichotomy of our kitchen today:

Special: Prosciutto wrapped shrimp, roasted red pepper risotto, basil oil

View attachment 314579

And what the dishwasher wanted for dinner:

View attachment 314580

Four fat slabs of cottage bacon, four slices of pepperjack, toasted bun, tartar sauce.

Shakin' my heckin head xD
Your dishwasher just said give me every calorie you have back there

Lamb chops with mint, sorrel, parsley, and chive chimichurri.Saffron rice with spring peas. Dressed pea shoots with lemon. Carrots, grilled and balsamic glazed. Grilled asparagus. Roast baby turnip with lamb jus. Butter braised purple daikon. Watermelon radish.

2C02D6AD-3F42-48FB-BF75-88AE120E72ED.jpeg

739EA04A-0FDE-4A1F-9005-00DF9B4863E2.jpeg

824B14EC-B50B-4EE2-A187-12043E6203D4.jpeg

01CB295F-C9A2-45D2-91CC-DFF4E6EF3EA4.jpeg

D9C5E7F7-D280-4588-9F66-20C0D6EE82D7.jpeg

Chiming in here when it's all about the Wiener Schnitzel...

Most places make it out of pork meat, though, and deep fried in cheap sh*t. While that still creates a feeling of satiety, there is not much pleasure involved during its consumption. Cheap will probably cost half of the real thing. But the real thing is worth every penny.

Some add a slice of lemon, either squeeze a bit of its juice over the Wiener Schnitzel, or cut off a piece and press on the lemon slice for a moment. Some eat it with cranberry/lingonberry jam. Sides include potatoes with parsley and/or different types of salad (green, cucumber, potatoes), nowadays even french fries or rice. Ketchup? I clearly say, "No. Never. Ever". But if you're a ketchup person and need to make everything taste like ketchup, then please, for G**'s sake, only do it with the pork version. BTW, the pork version shall not be called Wiener Schnitzel, but rather "Schnitzel Wiener Art".

And to all my German friends: ONE DOES NOT ADD ANY SAUCE TO WIENER SCHNITZEL. :facepalm:
The main mistake I see being made here whenever people are preparing something sold under the name schnitzel is that they try to skimp on the fat. The best advise I ever got was from a German butcher who said 'das soll schwimmen in butter' - It should swim in butter. But for some reason too many people here insist on frying in a very tiny amount of oil.
Admittedly it's somewhat academic since what's sold here under the name schnitzel is an insult to the Germanic world. They even dare to sell 'wienerschnitzel' made of pork here.

Haven't used my Takagi Honyaki to cook a meal in a while just breaking down cardboard boxes for recycle bin.

Wild Alaska salmon kinda Chinese style steamed fish. First time steamed salmon. Even poured hot oil on it at finish. It tasted good. Made saffron rice.

Salad arugula, lettuce, tomato from garden. Cucumber, radish, avocado, Okinawan sweet potatoes.

Steam fish with green onions & ginger. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, broccoli, & asparagus later. Steam fish style soy sauce. Hot oil sesame & peanut oils.
20240413_153509.jpg
20240413_154426.jpg
20240413_154748.jpg
20240413_161159.jpg

Fillet, Japanese sweet potato, and freshly foraged morel mushrooms. Pretty tasty!
View attachment 315127View attachment 315128
Those morels are frickin' *mint*. We wont' start seeing them for another month or so, but we're like a morel hotspot so people are out there industrial harvesting, and it's getting harder every year to just go pluck a few without getting into a turf war xD

Those morels are frickin' *mint*. We wont' start seeing them for another month or so, but we're like a morel hotspot so people are out there industrial harvesting, and it's getting harder every year to just go pluck a few without getting into a turf war xD
Bring.....knives? 👀

Back